4-53T Cold Start (Merry X-Mas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do those have start assist (glow plugs, ether shot)? That engine is going to really need the Webasto running to get warm enough to start, if it was that hard at 37F!

Are you saying you did a "tune" on the 4-53T? If so, bad idea. The thing that's concerning to me is, with the valve cover off, there should be oil flying all over the top end. Two stroke Detroit's, especially the 53 series, are already pretty high strung.

Originally Posted by gregk24
Forgive my ignorance, what is with all the smoke?

That would be raw unharnessed power escaping!
lol.gif

But for real, just what xxch4osxx said, raw atomized fuel.

Nothing sounds better than a Detroit 2 stroke in my opinion, can't wait to see it finished!

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
with the valve cover off, there should be oil flying all over the top end. .

Was wondering about that too having experienced gas engines run with a valve cover off. OP obviously knows what he's doing so must be OK.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Nice swap! How would the power compare to the original engine? Is it enough to adequately move the truck?

Some poking around says 180, maybe 200 hp, with upwards of 400 ft-lb. So it'll move it around, just not fast. [But it'll do it at full power for days on end!]

I agree, I can't imagine how much "fun" this would be to start in actual cold weather. Then again, new build, so perhaps there was a bit of air in the lines or something.

Regardless. Still a cool project! I'm still impressed with the utilization of the sensors into this engine so as to enable the transmission to do its thing.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Nice swap! How would the power compare to the original engine? Is it enough to adequately move the truck?

Some poking around says 180, maybe 200 hp, with upwards of 400 ft-lb. So it'll move it around, just not fast. [But it'll do it at full power for days on end!]

I agree, I can't imagine how much "fun" this would be to start in actual cold weather. Then again, new build, so perhaps there was a bit of air in the lines or something.

Regardless. Still a cool project! I'm still impressed with the utilization of the sensors into this engine so as to enable the transmission to do its thing.

Those are stock tune power levels. It can be tuned to produce more power, if the OP chooses to.

His injectors are significantly larger than stock in a 4-53T, the Advanced cam timing also makes them hard starting cold. With the stock 5A60 injectors it would have been 175 HP, with the bypass setup, more fuel from the 7A77 injectors, more air from the compound turbos, intercooling, and no load governor setting of 3,000 my guess would be in the 225-250 HP range.

A310, I'm still jealous of your Jake brakes.

Also, if you want to play with more fuel, I still have a full set of 9A90 injectors sitting in the garage
wink.gif

Thanks guys, as Luke says I've advanced the timing to get more performance out of the engine. The trade off is poor cold weather starting, but I've installed a webasto heater to combat this and it starts like summer in the coldest weather. The engine is tune to approximately 230-250 HP and 550-580 LBFT of torque. I can turn it up more with larger injectors, but I'll try these and see how well they do. Doing the last little things before I put the cab back down and back it out of the shop.:)

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
His injectors are significantly larger than stock in a 4-53T, the Advanced cam timing also makes them hard starting cold. With the stock 5A60 injectors it would have been 175 HP, with the bypass setup, more fuel from the 7A77 injectors, more air from the compound turbos, intercooling, and no load governor setting of 3,000 my guess would be in the 225-250 HP range.

A310, I'm still jealous of your Jake brakes.

Also, if you want to play with more fuel, I still have a full set of 9A90 injectors sitting in the garage
wink.gif

Speaking of Jakes, I just tuned and tested them today, very happy with the compounds as they really quiet the Jakes down.:) 9A90's would bump me up to around 250-275.:), but I think I'll stay with the 7A77's and run a few oil analysis before I think about bigger injectors.:)

I've started a lot of Detroits in winter, never without starting fluid. have you installed a starting fluid system? Most Detroits have a plug in the blower that can be removed to squirt the starting fluid in, that would be a good place for an injection system.

Originally Posted by D45678
I've started a lot of Detroits in winter, never without starting fluid. have you installed a starting fluid system? Most Detroits have a plug in the blower that can be removed to squirt the starting fluid in, that would be a good place for an injection system.

I do have the starting fluid system, but not installed. Instead I installed a Webasto heater as well as a block and oil pan heater incase the webasto should ever fail. This was only a test to see how it would start with advanced timing without aids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back