Can I Block Someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I don't ever want to see an individual's responses, is there a way to do that?

Is there a setting I can change somewhere?

LOL, I know I can just not read it but I'm looking for a more permanent way for me to deal with it.

I'm not upset. I'm not going on a rant. Just wondering....

click on their name when you see a post of theirs, then select View Profile. Along the top right will be a button that says Ignore User. Click on that.

The only user I've ignored is no longer posting here, but IIRC, you still had an option to see their post, but you had to click on a button, that would appear in place of their comments in a thread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo
If I don't ever want to see an individual's responses, is there a way to do that?

LOL, I know I can just not read it but I'm looking for a more permanent way for me to deal with it.

I hope its not me!

Click on the user's name and then click "View Profile." Once you're on their profile page, click "Ignore User" button.

EDIT: Nevermind, paulri beat me to it.

Originally Posted by Donald

I hope its not me!

No. You know better than think that.
cheers3.gif

Thank y'all so much for your help. I can now eliminate a thorn in my side.
banana2.gif

banana2.gif

I have done that to three or four users here over the years. My criteria has been when they kept giving really, REALLY bad advice, or just were super-argumentative with others instead of discussing (myself or anyone - not just people who annoyed me personally).

Having done that, it makes the forum MUCH more pleasant to read.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
banana2.gif

I have done that to three or four users here over the years. My criteria has been when they kept giving really, REALLY bad advice, or just were super-argumentative with others instead of discussing (myself or anyone - not just people who annoyed me personally).

Having done that, it makes the forum MUCH more pleasant to read.

You understand.
thumbsup2.gif

Only I don't care about bad advice as everybody has their own opinion. I respect that cause I sure ain't the sharpest pencil here. I get tired of nasty argumentative people. In the world I try and avoid mean hateful people when I can. I don't mind if you totally disagree with my opinion. I just don't like how a few, and I mean just a very few, talk to others here. How do they exist in the world? Maybe if I could sit down over lunch and actually get to know them I may find out they are hurting and all they know is to hurt others. IDK????

Oro_O, I agree with you this will make my experience here much more pleasant.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Yes, I have done this to several members but not anyone in this thread I'm happy to say.

Well, I just finished my 3 and it is none of you above. LOL

Actually it could have been just 2 but I saw how another member was treated and decided to add one more.
Come to think about it, that ain't bad in17 years????

I feel the power and am overwhelmed with the rush!

Try it, you might find it makes the sight much more enjoyable.

Heck, block me if it helps you enjoy the sight.
05.gif

Last edited:
I agree if the person is saying person insults to another member, or something similar that you can block them, but honestly this is a discussion forum and the whole reason for it's existence is to discuss varying and divergent viewpoints.

I haven't felt any need to block anyone, even though I've seen plenty of disagreeable comments, but then again the forums here are some of the most heavily moderated on the internet.

Happy New Year.

I have a few that I have blocked over the years.
None in this thread though.

I know there used to be a way to see the list of who you had on your ignore list, but don't see it anymore?

When blocking a forum user doesn't work, is when the blocked user replies to the member who now cannot read the reply. The blocker has no idea if the reply is more topic-damaging, or more in-agreement with blocker.

What happens next is the blocker begins to read the blocked-one replies to the blocker and becomes forced to respond, in self defense of the topic. In other words, the blocked one could out-smart the blocker on the topic and the blocker can't do anything to defend themselves...... without reading the response from the blocker user first.

I've been doing major league baseball messageboards and firearm forums since 1999 and witnessed many times that blocking active members that post a-lot, just doesn't work as advertised. Then,. to make matters worse, once the blocked one finds out he's being blocked, then any raves expressed to the blocker turn into rants afterwards.

My opinion is to never block anyone, even if you-both can never seem to agree. Just report to the moderators anytime someone berates you personally. Let Moderators here deal with solutions.

I at least like all of you enough that none of you are blocked. I don't need a "safe space". Sometimes even the most outrageous replies have a place. Builds on my skills of learning patience and tolerance. I want to wish everyone a happy new year and I also wanted to thank those who have motivated me to keep my car going. I'm almost to 300,000 miles!!!!

IMG_20191229_211405_570.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back