2019 Camaro SS PUP 0w-40 3.7k miles

I currently have a 2019 Camaro SS, traded my 2016 Camaro V6. I had always used PUP 5w-30 with my V6, so naturally started using PUP 0w-40 in the SS and thought nothing of it. Well, the SS calls for Dexos2, and the PUP definitely is not the correct spec. I knew the SRT logo was on it, but wasn't aware it was made specifically for Dodge. I'm actually pretty disappointed in myself for not paying closer attention. The car has a little over 10k miles now, it has been running the PUP for about 8.5k miles. After reading about LSPI issues, I've been really worried I damaged the engine, but have done enough research that I feel better about it. Anyway...here is my first ever UOA!

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 126
Last edited:
Iron low from my little experience looks good
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, that's also what I gathered. I have since put in Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0w-40 that was developed specifically for my engine, and that all it will ever see from now on.

Can't be too mad though, looks like a great report. I'm pleased.
I'll send another sample in on my next oil change and get the TBN to see where I stand. Will probably change at 3k miles and see what they say. I'm pretty positive it can go at least 5k, but that should be a good start.

0w-40 dexos2, which is recommended for street and track use. Otherwise, 5w-30 dexos1 gen2 for street only. Engine is a 6.2L, 376ci.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Boring on a new engine. This is great news thank you for posting.

Yeah, no problem! I've been lurking here for years, finally got around to contributing. Hopefully the reports stay boring and uneventful lol

It looks fine to me, I'm sure no damage done from the PUP 0W40

Yeah switch to a Dexos2 oil, it's often used as the petrol (gas) engine performance oil in Australia for GM (Holden), as well as their diesel engine oil. Over here we get some nice ones that are ACEA C3, Dexos2 and MB 229.51. I'm sure you get similar.

Great car, enjoy!!!

If the wear metals go up in the next couple of M1 oil changes I'd switch back to the PUP 0W/40 and see if the wear metals go back down. If they do, PUP 0W/40 it is.

Rod

Originally Posted by BubblesSS
PUP 0w-40 isn't dexos certified, that's why I switched over to M1.

IMO Mobil 1 ESP is a much better choice. Good move making the switch.

Yea, use an oil that won't void your warranty, BUT, this PUP did well in your LT engine. I don't see a reason to feel bad about anything.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
Yea, use an oil that won't void your warranty, BUT, this PUP did well in your LT engine. I don't see a reason to feel bad about anything.

Lesson learned! I'm eager to see the test results on the new Mobil 1.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Did you add a moly additive to this oil or does pup 0W40 have this moly level?

No additives. Is moly a good thing?

The forum won't let me open the attachment for some reason. Either way, that is a very good oil designed for a very similar engine. Don't sweat it one bit. I'd run it in my CTS-V

Back