Kreen actually works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by D1dad
What was saturns issue with consumption? My son in laws sister has one with almost 300k on it and uses a quart every 1k but the thing runs like a Swiss Watch. She just drove it from ohio to Miami and back and I didn't figure she'd make it but not so much as a hiccup. She was given the car and was told it's always used a qt per 1k and it's stayed true to the word.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Kreen works well for cleaning, but it can't fix worn rings or low tension rings. I tried it in saturns, they would be clean, but still used oil. Piston lands clean on tear down.

Low tension piston rings. Some years seem worse than others. Seems to me it was worse in the 1995 and up models( s-series). There were theories of coked piston rings from inadequate drain back holes on the Pistons. I've torn them down and found no coked rings even in an 01 that was using a quart in 400 miles.

I think Saturn pushed the low tension ring envelope in the search for mpg. I've gotten 40 on an sc1 manual with a glasspack, all while burning a quart of oil per fill-up.

There is no way I'd replace an engine burning 3/4 quart per thousand miles. The thing will probably go another 100,000 as long as you keep it topped off. Have you tried switching brands and types of oil to see if any burn less?? Now I can say I would be [censored] if it burned it since new for sure. Perhaps you can try a catch can type of setup to keep it from actually having to burn the oil through the converter.

I just found a crack in the pcv tube over the weekend so I replaced it, changed the oil with 5-30 gas truck and sent him on his way back to college. Maybe the tube cracked in between and added to the consumption. I did pour around 8 ounces of kreen in and ran the car for 200 miles before I changed it. Still waiting for a 500 mile report.

Well 1k later (college and back) the car used nothing. I forgot to mention that I added a half qt of Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer that the GM tech in the family circle gave me along with the last oil change. My daughter bought a pice of crap g6 with an ecotec and it used 3qts every 3k @90k. Her fiancée dumped a qt of Lucas, mineral not synthetic, and it didn't use a drop the next 2k. I'm not advocating for Lucas but had nothing to lose and it was free. So if a quart of lucas keeps this thing from using oil then so be it. Maybe it was the multiple kreen doses or the heavier gas truck oil, but for now it's manageable. I checked the cars mpg on the dash and it averaged 29mpg on a hard 80mph trip home. Whatever. I'll update if the engine blows through the hood.

Originally Posted by D1dad
Well 1k later (college and back) the car used nothing. I forgot to mention that I added a half qt of Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer that the GM tech in the family circle gave me along with the last oil change. My daughter bought a pice of crap g6 with an ecotec and it used 3qts every 3k @90k. Her fiancée dumped a qt of Lucas, mineral not synthetic, and it didn't use a drop the next 2k. I'm not advocating for Lucas but had nothing to lose and it was free. So if a quart of lucas keeps this thing from using oil then so be it. Maybe it was the multiple kreen doses or the heavier gas truck oil, but for now it's manageable. I checked the cars mpg on the dash and it averaged 29mpg on a hard 80mph trip home. Whatever. I'll update if the engine blows through the hood.

You could probably accomplish the same thing with blue bottle STP once you use the free Lucas up. IMO of the two the STP is more than likely a better product, if the word better could be used for either one of those products.

Not a huge Lucas fan but due to the viscosity it does seem to help with oil usage in many applications. If I were to use a product like that, it would probably be Schaeffer Moly EP. At least it has some beneficial additives and not just a thickener.

I've used Lucas in a PS pump and it was like epoxy. The synthetic stabilizer poured fairly easy unlike the conventional additive. My future son in law has used the stuff religiously in an 07 gmc with active fuel management and @150k the truck uses no oil as opposed to many who experienced massive consumption with the 5.3. I generally don't believe in $13 bottles of goo to mask a problem, but if it keeps a 10yr old car from running out of oil then I'll use it without fear or even a care. I had 3 different things going on that may have contributed to the end result.

He drove the car home from Illinois, then followed us up to Boyne mountain and back which was 600 miles round trip. Car was loaded with gear and ran hard. So it's got 2k on it since the kreen run, Rotella gas truck and 1/2 qt of Lucas synthetic stabilizer and I'm floored. Not a drop has disappeared. I know there's plenty of folks here who don't like "snake oil" but this is proof that they work. It was 17 degrees when we left and I noticed the 2 second clatter on cold mornings was gone when first starting as well. I'm gonna use this cocktail going forward as I don't know what helped but for now saved me from swapping in a used motor.

Last edited:
It's not snake oil if it's meeting your needs/expectations. Glad you found a solution that's working..ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Yeah me too. I'm beside myself right now over this. Normally in 2k this car would have went through at least 1.5, maybe 2. Especially given the fact the most of the miles were highway miles at 80mph which is where it consumed the most.

Stop posting your Lucas horse sheet on here. Im sure the Kreen helped from the get go & going with a good/quality oil like Rottela was super beneficial also. Not your Lucas that I see your posting on another thread at the moment also. Lucas =/equals -- SNAKE OIL!!!

Yeah I can't in good faith run Lucas. I know it's been used for millions of miles by truckers and I know people who have added it every oil change for 2-300k. I take care of my cars and this one is just an anomaly that I can't whip. I tried a piston soak with the last quart of kreen I had left...thanks Trav for the help. I added an ounce to each cylinder according to the directions on the can which I followed to a T, as well as the rest in the crankcase, then drove it for around an hour once I finally got it started......which wasn't easy btw. After 24 hrs none of the kreen had leaked down...not sure if that's good or bad? I'm now running a bottle of redline sl-1 or whatever that stuff is. I changed the oil with formula shell and after the tank of redline is ran through I'll change it again. I may even change the plugs and do a compression test although I'm not sure I wanna know. I did do another drain and fill on the new cvt and put all new Bosch rotors and pads front to back. I look at the condition of this car and the upkeep it's had and shake my head. I spoke to a guy who had the same altima yesterday and he had 180k on it and his car consumes no oil and all he's ever had was Walmart or quick lube cheap oil changes. I guess sometimes it doesn't pay to be ocd on car maintenance.

Well I developed a valve tick in my 2008 X5 3.0si a couple of weeks ago. Did the "computer" oil level check and it says all was "OK". I added in 1/2 quart of Valvoline High Mileage 5w-30 and 1/2 a quart of Kreen. Car is running super smooth. Granted she has about 142,000 on her but still running great. I have used Kreen in the past in my 2004 Tahoe 5.3 and it smoothed out all the valve ticking that has never returned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back