Windows Defender ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings-
Is the current Windows Defender sufficient as a stand alone malware/anti-virus or is another also necessary for protection? I read it was now quite good as a stand alone and I hate to install system resource hogs unless its really necessary.

Been working for me since 2017. I've not installed any other AV junk on my 3 Windows boxes. All is good. Just also practice safe browsing and e-mail and I think you will be fine.

On Windows 10, Defender is a well-supported product that's constantly updated. It is probably better than most of the "free" offerings out there.

All our W10pro laptops also have Glasswire Elite which hardens firewall

All browsers use uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger and noScript

Windows Defender is fine.
CAUTION: Do not add other security software, this will slow your computer.
Also, if your device came with Norton or McAfee bloat ware, uninstall it.
Windows Defender will do everything that you need.

Norton, the worst virus ever sold. I use bit defender and run a malwarebytes scan from time to time just to clean off the danglers.

Originally Posted by henni
All our W10pro laptops also have Glasswire Elite which hardens firewall

All browsers use uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger and noScript

You're running all (4) with Firefox Quantum Browser?

OP
I have been running the New Windows Defender since it's inception-changeover recently - that added comprehensive, ongoing and real-time protection.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Windows Defender, combined with some common sense, should be sufficient for most users.

+1; with the "common sense" part being the most important. Common sense in this case might involve some good decisions about where you visit, some vigilance and skepticism about unknown web sites and online offers, etc., and might also involve the use of some browser add-ons that you'll see mentioned and suggested elsewhere in this thread. Personally I just use uBlock Origin. I can't stop myself from also mentioning that you could look into using a Linux OS if your computing needs don't require Windows-only software.

I use Windows Security, which is what MS renamed Defender in the 1909 update. Also have a lifetime license for Malwarebytes Premium. MBAM was recently updated too. I set exclusions for both and also set MBAM to never register in the Windows Security Center. This combo and everyday common sense works just fine. No problems at all on any of our machines. I have had trouble a few times in the past with third party AV.

Depends on your risk. If you do questionable things, and especially if you don't make OS partition backups on a fairly regular basis so you can nuke things from orbit, then you need a stronger front line of protection, that will slow down your system. If you do online banking or professional (sensitive) data it is also higher risk, as is letting anyone else use your system while unattended.

If you have a newer system and modern SSDs, you may not even notice the slowdown, though newer software, bigger multimedia with higher compression, more bloated websites, etc, it's a continual journey to get the performance you need, when you need it. Point is you will need to upgrade again sooner with each upgrade cycle.

Remember that you can just uninstall anything that you find slow you down too much, or another case that turns me off is when they are too intrusive. I once installed something that wouldn't even let me run a dos batch file which I thought was ludicrus, but apparently THEY decided for everyone, what should be allowed. Sometimes you can go through the security software settings and deactivate features. Sometimes you can't or it's a PITA to find how they buried the setting and decided not to use enough text to make it clear what each setting was, because keeping users ignorant with lots of artistically pleasing empty white space is apparently better than information. [/rant]
wink.gif

95% of it is a secure browser, not opening unknown email attachments, and having a router between the system and modem. You can go further and even use a block-all-except-allowed apps through firewalled specific ports, but again it is about your own risk.

Windows Defender is good for what it is. Some people need better and some don't.

Windows Defender on my PCs.

Common sense prevails on the internet and in decades of computing I never paid for antivirus software.
I am a firm believer that they cause (used to cause) more issues then actual virus threats.
(using up system resources ect)

To this day, it amazes me the amount of people who will open an email or attachment, sent to them with some sort of "urgency".
Every month in my wifes industry, companies her company does business with are affected buy someone downloading an attachment.

Then the companies computers get shut down and held for ransom, in one case of OCT 2019 a company paid one million dollar ransom to get them unlocked.

Other cases that month, companies paid out 100,000 dollars to a hacker who simply sent out emails to 10 companies and told them the bank information for paying bills has changed and to correct it to the new bank account number.
Well, 10 companies employees, without verifying the change sent out $100,000 to a rogue account and the original suppliers never got paid but the hacker did. Its just amazing that an email from space arrives in peoples inboxes and people follow the email instructions!

Its simple, ignore it, send it to the spam folder or report it as fishing. Urgent messages do not come in emails.
Trust me, if someone needs to contact you, they will find a legitimate way and you will know who it is, not something "unexpected"
If in question, research the company you think you know on the internet and get the phone number and call them. Do not use the phone number off the email.
Its all common sense stuff.

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice.

I read the lab results for AV products but nothing beats real world experience. That's why I posted here

Originally Posted by Ed_T
Originally Posted by Donald
Malwarebytes

+1

Thank you. My understanding is Malwarebytes is good at finding and ridding a system of malware but not so good in detecting it before it is able to infect the system. Ideas/opinion?

For some good info, I recommend Leo on The PC Security Channel on YouTube. The guy works for an AV company and has a standard testing protocol for testing security software. He bombards the test setup with ~1500 viruses, malwares, ransomwares and sees how many are stopped, then reboots and uses a couple more products as "second opinion scans". He doesn't create lots of videos, so some product tests are not terribly recent.

As I recall, Windows Defender was competent but not worthy of a "clean sheet" as he calls it. His recent test of Mcafee is bth amusing and interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back