Acura TSX vs Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I am beating a dead horse and there are a lot of discussions about it, but trying to compare 1st Gen TSX(2006 or above) vs 7th Gen Accord(2007 I4 and VP in signature).

I don't drive TSX, only driving Accord and Civic. So should I have 2 TSXs in the stable or current Accord isn't a bad choice?

On the surface choice is easy to keep all and get a TSX. But should I get rid of Accord and acquire a TSX(looks, build quality, interior, etc.) or stick to Accord and one TSX in the family is enough?
banana2.gif

Decisions, decisions... thanks for any valuable insights or inputs, which can help to make a decision
smile.gif

IMHO the TSX, aka European Accord, is one of the best models Honda/Acura had. Designed and built to compete with European cars like entry trims of the 3 series and A4, it is a bit better than Accord in every way (except interior space). If I knew the history of the car and planned to maintain it myself I'd have a TSX all day long; however, it's not going to last any longer than your '07 Accord so also consider that.

The 1st gen TSX is one of the great Hondas; one of the great cars. The mighty K24...
We bought a 2006 new; it has almost 200K on it now.
Sue can drive any of our cars (I consider them all hers); she loves the TSX.
I have serviced it regularly with (mostly) M1 5w30. I have serviced the transmission with DW-1 (mostly) and now Idemitsu equivalent.
I have replaced the alternator, PS pump and recently the starter.

I also service 2 2007s that belong to friends.
Basically, put a good set of rubber on it and drive it till the hubcaps fall off.
You will love your TSX.

I'd rather have a TSX over an Accord if your looking at 4 cylinders.
Maveric, there is nothing wrong with your affinity for Honda products, but don't limit yourself.

Shoot, if you can afford it and have access to the service records and the TSX checks out great, I'd add it.
I'm in JeffKeryk's corner on this one.

That's why I got my '05 LS430. I only drive it on "special" occasions. I didn't want a newer one.

I got the 4Runner for hauling and bad weather.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
I compared them when they were new and bought a 2007 Accord V6 6MT sedan. They're both great cars. If I were buying a used one, I'd but the one in better condition.

I'd rather have the 6MT V6 accord than a TSX but i would take the TSX over any other Accords of this time period. The 6MT V6 4 door is sweet!

Euro Accord/K24A2 is just an amazing car/motor.

Looking at the feedback I am pretty much on the right track, just waiting for the right car and deal to pull the trigger and jump on 1st gen TSX.

Have one lined up for a test drive with an immaculate service history and too good to be true price, let's see what happens. Fingers crossed
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks all
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by dareo
Originally Posted by ecotourist
I compared them when they were new and bought a 2007 Accord V6 6MT sedan. They're both great cars. If I were buying a used one, I'd but the one in better condition.

I'd rather have the 6MT V6 accord than a TSX but i would take the TSX over any other Accords of this time period. The 6MT V6 4 door is sweet!

The V6 never came in a 4 door in either the TSX or the Accord from what I remember. The TSX could only be had with the 6 speed with the K24. You could have the 6 speed in the Accord Coupe V6 though.

Then you need to check your memory. Not only is there obviously a V6 Accord 4 door (and has been since 1996) there was a brief period where they stuffed a J35 V6 into a TSX. That car was so nose-heavy it lost the athleticism the TSX was known for and didn't last long.

I meant 4 door 6 speed Accord. Thought one thing in my brain, typed something else, I own and drive a V6 Sedan.

V6 Manual was never in the 4 door Accords, nor the TSX. Was only available in the Accord Coupe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ctechbob
I meant 4 door 6 speed Accord. Thought one thing in my brain, typed something else, I own and drive a V6 Sedan.

V6 Manual was never in the 4 door Accords, nor the TSX. Was only available in the Accord Coupe.

Honda offered the Accord sedan with the V6 and manual transmission in the 2006 and 2007 MYs.

Originally Posted by cpayne5

Honda offered the Accord sedan with the V6 and manual transmission in the 2006 and 2007 MYs.

Not sure how I missed that, I stand corrected.

Originally Posted by cpayne5

Not sure how I missed that, I stand corrected.

They're pretty rare.
smile.gif

At least they offered it. Gotta give them props for that. They had to know they weren't going to sell many of them, and they're still doing it with the Accord Sport. Might be the last of the breed though, but at least you've got the option instead of the CVT's....blech

I test drove a used first gen. TSX with 6 speed, when my buddy was looking for a car. I found the engine wanted to rev... meaning, it would happily go down the road at 4000 rpms's while, say, other cars would happily go down the road at 2500. I find that to some degree, a car with its particular gearing and its propensity to rev (or not) will have a "happy" point.

I found the 6MT on the TSX to be very, very easy-shifting. Flick, flick, flick type action. Actually, very nice.

While I did find it a really nice car, I felt that due to how it "wanted" to be driven (by way of revs and shifting) - I felt it would wear-out sooner than the less high-strung cars we were trying out. Now, some would differ with me, in their assessment - but however well balanced an engine is, all things being equal, the one that revs higher will typically wear out sooner. And in like manner, the flick-flick-flick shifter that encourages quick and numerous shifts... will ultimately pack it in sooner, due to this carefree (and frequent) use.

If I found it so care-free in revving and shifting, I wondered what the previous owner did, as well...? Tended to abuse it?

Caveat: YMMV!

I enjoyed the TSX drive - but I concluded that the Accord would work better for me / for my buddy.

If I had had access to a TSX from new... I would have bought it and taken good care of it.

Last edited:
All automatic Accords with the 2.0L engine have a 10 speed, not a CVT. You can still get a 6 speed manual in a 2020 Accord, but only in the Sport model with either the 1.5 or the 2.0 engine.
The 1.5 Accord Sport with an automatic uses a CVT.

Interesting mention of fuel dilution just past the 11:30 mark.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT

While I did find it a really nice car, I felt that due to how it "wanted" to be driven (by way of revs and shifting) - I felt it would wear-out sooner than the less high-strung cars we were trying out. Now, some would differ with me, in their assessment - but however well balanced an engine is, all things being equal, the one that revs higher will typically wear out sooner. And in like manner, the flick-flick-flick shifter that encourages quick and numerous shifts... will ultimately pack it in sooner, due to this carefree (and frequent) use.

I have an '06 TSX 6MT. I bought it in 2008 with 10k miles. I have driven it like it wants to be driven. It gets redlined multiple times daily.
smile.gif

It has 273k on it right now, with no signs of slowing down. My commute is backroads, so it accelerates 0-60+ frequently. The only issue the car's had was the steering rack at 125k. It still has the original clutch, even.

Best car I've ever owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back