2019 Toyota Highlander LOTS of metal flakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JoelB
Sounds like looking a gift horse in the mouth. I'm surprised they're doing anything with it honestly.

It's a Toyota not a GM

Originally Posted by thooks
Sounds like looking a gift horse in the mouth. I'm surprised they're doing anything with it honestly.

It's a Toyota not a GM

GM's don't need a short block at 1600 miles.

Originally Posted by dishdude

It's a Toyota not a GM

Yes but the GMs eat LIMs for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Please let's just not get into a GM vs Toyota quality [censored] match.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by dishdude

It's a Toyota not a GM

Yes but the GMs eat LIMs for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Please let's just not get into a GM vs Toyota quality [censored] match.

I think you're about 15 years behind. It's timing chains now. They haven't made the 3100 and 3400, or vortec engines that had that problem for years now. Timing chains are the new problem (3.6 direct injection).

Let's be honest, this kind of thing can happen to any brand, it's how the dealership takes care of it that's the big thing. My parents have been going to the same Ford dealer for years because of after warranty adjustment they got approved on our 🋠Windstar (head gaskets blew catastrophically like most of them did).

Got the call today. The Bearing failed and took out the block. They are only replacing the short block. Corporate is closed today so I will talk to them about an exact Extended warranty tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Mathew_Boss
The Bearing?

What bearing ?

An engine bearing.

Main crankshaft bearing? Connecting rod big end bearing?

Got the call today. The Bearing failed and took out the block. They are only replacing the short block. Corporate is closed today so I will talk to them about an exact Extended warranty tomorrow.

If it were me, I'd be calling corporate and opening up a buy back ticket. Good luck with the extended warranty.

The Bearing?

What bearing ?

An engine bearing.

Not all that specific, but it really doesn't matter. I'm not sure why the block would need replacing, not unless if it spun a bearing--but it's probably for the best. A short block, new from the factory, is going to be put together in a nice clean place and built to factory spec's... not saying your average dealership couldn't do it right, but one has to wonder about doing such major work.

Good luck. I'm guessing it'll be fine going forward. Stuff happens, that's what warranties are for.

Good luck on your 2019 Highlander engine issue.
I changed the factory oil in mine at about 1200 miles and there was no debris. I actually was kinda expecting to see trace deposits. I can't speak to MPG issue since I don't drive it, the wife does, although not frequently and not of any distance.
Your post piqued my interest. I am gonna pull the Fram Ultra filter I installed and check it in a few thousand miles. Likely the vehicle will be a year old before it sees 3000 miles.
Keep us posted.

Originally Posted by supton
The Bearing?

What bearing ?

An engine bearing.

Not all that specific, but it really doesn't matter. I'm not sure why the block would need replacing, not unless if it spun a bearing--but it's probably for the best. A short block, new from the factory, is going to be put together in a nice clean place and built to factory spec's... not saying your average dealership couldn't do it right, but one has to wonder about doing such major work.

Good luck. I'm guessing it'll be fine going forward. Stuff happens, that's what warranties are for.

It was a Rod/Rod Bearing. When they drained the old I put in they described it as "Glittery" They had the engine installed last week but nicked a gasket so it was leaking oil. They ordered a gasket and put it back together and it was leaking oil so they ordered another gasket which was supposed to arrive today. It has been at the dealer since December 18th. Is there any change this engine lasts as long as a factory one with how much it's been taken apart and bad gaskets?

Took it back to the dealer today the 2nd engine is leaking oil

Screenshot_20200107-144604_Toyota Owners.jpg

Screenshot_20200107-144612_Toyota Owners.jpg

Screenshot_20200107-144617_Toyota Owners.jpg

20200107_164155.jpg

20200107_164215.jpg

It's a Toyota not a GM

Ask owners of 2017-2018 HL's AWD with 8 speed about how Toyota honors warranty. My best man just filed lemon case againt them after more than a year of back and forth.

It's a Toyota not a GM

Another 7th grade comment

I would be telling them at this point to get me a new vehicle. Looks like you have been more than patient with this dilemma. Three attempts is the Lemon Law looks like you have two.

Toyota offered us an 8 year 125k mile bumper to bumper warranty with no deductible. We accepted. Looks like they have faith in their product/repair.

Toyota offered us an 8 year 125k mile bumper to bumper warranty with no deductible. We accepted. Looks like they have faith in their product/repair.

Good deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back