RP Max ATF or Amsoil SS Fuel Efficient Trans fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! I am trying to decide between Royal Purple Max ATF or amsoil signature series fuel-efficient synthetic automatic transmission fluid. They both meet the specs for my fluid and have a similar price. Is one better than the other? Thanks!

Originally Posted by nwoodco1
Hello all! I am trying to decide between Royal Purple Max ATF or amsoil signature series fuel-efficient synthetic automatic transmission fluid. They both meet the specs for my fluid and have a similar price. Is one better than the other? Thanks!

What is the vehicle? Both are probably fine fluids, though I have never used either.

Info: vehicle, how/where is it driven, (mountains, towing, stop & go) how long will you run the fluid ?

Just be aware that neither one of the fluids you mention have any actual specifications or approvals, both are "recommended for" applications that require certain specs or approvals. Given that, there is no real evidence either one is better or worse than Maxlife synthetic ATF which can be purchased at Walmart for much less than Amsoil or Royal Purple.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Just be aware that neither one of the fluids you mention have any actual specifications or approvals, both are "recommended for" applications that require certain specs or approvals. Given that, there is no real evidence either one is better or worse than Maxlife synthetic ATF which can be purchased at Walmart for much less than Amsoil or Royal Purple.

I have the ZF HP626 in my LR3. I will be doing some towing but generally just around town.

Good to know.

Good to know.
Originally Posted by RevelationLion

What is the vehicle? Both are probably fine fluids, though I have never used either.

have the ZF HP626 in my LR3. I will be doing some towing but generally just around town.

I've used Royal Purple Max ATF with good results in several older vehicles that specify a standard viscosity ATF (Dexron III, Mercon V, etc), and I use AMSOIL SS FE ATF in my 2010 Ford Escape that specifies a low viscosity ATF (Mercon LV). Both are good quality fluids, and depending which one in suitable for your application, you can't go wrong either way! Royal Purple's product is readily available in retail locations while AMSOIL's has to be ordered off their website in most cases... it just depends what better meets your needs.

Last edited:
So it takes Dex III ? The Mobil 1 ATF was always a good substitute in something a tad thicker than newer Dexron … although depending on which formula … at operational temps Dex VI can be as thick.

Research several brands to look at physical properties … and don't assume others are not up to the task.

I use the Amsoil fuel efficient ATF in pickup AT and the regular Amsoil ATF in transfer case.

Amsoil SVG in both diff.

I know the Amsoil is high quality and you don't use much on a yearly basis. So I am fine even if it costs a little more per QT.

Like the man said it's not what you think you know, it's what you can prove. Certs and approvals are boss.

To answer your question, I don't know if either is better than the other. I would run the Amsoil as I have an extremely great local dealer. I trust Amsoil more. I'm like Mania. I wouldn't use Royal Purple. My second choice would be RedlIne.

I looked up the ATF+4 approved License list, and came across the Not approved list - Amsoil and RP are not approved ATF+4.

No universal trans fluid should be used.

Originally Posted by WillB

I looked up the ATF+4 approved License list, and came across the Not approved list - Amsoil and RP are not approved ATF+4.

Amsoil has never paid for the various licenses. I guess they do not feel it cost justified.

However if on the Amsoil website a Amsoil product is recommended for your vehicle then you can use it in confidence. You will be using a top performing lubricant in your vehicle.

Personally I buy engine oil at Walmart or Napa but all the fluids for the drivetrain are from Amsoil. I order $100 worth and shipping is free.

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by WillB

Amsoil has never paid for the various licenses. I guess they do not feel it cost justified.

However if on the Amsoil website a Amsoil product is recommended for your vehicle then you can use it in confidence. You will be using a top performing lubricant in your vehicle.

Personally I buy engine oil at Walmart or Napa but all the fluids for the drivetrain are from Amsoil. I order $100 worth and shipping is free.

I use Amsoil in everything, but was not sure On ATF -So I should be ok?

Last edited:

Good to know.
Originally Posted by RevelationLion

have the ZF HP626 in my LR3. I will be doing some towing but generally just around town.

ZF Trans? Stick with ZF Lifeguard.

But if I was forced to choose between the two, Amsoil, but only because I am more familiar with the brand. Neither is a good choice.

ZF Lifeguard 6 or Ford Mercon SP. Do check the transmission's serial number, ZF did phase in Lifeguard 8 on the newer 6 speeds.

You could even go with Pentosin ATF-1 as it is approved by one of ZF's specs and claims compatibility with Lifeguard 6, caveat emptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back