2019 VW Jetta SE review...

Status
Not open for further replies.
While our 2014 Jetta SE is in the shop for a heater core replacement, I am driving a 2019 Jetta SE loaner. I figured I would post a little write up with my thoughts, take that for what it's worth.

Styling: I love VW styling. Compared to other cars in this segment it is very mature. It has nice clean lines inside and out, nothing too flashy. Compared to the MKVI Jetta this model is more sculpted and edgy, but again remains the more mature offering when you look at other vehicles in this segment.

Interior: Well appointed. The SE model is mid level for VW as far as options go. Some of my favorite features would have to be the "pano" sunroof, V-Tex heated seats, and CWP (cold weather package) that includes heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, and remote start. The CWP is an add on from the factory that can be added to SE trims and up. Other features on this model include blind spot monitoring, forward collision warning with autonomous emergency braking, dual zone Climatronic climate control, keyless entry, Apple CarPlay / Android auto etc. All the usual features that consumers want these days.

Driving: Overall I am very satisfied driving this Jetta, there is little to complain about honesty. The body structure is now the MQB platform, so the body itself is very stiff and rigid. VW took a softer approach with the suspension compared to the previous model. Our 2014 feels a bit more planted than the 2019. Going over grade changes at speed can feel a bit floaty and there is more body roll than I would like. This of course leads to a softer ride which is indeed comfortable, it's just not as sharp as the previous model. Acceleration is more than adequate. All current Jetta's except the GLI are equipped with VW's 1.4 TSI. It has 147 horsepower and 184 pound feet of torque which peaks at 1400 rpm. The 8 speed Aisin torque converter transmission has lightning fast crisp shifts and rows through the gears quickly. I prefer to drive in "normal" mode, "eco" mode bogs the car down unbelievably. "Sport' mode isn't bad but I don't find much of a need for it in normal driving except for keeping the 5th gear grind noise away.

I find this car very attractive, and with current pricing and the warranty offered by VW for 2019 model years it is a hard deal to pass up. If circumstances were different we likely would have picked up a 2019 R-line recently.

IMG_2429.JPG

With a 2.0 TSI EA888/3 CJX code 310 HP engine it would be a heck of a car unfortunately they created a gutless wonder for fuel economy. For me there is nowhere near enough steam under the hood.
No holes in the roof please and no plastic seats, its a big job to cut the center section out and replace it with a hard top and plastic upholstery just sucks including coated/bonded leather with plastic seat sides, full hide or cloth.

I'm warming up to the styling on the MKVII Jetta, still not entirely on board with the gaping grill. Like you said VW style is timeless and is going to be handsome 10 years down the road while the overboard Civic is going to be looking dated with its over the top space ship styling.

Pano roofs on VW/Audi while a very amazing feature are problematic to say the least. The sunshades are junk and fall apart, its a $1500+ repair. Not to mention the squeaks and rattles, I have gummi pfledged the pano roof seals on my '12 three times now and and it still creaks and pops like no ones business. Will say it may be worth it because it makes the car feel very open and airy.

I will say the big turnoff of the MKVII with me is the lack of engine options, you have the 1.4T in everything and no other option unless you step up to the GLI. Wish they would slot in a 1.8T or detuned 2.0T. Big departure from early 2000's when you had 4 engine choices (2.0, 1.8T, TDI and VR6) - give me at least 2 options in non-GLI trim levels. Also the constant switching back and forth from twist beam rear suspension to multi-link is getting tiring. MKIV - Torsion beam, MKV - Multi-link, MKVI - Torsion beam then multi-link with facelift, MKVII - back to torsion beam.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
I'm warming up to the styling on the MKVII Jetta, still not entirely on board with the gaping grill. Like you said VW style is timeless and is going to be handsome 10 years down the road while the overboard Civic is going to be looking dated with its over the top space ship styling.

Pano roofs on VW/Audi while a very amazing feature are problematic to say the least. The sunshades are junk and fall apart, its a $1500+ repair. Not to mention the squeaks and rattles, I have gummi pfledged the pano roof seals on my '12 three times now and and it still creaks and pops like no ones business. Will say it may be worth it because it makes the car feel very open and airy.

