Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 5W40, Miles 5290, Veh 102308, 2018 Lincoln Navigator L UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea what it is as I am not a chemical engineer or anything of the like. Im just a lost soul trying to find my way in this world of lubrication technology. I have a few cars, an some empty sample containers from Blackstone...I know both Mobil 1 TDT and Delvac 5W40 work great in my Ecoboost engine.

Navi- what's the hour meter and odometer currently showing on your Navigator? I have the same engine in my Raptor albeit with only 6,800 miles so far. Just did my second change with M1 5W30. Just curious how your idle and engine hours look on a vehicle that gets a lot of use.

Last edited:
The odometer right now is at 105000 but I have not found an hour meter on mine. I have all the details on the problems of these vehicles and I can tell you this. If you do not have the extended warranty you should sell it before 60000 miles.

If you plan on keeping it long term then you should 1) install a catch-can but uninstall it for warranty work as it voids the warranty 2) change oil by 4000 to 5000 miles. I would go with 4000 mile changes. 3) dont use Mobil 1 5W30 but do as I do and go with 5W40...Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 at Walmart works great. Again dont tell the dealership you put this in. 4) Use the Royal Purple oil filter.

My 10 speed went at 70000 miles and took 1 month to replace. Engine developed cold start rattle at 84000 miles and took 1.5 months to fix with 2 repair attempts. The repair involved replacing the chain and the camphasers. I too did Valvoline 5W30 Maxlife and 7000 mile changes but that obviously didnt work.

As for the trans I would have it flushed by dealer at 25000 miles to get rid of excess metals from the manufacturing process.

I do not guarantee that any of what I posted will work but its the best you can do to avoid a costly and time consuming repair process. The dealer will have your truck for over a month...

There are serious issues with this engine and the first signs of trouble is cold start start rattle which can be viewed on Youtube. Many examples on Youtube. These problems might be caused by how the engine seemingly dilutes the oil with fuel turning it into a 5W20. In that case an oil like TDT or Delvac is ideal as turbo diesel engines also dilute their oil and so TDT and Delvac were designed for that in mind.

I think the main difference between Delvac (available mailorder at Summit Racing btw for the best price) and TDT is that Delvac is Group IV and TDT is group III base stock. Delvac is Amsoil like in that its engineered more tightly.

Something like Castrol 5W40 at Walmart will.also be better than any 5W30 out there. Chevron Delo which has API SN Plus designation. Quite a few choices out there. If you do experiment by all means do oil testing to make sure its going well with the engine.

If you do the usual change at 7k with Mobil 1 routine the cold start rattle will eventually happen and I believe they call it timing chain stretch.

Once again I am not an expert on these matters. Simply an owner of a vehicle who got caught up in some serious issues involving this engine/trans and doing all I can...

Last edited:
Go to Walmart website and type in 5W40. You get Euro 5W40s like Penzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 and the HDEO variety like TDT, Delo and Delvac. The Euro varieties tend to be thinner than the diesel oriented oils. In any event all should be superior to the Mobil 1 5W30.

The thicker it is the better it will protect and will resist that dilution.

The Penzoil Platinum Euro is cheap at Walmart and is API SN Plus.

If I had to choose one it would be Delvac 5W40 for the Ecoboost. Great reputation, Group IV Amsoil like base, thickness just right in the 13s and gets whipped down to 11s...if the engine goes with that in it its not the oil. Delvac is the best that Mobil makes. I would stay away from 0W40...

Last edited:
Thanks. I figured there'd be an hour meter and was curious if yours had a lot of idling due to livery work. I'm going to try 5,000 oil changes after I change it at 10,000 (would be about 3500 miles on the first few OCIs). I'll send the sample out for testing as well. I'll take what you said into consideration When it comes time for oil selection. I rarely keep anything for 60k and have a friend that owns a warranty, er, I mean service contract biz so I'm not too concerned. I love the truck otherwise and was considering a long WB Navigator for my wife's next vehicle, now...who knows.

Last edited:
I love the technology and the power and torque of the EcoBoost, but the timing chain stretch problems and can phaser problems are concerning.

