Does Advance Auto Parts actually carry Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this video on restoring one of the cars featured on Pimp My Ride awhile back, and the video is sponsored by AAP. At 16:32, you can see Amsoil on the shelf behind the counter.
crazy2.gif

It seems to be worth posting because I thought Amsoil had a rule against chain stores carrying their products, and AAP is the largest auto parts store chain. While I am aware that some of the old Carquest franchises remain after being bought out by AAP, those legacy franchises mostly still operate under the old CQ name.

Another thing to note is that Amsoil's founder, Al Amatuzio, died a few years ago, but their MLM business model lives on. They used to have a 12-store rule that defined what a chain store was according to their rules. Some Napas carry Amsoil because they are not all corporate-owned.

There are three possibilites I can think of. Either
-The store featured in the video is a legacy CQ franchise
-Amsoil relaxed or rescinded some of their anti-chain rules since Amatuzio's passing
-It is just there for the video (I know many high-production videos can fake a few things, and Pimp My Ride was known for their fakery, and most things on TV are fake)

Since there is an Amsoil dealer on here that sponsors BITOG, maybe he can chime in.

Here is the video:
The Amsoil can be seen starting at 16:32

I don't think there is a rule, our local Canadian Tire used to carry AMSOIL. I think if the local distributor can make an agreement with the operator of the local chain, it is just fine.

There is a fourth possibility; everything you 'thought' is just wrong; not saying it is

I get my onezy twozy quarts of gear lube from our local NAPA. Always been on the shelf there.....

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
There is a fourth possibility; everything you 'thought' is just wrong; not saying it is

I get my onezy twozy quarts of gear lube from our local NAPA. Always been on the shelf there.....

I covered Napa in my OP, and all three of my possibilities indicate that I am wrong about something
smile.gif

Family Farm and Home carries Amsoil. According to their website, they have 60 stores. If you go to Amsoil's website and input the zip code of the store closest to me, pick "retail store", FF&H doesn't come up nor do they come up if you put in their HQ's zip code.

In my hometown, there's a 'local' hardware store that's now an Ace Hardware but operates under their long-time name. They carry Amsoil. Does that break the chain-store rule being that they're under Ace ?

At the local fleet farm they have the xl series and for a long time they never advertised it in the flyer and it wasnt even listed on the website.

Now its on sale once in a great while.

But they arent listed as a dealer because its only the XL series

They do also have some amsoil gear oil and i think trans fluid. But i dont think they move a lot of it

Last edited:
Rural King here carries Amsoil, including Signature Series, ATF and Motorcycle oil. Two stroke as well I believe. So who knows what the rules are.

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
At the local fleet farm they have the xl series and for a long time they never advertised it in the flyer and it wasnt even listed on the website.
They do also have some amsoil gear oil and i think trans fluid. But i dont think they move a lot of it

Family Farm and Home doesn't list Amsoil on their website either but they have it in stock at their nearby store. I wonder if the local manager has some discretion at carrying items and this is a store-by-store situation ? What I found funny was they have Mag1 5 quart oil for $11-12 (maybe it was on sale at the time I was there) next to 1 quart bottles of Amsoil !

Literally every farm store I've ever walked into has stocked Amsoil. Blain's, Fleet Farm, Big R, Rural King, etc.

Which is kind of funny considering farmers are stereo-typically some of the cheapest people you'll ever find.

Indeed they move a lot of their House-brand Resolute oil, that and Farm-Rated Diesel oil

but lately they have been moving a lot of Rotella because of the rebates.

only time I have ever seen amsoil was in a local mom and pop parts store and that has been several years ago...the store has been closed for a while now

The two local auto parts stores in our small town both carry Amsoil. One's a CQ, and I can't remember the other one's name. Don't know if the NAPA locally sells it because I try to avoid going there. Everybody in that store has the personality of a garden slug and act like you should be grateful they let you in the door.

Amsoil is stocked at the "Peavey Mart" chain in Canada. They even give the staff Amsoil promo merchandise to wear if they want.

One of the AAP's near work (a former Carquest) has an Amsoil sticker on its front window. But I only ever see the Interceptor 2-stroke oil on a separate display near the door...

Lots of speculation, but yes Amsoil is sold in SOME retail outlets. The rules have changed (both ways) over the years, perhaps the reason for most of the confusion in this thread, as some stores are grandfathered in.

Here is a quote from the long list of rules for Amsoil dealers:

Dealers may sell to individual business outlets that own more than 24 retail outlets under the established guidelines. The individual outlets must place their own orders. Orders cannot be grouped, use centralized billing or be transferred to other outlets owned by the same business. No Dealer may supply products for redistribution, either directly or indirectly to...
• more than 24 individual retail outlets that are owned by the same business, including (not limited to) auto parts stores, quick lubes and hardware stores
• big-box retailers or businesses that resell through the Internet or retail catalogs
• businesses primarily engaged in the regional or national distribution of auto/truck/equipment supplies to retailers
• industrial suppliers primarily engaged in the distribution of fuel or petroleum products to retailers or commercial users
• businesses engaged in the export or distribution of products outside the 50 United States and Canada

I do have several retail outlets, but no chains. So if you are a dealer you can sign some stores up as a Retail Account.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back