Burst Pressure oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone !
I'm Quang, I'm come from VietNam. Now I'm exploring the factors that affect the burst pressure of oil filter .
Can you give me some ideas?. Or Can you give me some document about this?
My English is a bit bad so everyone understands.
Thanks everyone.

Burst pressure rating of the filter is tied directly to four things and I'll list them in importance...

1. Can or outer shell. Thickness and material quality.
2. Crimp or mating method for the outer shell to the base plate.
3. Gasket material and design.
4. Base plate, material, the quality of machining, and number of threads.

Thanks you for comments.
I'm designing a oil filter and result burst pressure about 240 psi . But my boss required minimum 255 psi and Material thickness does not change.I'm feeling confused. Do you have document technical for shape gasket or shape Base plate, or crimp ?
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MetalSlug
Is this for a class project ?

Sounds more like Vietnam technology-vehicles will be coming to the USA. But first, all the oil filter bugs must vanish..... without bursting..

Hire some engineers and buy some test equipment. American manufacturers do that. Then they have to compete with those who get the info for free.

Originally Posted by DrDanger
Adding ribbing should also add strength. May increase complexity or decrease volume though.

Domed top and curves are much stronger than flat tops and sharp angles.

Sample oil filters can be sent to a test lab for burst pressure testing.

Shoot - - it would be easy to build your own burst pressure test device with some surplus hydraulic equipment.

Sounds like you may be trying to get someone to do your homework for you.

Hire some engineers and buy some test equipment. American manufacturers do that. Then they have to compete with those who get the info for free.
Please feel free to tell us how you really feel.
lol.gif
Sorry, I found the comment humorous and laughter is good for the soul.

I can't help the OP. As noted though, someone with filter engineering experience and test equipment probably be the most helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back