Barrels and Kegs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
This is a measurement question. Please, no beer jokes.
wink.gif

A barrel holds how many gallons of oil?

A Keg holds how much oil?

A Keg holds how many pounds of grease?

A barrel holds how many gallons of oil?>> 42 gal

A Keg holds how much oil?>> 16 gal

A Keg holds how many pounds of grease? >> 120 pounds

confused.gif

[ February 24, 2004, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

Ruger shoots straight. A barrel of oil is 42 gallons ( for selling crude). A 55 gallon barrel holds 55 gallons of oil (if you buy a barrel of Delo from the warehouse). Or mayonnaise, for that matter.

Man, you guys know your beer, er, barrels.

A drum of oil is 55 gallons.

Some suppliers provide oil and oil products in 30 gallon durms, 55 gallon drums (standard) and "totes," or a container yielding approximately 275-gallons capacity.

I am suprized no one mentioned Lugs.

A lug holds 35 lbs of grease or about 5 gallons of oil.

FWIW,

In the worthless information department (or maybe not):

A U.S. Standard Barrel is 31.5 gallons of liquid or 119 Liters or, 4.2 cubic feet.

A Bristish Standard Barrel is 36 gallons, or 5.78 cubic feet, or 136 liters.

A Petroleum Barrel is 42 gallons of oil, or 5.6 cubic feet, or 159 Liters.

A drum is sometimes called a barrel and holds 55 gallons of liquid or 208 Liters.

A Drum of Oil is 55 gallons (generally), but a Drum of grease is 400 lbs.
A Pail of Oil is 5 gallons, but (generally) but a pail of grease is 35 pounds.
A Keg of Oil is 16 gallons (generally) but a keg of grease is 120 pounds.
But some suppliers sell gear oils by the pound. So a drum of:
Delo Gear 80W90 is 54.03 gallons
Delo Gear 85W140 is 52.82 gallons
RPM Universal Gear 80W90 is 54.44 gallons
Tegra Synthetic Gear 75W90 is 55.32 gallons

The same happens with pails and kegs.

There is a fair amount of crude pumped. Bolivia has more natural gas than the rest of the components.
There are several small refineries. The country is self sufficient in Gasoline, but imports someting like 40% of it's diesel. Most of the natural gas gets re-injected into the ground because the government owns it and won't export it for the money they desperately need since 20% of the population never went to school and 40% never got past 6th grade. They follow the political leaders who promise them everything if they just keep demonstrating against the sale of gas. That as long as it is in the ground they are really rich. (54 trillion cu ft or something like that). Argentina, Chile, and Brazil are going into recession for lack of energy, and Bolivia has enough gas and pipelines to save them all - and desperately needs the cash. but PRIDE wins out over inteligence.

I worked in a refinery early in my career, and I wanted to know why a barrel of oil was 42 gallons when a drum was 55 gallons. The story I was told was as follows:

In the early days of the oil industry, oil was transported in the oil field in open 55 gallon drums to a point where it would be sealed shut for shipment. The oil would be sloshing around, and if the barrel was filled too close to the brim, it would obviously spill out. By experience, it was learned that if the 55 gallon drum was filled to only 42 gallons, the sloshing would not result in spillage.

Thus, a barrel of oil is 42 gallons.

I don't know if the story is true, but it sounds good.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
I am suprized no one mentioned Lugs.

A lug holds 35 lbs of grease or about 5 gallons of oil.

Off topic a little but where I was raised in south Arkansas a lug of tomatoes was 20 lbs. You could buy half a lug too.
I work in a refinery and a woman asked us once how did we POUR all those barrels of oil in our unit!
smile.gif

Les

K1XV and Les,

Very intersting stories. I must say that I never heard of the Lug of Tomatoes, but don't doubt it either.

There is also a very interesting book out there called the "SizeSaurus" which discusses measurement in units from drams to avoirdupois, etc.

In England, Kings fingers, toes, arm lengths,
and strides became official measurement standards.

In one of the countries where I have worked, they sold land buy the pot. A pot of land was the sq meters of land that would take one pot of seeds to sow.

Klein in, The Science of Measurement says that under King Henry VII, that a Hogshead was 1/4 ton or equal to 2 barrels, or 63 gallons.

In volume, that should equal 16,384 cu inches.

BTW, 32 grains of corn = 1 pennyweight, abreviated dwt = 1/20 of the Troy or apothecary ounce!
grin.gif

The shekel, of Baylonian origin, weighed 1/4 to 1/2 ounce, and 1 talent (of Syrian origin)weighed 3,000 shekels or 29,900 grams.

Punsters are credited with a variation of the Russian length of measurement, the verst (a length slightly greater than a kilometer or 3,500 feet):

She: Hi, come see me sometimes; I live just a few steppes away.
HE: Yes, that's the verst of it!
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

BTW, 32 grains of corn = 1 pennyweight, abreviated dwt = 1/20 of the Troy or apothecary ounce!
grin.gif

It's also the weight of an old English sterling silver penny, 240 of which made up 1 pound sterling and weighed 1 pound.

Are you talking refined or crude?

Crude Oil is 42 gallons
of that 0.5 gallons is lubricant.
19.5 gals gasoline
9.2 gals diesel/hone heating
4.1 gals kerosene-jet type fuel
yadda
yadda
yadda

btw-according to the source, a 42 gallons barrrel yeields an average of 44.2 gallons of products.
pat.gif

Source
2004-2005 Lubricants Industry Source-Book

Grease
lug is 35lbs
keg is 120lbs
drum is 400lbs

Lubricants
30 gal drum
55 gal drum
275 gal tote

[ July 31, 2004, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]