If I were in the market for a half-ton pickup or a large SUV, I'm just not sure I could choose the Expedition or F-150 over proven longevity available with the Tundra and Sequoia. A little bit less efficient, yes, but you KNOW it's going to last for years and years and you won't have to worry about an engine teardown after only a few years in service...

And transmission failure at 70K? YIKES.

I'm in my 13th year of ownership on my Tacoma with no major component failures. 223K and the biggest jobs I've had to were u-joints and wheel bearings. Still on all original underhood components. And there is every reason to believe that the V8 Toyotas are every bit as reliable.

Sorry to make the comparison, but it is glaring in my mind after reading your experience.

Following. Just got a Flex with the same engine.

As I understand it, from several threads a couple of years back… The timing chain stretch happens more easily with lower winter weight oil and 5w or even 10w is an improvement over a 0w in this application.

Originally Posted by JLTD

As I understand it, from several threads a couple of years back… The timing chain stretch happens more easily with lower winter weight oil and 5w or even 10w is an improvement over a 0w in this application.

0w, 5w and 10w is the winter rating of the oil, it has no meaning at operating temperature. Cst at 100C is more relevant and I do agree that a thicker oil at operating temperature will protect more the timing chain vs a thinner oil.

The thing is, there are 0w-30 oils that has a higher cst @ 100c than a 5w-30 or even a 10w-30!

For example, the 0w-30 (Pennzoil Euro LX) oil I'm using right now has a cst @ 100c of 11.9 and Mobil 1 10w-30 has a cst @ 100c of 10.1 (same for PP).

Generally speaking Toyota is the gold standard of reliability and longevity. If I were to have a private vehicle outside of the livery industry it would be a Lexus ES300H. As for 0W oils they just seem to come out worse in various UOAs than their 5W counterparts IMHO. Ford will eventually get the issues on the F150/Expedition/etc solved but judging from past situation it will be at least until the 2021 model year. Ford usually resolves these problems...after several years. There was a similar timing chain stretch issue in the 1st generation Ecoboost and that was finally resolved mid-2015 model year...and the first model year of the Ecoboost engine was 2010! 5 years! The Explorer had a rotten egg exhaust odor smell...you may have seen this on television...finally 100% resolved in 2018 or 8 model years! Resolved quietly. I know us livery drivers found the MKT smell disappearing at some point in 2017.

One of the 5w40's I tried in my 2015 was Mobil 1 Formula M. (MB oil).
It tested quieter than both PUP and M1 5w30 … but that is the only testing I did (db meter).

All of the 5W40s I tried thus far have quieted my engine more than thinner oils like 5W30.

One thing I wanted to note is my focus is on Walmart oils or basically oils under $30 per gallon and can be found at either Walmart or Amazon Prime. So my 5W50 list is...

AmazonBasics 5W40 Euro and HDEO...HDEO version is thicker and more robust

Chevron Delo 5W40

Mobil Delvac 1 5W40

Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40

Castrol 5W40

Escalade? Same trans, but less complicated engine for sure. But requires premium. I dunno. OHC ecoboost engines are so [censored] complicated for the power as GMs 6.2, i know where my money would go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jbutch
Originally Posted by JLTD

0w, 5w and 10w is the winter rating of the oil, it has no meaning at operating temperature. Cst at 100C is more relevant and I do agree that a thicker oil at operating temperature will protect more the timing chain vs a thinner oil.

The thing is, there are 0w-30 oils that has a higher cst @ 100c than a 5w-30 or even a 10w-30!

For example, the 0w-30 (Pennzoil Euro LX) oil I'm using right now has a cst @ 100c of 11.9 and Mobil 1 10w-30 has a cst @ 100c of 10.1 (same for PP).

Your analysis is correct; however. Apparently there's something happening during warm up that reduces timing chain wear with a 10w over a 0w.

The thing with turbo direct injected engines it shears and/or dilutes the oil thus why I use HDEO. Ive had major engine problems. Im not sure if this oil is the fix but I feel better using an hdeo than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back