I will say the big turnoff of the MKVII with me is the lack of engine options, you have the 1.4T in everything and no other option unless you step up to the GLI. Wish they would slot in a 1.8T or detuned 2.0T. Big departure from early 2000's when you had 4 engine choices (2.0, 1.8T, TDI and VR6) - give me at least 2 options in non-GLI trim levels. Also the constant switching back and forth from twist beam rear suspension to multi-link is getting tiring. MKIV - Torsion beam, MKV - Multi-link, MKVI - Torsion beam then multi-link with facelift, MKVII - back to torsion beam.

Hopefully the roof on these will be less problematic. Tiguans and Alltracks have a true panoramic roof and those are having leaking issues regularly. I haven't heard of one complaint on the Jettas. I would like to see fully independent suspension on these as well.

Originally Posted by Trav
With a 2.0 TSI EA888/3 CJX code 310 HP engine it would be a heck of a car unfortunately they created a gutless wonder for fuel economy. For me there is nowhere near enough steam under the hood.
No holes in the roof please and no plastic seats, its a big job to cut the center section out and replace it with a hard top and plastic upholstery just sucks including coated/bonded leather with plastic seat sides, full hide or cloth.

It's meant to be an economical car, which is does astonishingly well. Having 184 lb foot of torque on tap moves it around well. As far as the seats go, they are very comfortable and I find V-tex to be very durable. It should look new for years.

I owned a MkIV Jetta and have been unimpressed with the styling of the MkV and beyond, until this recent generation. There is a bit more pizzazz in the styling of these new ones that had been absent since the MkIV. Subtle changes might improve it further, such as reducing the size of the huge grill, but overall a handsome car.

I have a hard time getting past the 1.4L engine. 147 horsepower just isn't enough for the weight of a modern mid-size car, IMO. With that said, given the decent amount of torque, plenty of drivers won't notice (or care), and anyone can appreciate the fuel economy of a 1.4L. So not a bad choice of engine per se, just not for me.

My wife and I flew to Boston and rented a 2019 Volkswagen Golf sport wagon for over a week. We put over 1,000 miles on it and took it all over Maine and Acadia National Park. I was quite impressed with the power and gas mileage of the vehicle and it really drove quite well. It only had 3,000 miles on it therefore I guess it should be pretty decent. The car was rather stripped down but I had no complaints about the vehicle and if it maintains the solid feel and is reliable I would recommend getting something like that if it fits your budget. and needs.

They have a rear live axle in a MK7? Wow!

I agree they should bring back the engine choices, but that's what happens when you become mainstream and need to streamline production. They need to bring back the GLX VR6 Jetta, those are awesome.

Originally Posted by maxdustington

I agree they should bring back the engine choices, but that's what happens when you become mainstream and need to streamline production. They need to bring back the GLX VR6 Jetta, those are awesome.

Yup - GLI does get you the multi-link rear though. They will prob do same they did with the MKVI and put multi-link in the non-GLI during a mid-life refresh in a few years. VW makes a decent torsion beam system but it still does not match up to the true independent rear. My MKIV Golf the rear would get squirrely if you hit a bump mid-corner.

I agree they should bring back the engine choices, but that's what happens when you become mainstream and need to streamline production. They need to bring back the GLX VR6 Jetta, those are awesome ...

That would be awesome. For the handful of people who might actually buy one ...

Apparently VW has discontinued the Sportwagen / All Track for 2020 ... because nobody bought them either.

SUV's please, so says the North American market.

hey gregk24, thanks for the well-done review. how was the 2019's auto trans, any weird sounds at 1500rpm (your reference to 5th gear grating)? i started a thread here asking about it, as an internet-cited 2019 jetta issue.

i'm going to the vw dealer tomorrow for a headlight recall on my passat. while there i will see a saleslady who has been persistently reminding me about the $16800 sales price of new 2019 jetta s models, which is a great price. my 87k mile passat is fine, if a tad boring, and worth so little in trade that it pays me to keep it. it's interesting how all the se's extra "must-have" features are exactly what i never want on a car. choices are great, make my vw an s model always. i have driven jettas with 2.slow (really not bad), 2.5 (a hot rod in a jetta, and a mover in my passat) and 1.4t (runs out of steam on highway) engines, so i'm not expecting much with a 2019 jetta.

