Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got done cleaning up my SUV..... and as I wipe down the tires. I'm like
33.gif
Those are some nice a$$ tires

I have a new set of Cooper CS5 Touring tires on my suv and they are the smoothest, quietest tires I've ever had. American made and very reasonably priced.

I just had a set of CS5's warrantied at Walmart at 34000 miles on a 70000 mile tire. They were mounted in Nov 2016.
The tread was completely worn down to the wear bars. They were on a 2003 Camry. For the last 6 months I owned them, I had to add air to the fronts 2 or 3 days a week.
Needless to say, I won't be buying them ever again.
I have convinced myself I just got a bad set of tires, but I couldn't dive in to another set of the same with a clear conscience.
Hopefully others have a better experience than I did but I'll never own another set of CS5's.

Imp4, Did you have the fronts checked for nails etc???? Were the tires that wore out on the back? Did you have the alignment checked? My friend owns a tire shop and the Cooper CS5's are his most popular with the least of problems.
I'm looking at putting them on the rear of my Challenger R/T in a 255/50/r20 to fill in the rear fender wells more. The stock tires (245/45/r20) look little back there.

I have Cooper CS5 Grand Touring tires on two of my three cars and I have had very good luck with them. They are the best tires I've ever had.

I have them on two of our cars, 93 Camry and 05 Camry and my parents have them on the 14 Honda CRV. Well made tires that ride well and have solid year round performance. The ones on 93 Camry are nearing 60k and are at 7/32.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Imp4, Did you have the fronts checked for nails etc???? Were the tires that wore out on the back? Did you have the alignment checked? My friend owns a tire shop and the Cooper CS5's are his most popular with the least of problems.
I'm looking at putting them on the rear of my Challenger R/T in a 255/50/r20 to fill in the rear fender wells more. The stock tires (245/45/r20) look little back there.

No nails in the fronts and the car is reasonably aligned but not perfect. The fronts were slightly more worn out then the rears but when Walmart does a mileage warranty claim, they take the tread depth reading from the back tires anyway. Needless to say, mine were completely shot at 34,000 miles.
I will say that this car is used the majority of the time by my teenagers so I'm not close enough to monitor daily useage.
I did a ton of research before I bought the CS5's and I choose them because they were so well reviewed.

Others may have different experiences and this model may work well for them.
I just couldn't pass this thread up without adding my 2 cents about how disappointing CS5's were for me.

Good luck!!!
cheers3.gif

I'm planning on putting the Ultra's on my Lucerne in the next couple years. I had the Grand's on my 99 LeSabre and they were quit and had very good snow and packed snow traction.

Excellent Tire.

I have them on my 2006 Volvo XC90, very sensitive to drive ,very good on traction , very good on cornering , good on breaking, good in snow and ice, in Connecticut.

I would buy them again ,no indication of early wear they look like they're brand new and they've been on the car for almost a year.

TOMB

I'll be needing to replace my Michelin Premier A/S tires soon and after only 30,000 miles of very mild commuter driving. These popped up as an option, can anyone with experience talk about how quickly these wear?

Originally Posted by InvalidUserID
I'll be needing to replace my Michelin Premier A/S tires soon and after only 30,000 miles of very mild commuter driving. These popped up as an option, can anyone with experience talk about how quickly these wear?

There are Chinese tires that you will get more than 30,000 miles wear. And yes I an name them. As an alternate suggestion I would look at the General RT43s as well.

Last edited:
I like mine, the price was good, the handling is pretty good and they're quiet. They can even handle light snow without much issue.

I can't speak to wear, however, because I swap out for snow tires every winter so I don't put that much mileage on them.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by InvalidUserID

There are Chinese tires that you will get more than 30,000 miles wear. And yes I an name them. As an alternate suggestion I would look at the General RT43s as well.

Looked up the General tires that you recommended and they've received pretty high reviews. Thanks!

For the last 6 months I owned them, I had to add air to the fronts 2 or 3 days a week.
Needless to say, I won't be buying them ever again.
I have convinced myself I just got a bad set of tires, but I couldn't dive in to another set of the same with a clear conscience.

Used by teenagers and leaking air constantly - sounds like about the right life to me!

Seriously though, a 2003 car and leaking tires - the tires needed to be dismounted and the rim examined closely and cleaned of past debris or corrosion, possible damage. I was having this problem with my '98 SLX a few years ago and that fixed it. Honestly, if tire shops would take just a few more moments in mounting to clean up the rim better, they'd stop a lot of customer complaints.

As another data point, we have almost the exact same car as your Camry (2002 ES300) with C5 Ultras on it. No leaks, adult driven. 30k and very little wear: they will definitely go to the realm of the promised mileage. So often it's the condition and usage, not the tire itself. But the tire is always blamed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back