Cat treats

Status
Not open for further replies.
My older cat starting puking up liquid about a month ago every few days. Vet asked what all he was eating. We feed the cats 4health from TSC and he said that was really good but when I said they also get some Whisker Lickin's treats he said that might be the reason. So I went searching for a better treat and found a lot of sites suggesting Bonito Flakes but man they are expensive so I found a few sites that said the stuff sold to humans was the same and cheaper so I ordered some. If I have to I'll stop giving them treats but my older cat won't be happy camper.

I know there are a lot of cat lovers here so what treats if any do you give them?

I've tried boiling chicken breasts and they say not to feed it to them cold but neither one of my cats will eat chicken, they only lick it, same with tuna.

Last edited:
Friskies Party Mix - Chicken Lovers Crunch. It is highly reviewed with good ingredients. Kitty likes them, too!

Soft or crunchy treats? Two of our cats like crunchy treats, and they like Greenies, which come in several flavors. For the one that eats soft treats, I picked up some Blue Buffalo treats at Menards, and he seems to like those.

I give mine Greenies Cat Treats. Good for hairballs. Just a couple a day.

WOW, a cat or dog who doesn't like chicken? Unheard of in my world.

"Temptations" cat treats are new to our 18 year old; say the last year and a half.
They're from Canada and distributed by MARS Pet Care. They run a crazy commercial where a cat jumps 12 feet in the air for them.
Thanks to Aunt G. we now have a new $6.50 item on the grocery list for a cat which always ate just fine.
Now he screams for them after both meals. He gets 7 or 8 of them.
They're soft and the particular flavor doesn't matter.

Get your cat some grass (no, not that grass...‚) or put down a plate of finely chopped baby greens throughout the day. This aids in digestion and upset tummy's. Fwiw feral cats actually eat a lot of grass/greens.

I don't buy treat's.. I'm lucky, all 4 of my cat's like the occasional scrap of chicken or beef or bit of cheese but not too much dairy, too often as that can upset their tummy's and cause uti's.

I dehydrate strips of chicken breast to give to the dog and the cats like them too. I know what's in that, unlike the store brand stuff.

Store brand my boy likes freeze-dried treats, especially Orijen.

Mine eats 4Health as main food but loves Temptations as a treat. When I give her a spoonful of canned food I add a few drops of mineral oil which was recommended by the vet to aid in passing hair balls. Seems to pretty much curtail the spit ups also.

I'd say careful on the grass.

I believe they (dogs and cats) eat grass to exercise their capacity to throw up. I also believe it's healthy to do so.

However, who wants their pet upchucking in the house?

My Samoyed would eat a bit of banana then puke then come back for more. It's gotta be like going to the gym.

We don't regularly get treats for our cats. They're 7 years old now and we've purchased treats maybe 6-8 times, when we do though, it's almost always Temptations. They love the stuff, I open the pantry door and they're at my feet within seconds.

Originally Posted by Kira
I'd say careful on the grass.

I believe they (dogs and cats) eat grass to exercise their capacity to throw up. I also believe it's healthy to do so.

However, who wants their pet upchucking in the house?

My Samoyed would eat a bit of banana then puke then come back for more. It's gotta be like going to the gym.

Upchucking comes with the territory. If a person didn't want to clean up fur balls then a cat was a bad call. Aside from the occasional piece of chicken I don't alter their diet much and stick with a quality, high digestible, high fibre diet that helps move fur balls along through the digestive tract. It also helps with weight management, something that's a problem for the typical indoor kitty (or dog for that matter). I also don't feed them wet food as my vet told me wet food can promote tartar..but that can be mitigated by also regularly feeding dry food that "scrapes" the teeth. In the wild, cats would eat fur/hide and bone that does the job of helping keep teeth clean.

Only buy Greenies. Last cat visit recommended brushing cats teeth or Greenies for teeth which was on their Vet approved list. For fur balls Greenies for fur balls. Two long hair cats=fur balls. They love them and they work.

check out DrBecker.com under the DrMercola.com shes a holistic Vet + tells the truth about todays POORLY regulated pet foods, like processed food we eat its NOT healthy for sure!! lots of good tips but NO recommended brands just info for YOU to make an informed choice!

One of our two cats loves Temptations. He will beg for them like crazy. We give him four about twice a day. If we give him three he will raise [censored]. Funny to watch him when you give him three. He gives you "the look" and then start whining like a baby. Our other cat could care less about treats.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
No cats. No fur balls, no upchucking, no urinary tract infections, etc,etc. Life is good.

Anything my cat could do >living under NJ laws.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Aredeeem
No cats. No fur balls, no upchucking, no urinary tract infections, etc,etc. Life is good.

Anything my cat could do >living under NJ laws.

lol.gif

We give our cats Greenies. The big one doesn't like them, but the kittens go nuts over them.

Just to be clear it's not fur balls he puking up it's liquid and about the size of a fifty cent piece. My wife gives them some stuff from the vet in a tube for hair balls and it does work, she's done that for all the cats we've had, no hair balls here.

Thanks for the replies, when I get the Bonita Flakes I'll post back and let you know. The reason I went with those is the vet said to watch out for any commercial treats that have more than a couple ingredients in them and the flakes are only dried smoked fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back