Rotella T6 5w-40 formulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any current information on the formulation of the current T6? Everything I'm finding is several years old.

I notice it does not carry any gasoline ratings, which makes me think it may have more ZDDP than a gasoline rating would allow.

Specifically, I'm looking for a higher ZDDP rated oil in a 5w-XX. And hoping they the T6 oil I just used fits the bill.

Before anyone asks, I need a high ZDDP oil for a winter vehicle that has an aftermarket flat tappet cam and stiffer valve springs. So I feel it is much more of a need than simply a want. I prefer a 5w because it gets used no matter how cold, even if it is -20f, if it is needed it gets used.

TIA

Mike

So I just found this thread:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...rotella-t6-5w40-ck-4-october-2019#UNREAD

Looks to be more robust than the standard passenger car oils.

Anyone have opinions on using it in a flat tappet cam with upgraded valve springs. As best I can remember they are around 100lbs on the seat and around 250 lbs over the nose. (Similar to the exalted Z28 springs)

It's a little lower on zinc than I was hoping for, but better than the 800 ppm on a SN rated oil.

Thoughts?

As far as I can remember all oils under the Rotella umbrella were diesel oils. Don't know if things have changed, but that may be a reason for the content.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ammolab
Mobil 1 0W- 40 might be more than adequate for temps and camshaft

Do you have a VOA for this oil? Certainly would be open to using it if it is robust enough.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Actually Shell Rotella has mult-fleet T6 5w30 that is CK-4 and SN rated for gasoline engines. They also have T6 0w40 that has CJ-4 and SN ratings.

I'm not looking for an SN rated oil. I'm afraid they wouldn't have enough additives to protect the cam with the stiffer springs. Ideally, I'd like to have something in the 1200ppm for zinc

Originally Posted by Carbuff
If you are unsure, why not just add a ZDDP additive every other oil change?

I use CamGuard in our older 1980s sports car:

https://aslcamguard.com/product/camguard-oil-additive-automotive-8oz-single-bottle/

It's an option. I'm just not a fan of adding stuff like that to an oil. I'd prefer to find something that was formulated with higher additives, rather than take a finished oil and try to make it into something else. Just a preference.

Zinc is listed

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. That was helpful!

Looks like the Mobil 1 FS 0w40 is a good choice and comes in a 5qt jug at Walmart. Advertised as the European Car Formula.

[Linked Image]

The Mobil 1 5w40 Turbo Diesel is better yet, but doesn't come in 5 qt jugs.

[Linked Image]

Both good options. Would still prefer a 30 weight but those are hard to find.

Last time I ran some diesel rated 5w-30 from Amsoil. Since it was the first change after the new cam break in, I didn't mind the extra cost.

[Linked Image]

I ended up buying 1 gallon and two extra quarts Incase I need to top off. Almost 2 years later I never needed to add, so I had an extra quart. So I ended up mixing one quart of the amsoil with the 4 quarts of T6 to get my oil change. So getting a 5 qt jug would be nice.

Thanks again for the link.

Originally Posted by meborder
Does anyone have any current information on the formulation of the current T6? Everything I'm finding is several years old.

I notice it does not carry any gasoline ratings, which makes me think it may have more ZDDP than a gasoline rating would allow.

Specifically, I'm looking for a higher ZDDP rated oil in a 5w-XX. And hoping they the T6 oil I just used fits the bill.

Before anyone asks, I need a high ZDDP oil for a winter vehicle that has an aftermarket flat tappet cam and stiffer valve springs. So I feel it is much more of a need than simply a want. I prefer a 5w because it gets used no matter how cold, even if it is -20f, if it is needed it gets used.

TIA

Mike

What you're looking for is going to be harder to find.

new spec CK-4 is for Diesels only, 1100ppm zinc/phosphorous, API wanted to close the loop hole of people using this oil in their regular cars that only require 800ppm zinc/phos, they felt oils with the dual classification was misleading and lead people to pour in oil that "could" degrade catalysts. You will see some Diesel oils that are CK-4/SN those oils are 800 zinc/phos, kind of a concern.

To use any of the diesel oils I would recommend using one that does NOT contain the SN classification and only CK4.

Another option would be Delvac MX 15W40 which is CI4+ and 1500ppm zinc/phos

or Mobil1 15W50 1200ppm zinc/phos

Mobil1 0W40 recently was reformulated for and doesn't carry some of it's previous manufacture spec's, i'm leary of using it.

Last edited:
I'd be afraid of anything from Mobil 1... you never know what you're going to get formulation wise... I'd be looking at Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 Euro... or stay with the Rotella T6, It's still a great oil and I don't think they've changed the formulation in awhile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back