Nissan Rogue oil and OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife just bought a 2020 Nissan Rogue. The manual specifies 0w20 oil to be changed every 5,000 miles. I am used to doing 10k changes with Mobil 1 EP, so this seems wasteful and excessive to me. I guess for warranty purposes I will do the 5k changes, but will probably continue to use Mobil 1 EP just to keep my OCD going...

The transmission will fail long before you have any engine problems doing 10K oil changes on Mobil1 oil. It's a port injected engine so it's not going to destroy oil.

Congrats on the new Rogue. Nothing wrong with 5k oci using M1 EP, especially if you take advantage of sales and rebates along the way.

The CVT has been improved upon over the past few years. You should get a long life from it as well as the rest of the vehicle with proper maintenance.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
Wife just bought a 2020 Nissan Rogue. The manual specifies 0w20 oil to be changed every 5,000 miles. I am used to doing 10k changes with Mobil 1 EP, so this seems wasteful and excessive to me. I guess for warranty purposes I will do the 5k changes, but will probably continue to use Mobil 1 EP just to keep my OCD going...

It only seems wasteful and excessive, should you not be a first and last owner.
I would run all the cheap house brands, if I were the typical, original new vehicle purchaser that only keeps the vehicle several years and 100K.

If you plan on keeping that new ride until it's old age and rusted, Mobil-1 EP is a great choice for 5K. If not, then Kirkland, NAPA, Supertech, Rural King...... etc .... oils will fill-the-bill.

BTW.... my daughter's new-then, but now two years-old Rogue came with two free Oil and Filter changes. Yours didn't come with any?

Last edited:
Those QR25 engines like good oil. I would - after wear in - run the EP or brand " V" and go 10K.

But do an OCI.or two and keep it with the records for evidence of due diligence.

I am doing this with the wife's subaru crosstrek whilst under extended engine warranty, and the b S report shows very low wear, insol and good remaining TBN. Early and too frequent OCI cause MORE engine wear and VVT failures.

And that just with Valvoline or Magnatec..

Remember way back at API SM rollout, PCMO were reformulated for OML or 1x / year OCI.

And current oils are MUCH stouter than they were back then over a decade ago.

BTW I beat the Hades out of my CVT and it was still going strong when I traded it.

NOT many are tougher on cars and trannies than me. ( that's transmissions not trans whatever ...!!!)

Big deal is to do an early pan drain on the CVT ( say 15>20K miles)
Then one every 60K or so.

I like the Japanese rogue select better than what the new Rogue has become.
The unitbody just felt tighter and had higher frequency body ringing.

I wish they put the 2.5L engine in the new Rogue Sport.

That's the old beloved global platform Qashqai.

That new Rogue is roomy for sure though!

Like a limo in the second row.

engine:

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
My wife has a 2018 and we like it. Plenty of pep for a 4 banger, roomy and gets 26-30 mpg. Nissans pretty stern on warranty when it comes to oil changes. I bought enough valvoline 0-20 high mileage to take care of oil changes for the first 45k and I buy ac delco pf1237 filters on amazon for $3.50 a piece and change every 5k. Valvoline says high mileage oils can be used in a new car and synthetic @$1.92 a quart was to hard to pass up. As far as the cvt goes, I'd do a drain and fill every 25k as preventive maintenance. Plenty of people rip on the cvt yet ignore the fact that tons of Chrysler, Chevy and ford trannys fail in the same time frame just as often.

Seems odd for them to require 5k OCI's. If it was me, I'd just use a cheaper 0W20 on a 5k interval.

Originally Posted by supton
Seems odd for them to require 5k OCI's. If it was me, I'd just use a cheaper 0W20 on a 5k interval.

That's been the exact plan for my daughter's 2018 Rogue. She always asks me to buy NAPA Synthetic 0W20 when on sale. My salesman tactics to buy a name-brand oil doesn't work with her.....lol.

Her three year lease is about to end in July. She wants another Rogue next time. She likes the ride, room, looks and gas mileage. She wants another white exterior color.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back