LED Retrofit for Recessed Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 8 halogen recessed lighting fixtures that I want to convert to LED.

I am considering these LED retrofit kits:

https://www.amazon.com/SUNCO-10-PACK-UL-listed-Downlight/dp/B01HC17TAS/ref=sr_1_27?keywords=4%22%2Bled%2Brecessed%2Bconversion&qid=1577696389&sr=8-27&th=1
https://www.costco.com/feit-electric-led-4%22-retrofit-soft-white%2c-6-pack.product.100416612.html

All of the kits seem to be built similarly. The Costco Feit kit is about 1/3 more expensive than the Sunco. Is it worth spending extra money for the Feit?

Any solution is fine and there is no saying which is better. If your fixtures look old and tired then do the replacement thing.
If your fixtures are in good shape as mine were, I just simply changed the bulbs to LED for me, it worked out perfect as I get to choose how bright a bulb and the color temperature of the bulb.
With the replacement lighting, your stuck with whatever they give you.

I just looked at these yesterday at the local home improvement store. You do get what you pay for.

I ended up buying units from Halo. Halo has been in the recessed lighting business for decades. Their units were made of thicker plastic, and had stronger clips. The Halo units also included a gasket that fits between the outer rim of the light and the ceiling, to help prevent air infiltration through the recessed light.

It also might be better to go with a little more quality here, as when the LED goes out... the entire assembly is thrown out.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
I just looked at these yesterday at the local home improvement store. You do get what you pay for.

I ended up buying units from Halo. Halo has been in the recessed lighting business for decades. Their units were made of thicker plastic, and had stronger clips. The Halo units also included a gasket that fits between the outer rim of the light and the ceiling, to help prevent air infiltration through the recessed light.

It also might be better to go with a little more quality here, as when the LED goes out... the entire assembly is thrown out.

Halo is what I used when we put some in our kitchen. I also used in a couple smaller cans, just some LED flood bulbs which work great and I think may be the better bet, since they have a large heat sink that makes the body.

OP, I'd be slightly concerned if any no name brand off Amazon is real and actually carries a UL listing. LEDs shouldn't be as hot as halogen bulbs, but I sure wouldn't want a meltdown.

I wonder too if fixture and heat loss differs with less expensive.

You can see in New England where people put cans into spree homes as the heat rises thru them and causes melts spot and lower roof snow level where heat rises and hits attic.

I would prefer bulbs over fixed lighting so if and when it does go out it can be easily replaced. I know they say LED bulbs have a very long life expectancy some like 20-30 yrs. I have had some of these long life bulbs prematurely fail and they say well the bulb may have gotten hot. Really in an open table lamp? They post life expectancy and then fail to anty up when you try to claim a failure.

I cannot speak for sunco but The feit are a quality unit. I would put the retro and not just replace the bulb. Much nicer look. Make sure you look and get the daylight or soft depending on what your looking for and the correct brightness. They do sell these packs at lowes ect. if you want to look before buying.

If this is an outside ceiling, I'd definitely suggest a complete retrofit over a bulb replacement. The retrofits seal the air much better. I've seen old cans that leak a lot of conditioned air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back