Next repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So discussion topic... What will the next repair be for my truck? At about 112k well/over maintained miles. Ahead of schedule on all routine tasks. Tires have many thousands of miles left. Brakes were done with quality, though aftermarket, parts at 65k. Plugs around 50k, though it turned out they were fine. Alternator belt is new but AC belt is OE. Most everything else including suspension is OE (except for Bilstein 5100 shocks all around).

Depends on the age, not just the mileage.

I'd say that you are getting to the point where the inherent weaknesses /design flaws might start to show up. Nothing to do with maintenance.

In Michigan for a daily driven vehicle my guess would be rust.

8 years old? I'd say tire pressure monitors. 4 of them should run you around $200.

At 112k you could be looking at a wheel bearing. How about a water pump? Those fail anywhere between 60k-120k.

I find that suspension and steering components wear out between 75k-100k...ball joints, tie rods, sway bar links. A little too much looseness here or there...a little too much noise.

You're coming up on the evap system check engine light phase. Especially if you're in the rust belt. Everything under that truck is probably getting a little crusty...brake lines, frame, ebrake cables. Exhaust might get a little questionable in spots. Keep an eye on that. And 112k of driving? Headlights could probably use a restore.

Gear oil, Transmission Fluid, Coolant, Brake Fluid

Not necessarily in that order....
thumbsup2.gif

Wait, you aren't asking for maintenance ideas, are you?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
Some would be taking apart, cleaning and lubing the brakes if as I assume you are in rust belt.

I agree with this. I'm on the Ohio michigan border, so essentially the same s#!tty weather you deal with. Anyhow, I replaced the brake pads (front and back) on my 09 less than 2 yrs ago but not the rotors, I lubed and cleaned everything to perfection. When the car recently developed warped rotors I replaced everything again and was in shock how rusted the pads were and the slide pins were more or less bone dry. Honestly we haven't gotten a ton of snow the last few yrs and they use brine more than salt but none the less it was an eye opener.

Some would be taking apart, cleaning and lubing the brakes if as I assume you are in rust belt.

+1.

Differential fluid (depending on when it was changed last)?

Originally Posted by JC1

+1.

Differential fluid (depending on when it was changed last)?

+2. Out here I am a believer in doing this every year! But my linings will last more than 5 years so I'm probably not a typical driver.

I'm guessing anything can go at random now, and it could be blamed on age instead of usage. I'd just do the typical fluids.

Have you checked your model, engine and trans for "routine" faults known to this vintage?

Repair to me what fails/causes issue and you don't expect.

Maintenance is stuff you perform to not lead to repair.

Sheer guess alternator.

*holds fingertips against temples*
I foresee an external water leak through the HVAC system. You will spend 4 hours tearing apart the dashboard and still not find the leak. The Ford dealer of your choice will fix it correctly, and demand your severed right arm as payment.

Originally Posted by Anduril
Your engine will spontaneously grenade. Shortly after you fix that, the tranny will go.

LOL

Originally Posted by khittner
A guy with nearly 3000 BITOG posts needs maintenance suggestions?

spankme2.gif
Ya caught me. Truck is well maintained, with over zealous preventative maintenance and I'm ahead of schedule on all fluids. Steering and suspension still feel good but you can tell its not as tight as new. Rust is a good suggestion but with yearly fluid film applications its really doing VERY well. Water pump and alternator are good suggestions and I'll keep my eyes open there. Battery is new but I figure the brakes will need attention soon. Plus I already get vibrations on heavy braking... maybe I'll start searching for the optimal replacement components there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back