Originally Posted by jstert
hey gregk24, thanks for the well-done review. how was the 2019's auto trans, any weird sounds at 1500rpm (your reference to 5th gear grating)? i started a thread here asking about it, as an internet-cited 2019 jetta issue.

i'm going to the vw dealer tomorrow for a headlight recall on my passat. while there i will see a saleslady who has been persistently reminding me about the $16800 sales price of new 2019 jetta s models, which is a great price. my 87k mile passat is fine, if a tad boring, and worth so little in trade that it pays me to keep it. it's interesting how all the se's extra "must-have" features are exactly what i never want on a car. choices are great, make my vw an s model always. i have driven jettas with 2.slow (really not bad), 2.5 (a hot rod in a jetta, and a mover in my passat) and 1.4t (runs out of steam on highway) engines, so i'm not expecting much with a 2019 jetta.

I quite enjoy the 8 speed auto. Yes, it does make the "grinding" sound around 25 miles per hour when shifting into 5th gear. They all do it, VW says it is normal. They did release a software update that helps quite it, though it is still present. Jury is out on long term reliability, who knows if the grinding noise hurts anything. It may just be a noise.

Twist beam. Semi-independent. Sometimes actual results / performance trumps theoretical / "class". I doubt that this twist beam is that much inferior to a multilink in empirical results.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT

Twist beam. Semi-independent. Sometimes actual results / performance trumps theoretical / "class". I doubt that this twist beam is that much inferior to a multilink in empirical results.

Car makers know that 99 % of the buyers don't even know what a TWIST BEAM rear suspension is, and in average a to b city driving, it has no bearing whatsoever on performance. Those corners taken at 4/10's of max cornering speed won't feel any better with a multi-link, camber optimizing rear suspension.

Originally Posted by geeman789

Car makers know that 99 % of the buyers don't even know what a TWIST BEAM rear suspension is, and in average a to b city driving, it has no bearing whatsoever on performance. Those corners taken at 4/10's of max cornering speed won't feel any better with a multi-link, camber optimizing rear suspension.

^This. The MKIV sold like hot cakes on looks alone despite its twist beam rear and consumers loved it. Not too certain the sorority sister buying a MKV Jetta 2.5 was raging out about the handling improvement.

Originally Posted by gregk24
Originally Posted by Trav

It's meant to be an economical car, which is does astonishingly well. Having 184 lb foot of torque on tap moves it around well. As far as the seats go, they are very comfortable and I find V-tex to be very durable. It should look new for years.

I've rented two Jetta's with the 1.4T setup and both performed VERY well around town (where most buyers use them) - quiet, strong acceleration. Fuel economy was remarkably good in addition to seat comfort.
If I needed a cheap commuter (that was paid for thru work), I'd seriously consider one!
...I'd just make sure to never own it past the warranty/honeymoon period given the issues posted recently on BITOG with VW's
lol.gif

I couldn't agree more. The setup is just right for 99% of the targeted demographic along with the peppy and extremely fuel efficient 1.4T.

I was a longtime VW fan/owner and came back after some 13 years. VW knows what they're doing.

Twist beam may well work for most, I won't disagree, but I won't have another. The one on my MkIV took a bend and I found out that it was common at high miles.

Originally Posted by supton
Twist beam may well work for most, I won't disagree, but I won't have another. The one on my MkIV took a bend and I found out that it was common at high miles.

The twist beam actually bent?????

Originally Posted by supton

The twist beam actually bent?????

Tweaked might be the better word. It became toed-in. I looked into what could be done; some recommended shims, as you could get ones that would give fractions of a degree on the axle stubs to try to fix the toe. But others said that was a bad move. In the end, the "right" answer appeared to be either a gamble on a used axle, a new one, or just live with it & 3k tire rotations. I lived with it for a bit and then got rid of it when it seemed like the repair costs outweighed replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back