2014 Jetta...bad heater core

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a thread the other day about lack of heat on the passenger side vents of our 2014 Jetta SE. I made it to the dealer today and they called back and confirmed what I was afraid of, bad heater core. I asked why it would go bad on a relatively young car with low miles, his response was "well, the car IS 5 years old and YOU have NEVER changed the coolant". He is right, but I made it a point to tell him that a coolant change is NOT recommended in the manual or by VW anywhere near our mileage.

I am a proponent of preventative maintenance. All services on our vehicles are done on time, or early. Maybe I would have done this by now if it was easy to DIY like my Accord. Oh well, will most likely be doing 3 year coolant changes on our VW's from now on. Live and learn.

The Jetta is at the dealer over the weekend, most likely the work will be done early next week. Heater core replacement and coolant change are in order.

I did ask for a loaner since my wife is in the hospital and my time is already stretched thin. Thankfully the dealer worked it out for me to have one. It's a 2019 Jetta SE. I'll post a review on it later. I was entertaining the idea of trading the 2014 Jetta in on a new R-line or SE if the repair bill was going to be hefty, but with our current situation I decided that wasn't the most responsible idea so we will hold on to him, "Silvester" as my wife and I call him, for a while longer.

Hopefully this will be the last repair for a WHILE. Water pump at 38K miles, radiator fan at 48K, wheel speed sensor at 49K and now heater core around 55K.

Originally Posted by gregk24

Hopefully this will be the last repair for a WHILE. Water pump at 38K miles, radiator fan at 48K, wheel speed sensor at 49K and now heater core around 55K.

Par for the course with Volkswagen.

I'm assuming the heater core had a hole corroded in it?

Wow this is honestly kind of surprising because VW/Audi coolant is pretty robust stuff, wonder if the system was contaminated when the water pump was changed. Funny the service advisor doesn't even know the service schedule, but knowing VW service nothing really surprises me anymore.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Originally Posted by gregk24

Par for the course with Volkswagen.

I'm assuming the heater core had a hole corroded in it?

I don't believe it did, no coolant smell from the cabin. The heater core is near the drivers foot well so if it was leaking I should have easily smelled something.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
You've had some baddd luck so far. Hopefully all the kinks are worked out now.

Yes, that is my hope as well!

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Hope you wife is OK...

Thank you, without going into details she is stable for now. Prayers appreciated!

Originally Posted by pezzy669
Wow this is honestly kind of surprising because VW/Audi coolant is pretty robust stuff, wonder if the system was contaminated when the water pump was changed. Funny the service advisor doesn't even know the service schedule, but knowing VW service nothing really surprises me anymore.

I can't help but wonder the same thing. I will go back through the maintenance records and see what coolant was used during the change. I'm sure it will have the proper spec on the paperwork but who knows what was actually used. I haven't made any accusations to the dealer, and if I did it probably wouldn't go anywhere. They damaged 3 hubcaps, if I remember correctly, a couple years ago during a simple tire rotation. It was like pulling teeth to get them to replace the damaged hubcaps.

Hope your wife gets to feeling better soon.

That's too bad about the heater core. I think while the miles are low and it has some value left, you should trade it on for a non-VW. This car hasn't had good luck, far too many repairs than what's reasonable.

I understand the "hoping this is the last repair for a while", my aunt and I tried doing that with our VW's. And I've done it for a few years now with my Jeep. The Jeep is a losing money pit, but being sentimental it's worth every penny it takes to keep it going.

Originally Posted by Nick1994

That's too bad about the heater core. I think while the miles are low and it has some value left, you should trade it on for a non-VW. This car hasn't had good luck, far too many repairs than what's reasonable.

I understand the "hoping this is the last repair for a while", my aunt and I tried doing that with our VW's. And I've done it for a few years now with my Jeep. The Jeep is a losing money pit, but being sentimental it's worth every penny it takes to keep it going.

+1. Hope the wife is home and feeling better.

I understand. We both have a soft spot for VW's and this probably won't be our last. Many owners don't have these issues, many do. Luck of the draw maybe?

Originally Posted by Leo99

+1. Hope the wife is home and feeling better.

Thank you, not home yet. Likely not for a while, which is ok considering the circumstances.

Nick1994, VW hater. "I can throw money at my heaps, but you can't because it has a VW badge"

Originally Posted by maxdustington

Nick1994, VW hater. "I can throw money at my heaps, but you can't because it has a VW badge"

Uh, no, he shouldn't because it's a daily driver/economy car.

If it were a 2 seater sporty, fast, race-mobile that isn't easy to replace then it's easier to put up with.

My Jeep is a money pit, one reason is because it's life is a living [censored], which is probably censored, but it's the word for where the devil lives.

For example, this is how all of it's miles are put on:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Just yesterday it spent hours and hours hill climbing and being covered from top to bottom in mud.

I would try a few things before R+R'ing a non-leaking core. A chemical flush or air or a reverse flushing tee. I reversed the htr hoses once to reverse flush a plugged core. from an over dose of stop leak. Have used air too.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by andyd
I would try a few things before R+R'ing a non-leaking core. A chemical flush or air or a reverse flushing tee. I reversed the htr hoses once to reverse flush a plugged core. from an over dose of stop leak. Have used air too.
grin2.gif

+1 This.

No leaks yet they want to replace ( big $$$$).

A lack of heat on one side could also be a blend door or vent issue.

I have no confidence in your dealer.

Last edited:
Only calls for 3 hours....Has an access panel on the HVAC module which a rarity these days. Though I would still attempt a back flush. I use a water hose/city water pressure. I'm sure a OE core isn't exactly cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back