Grain Free Dog Food Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feed my dogs dog from from Walmart that is their own expensive brand (Balanced I think is the name).

We other other problems with dogs, like porcupine interaction, slipping on ice damaging ACL and old age lazy peeing.

I try and avoid food that has meat byproducts. Meat byproducts can be anything but bones, teeth and fur. Does not sound tasty.

And then there is the cat, older and has caught no mice this winter so far.

That news article has been around for a few years . I guess it gets recycled I would bet it is some what fake news promoted by the grain filled dog food producers..

our bischon is scratching less + even better overall if thats possible on earthborn holistics grain free canned food, switched from blue buffalo when they sold out to a "bigdog"food producer + he started scratching more, as bischons are known for skin issues. check out healthypets.com with dr karen becker for tips + truth on todays poor pet food + weak regulations! even worse than big pharma for humans!!

The problem seems to revolve around the peas, lentils and potatoes that have been incorporated to replace the grains. Somehow one of these ingredients or a couple of them are blocking and or restricting the uptake of taurine which is important, very important for dogs and the health of their hearts. These foods are formulated for a specific nutritional profile and something is being upset by the change.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
Originally Posted by Gebo
I'm glad my 3 dogs are fed Bil Jac.

Bil Jac also makes a grain-free formula.

You are correct. I just never considered it.

Originally Posted by benjy
our bischon is scratching less + even better overall if thats possible on earthborn holistics grain free canned food, switched from blue buffalo when they sold out to a "bigdog"food producer + he started scratching more, as bischons are known for skin issues. check out healthypets.com with dr karen becker for tips + truth on todays poor pet food + weak regulations! even worse than big pharma for humans!!

But isn't that a problem with the breed rather than the food? I mean I'm glad it works for you but extrapolating that experience to all breeds isn't necessarily valid.

From my experience, "wild" dogs are complete omnivores. The coyotes in my area routinely strip our garden of everything if they are not kept out, and this includes corn and other grains.

Funny thing is that a dog in the wild wouldn't live anytime at all compared to a domesticated dog. Yep,absolute marketing bs.

Originally Posted by CT8
That news article has been around for a few years . I guess it gets recycled I would bet it is some what fake news promoted by the grain filled dog food producers..

No it's been understood for years a legume diet without taurine supplementation leads to enlarged hearts and congestive heart failure. This has been experienced and studied for years.

Simply Fido is not a wolf and never will be.

Less than 600 cases out of millions of dogs on grain free diets is not an indication of anything. From the article the OP linked...

"According to Dr. Klein, "At this time, there is no proof that these ingredients are the cause of DCM in a broader range of dogs, but dog owners should be aware of this alert from the FDA. The FDA continues to work with veterinary cardiologists and veterinary nutritionists to better understand the effect, if any, of grain-free diets on dogs.""

Originally Posted by Gebo
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/n...ow-about-the-fdas-grain-free-diet-alert/

Once again we go off on a tangent and it potentially bites our dogs in the rear. Gotta have a true dog diet!
Must be grain free to maximize your dog's health! Feed like they eat in the wild!

Marketing at it's finest. LOL

There seems to be smoke here. I don't know about fire.

I'm glad my 3 dogs are fed Bil Jac.

This thread will turn into a copy of what oil to use in our gasoline engine. In other words, a million different opinions.
My last 3-4 large bags of dry dog food have been Earthborn varieties..... some with Grain and some Hollistic Grain Free.

Just like the human race craving multiple different things to eat, so do dogs. Give your dog a variety of flavors (if non-allergic). That includes beef, chicken, lamb, venison, duck, rabbit, pork......etc....etc. My Schnauzer has some sensitivities. He gets three varieties lately. I rotate them.

The best site I found for Dog Food Ratings is dogfoodadvisordotcom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back