Rhino Ramps Collapsed

Well, time for an update. My ramps decided to fold under my LS400. I called Hopkins Mfg and sent pics and they are replacing them with the heavier 16K. Great customer service. They are replacing my 12K with 16K at no additional charge.

I decided to give you a few pics of where they split and bent. I will not use them for long term parking in the future.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by PimTac
Why do you leave your vehicle on the ramps?

You CAN'T leave your car on the ramps now? What cheap crap are they made of if that is true? What if you need to order parts and they take a week or two to arrive?

I was working on it at my leisure.

After reading all of this I think I'm just going to throw both my plastic ramps and steel ramps away. I have other options. I have like 4 pair 3 ton stands, two pair 6 ton stands, two good floor jacks and this...

1B45A850-A8F5-447A-B08C-99820BA95412.jpeg

6936D928-6B1E-481F-A539-87828A7110B8.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69Torino
After reading all of this I think I'm just going to throw both my plastic ramps and steel ramps away.

Just make your own out of wood. They will never collapse unless your area has a severe termite problem.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

I wonder how many times you will drive off the end of those wooden ramps before extending them and putting a cleat on top?

Once will do it.

Originally Posted by Gebo

I was working on it at my leisure.

So your secondary jacks collapsed too?
Or, did you dangerously fail to use a scissors-type or bottle jack also?

Wait - you didn't have any life-saving device for backup....... did you? OMG!
What does 'leisure' translate to?....... on plastic ramps for hours, days, weeks or months?
OMG Pt 2.

Last edited:
Do I need to "lawyer up?"

LOL

Where do I start? Auto accident by family member, Mom had Dr appts, had a death in my church, didn't gave enough WS to finish the ATF change, etc.

My priorities kept changing. I was being cute. There was no leisure at all.

the 1964 Imperial of my dads was 5,000 lbs. full frame type. crushed a reg stand in no time. of course he knew to NOT be under it.

Keep in mind folks, nothing in this life is failure "proof". All one can do is mitigate failure with countermeasures.

I dropped a Ford Ranger off a lift at my first dealership job. I was about 20 years old. After the dust settled it was found that an equalizing cable snapped and dropped one side onto a lower lock point than the opposite side, and if anyone has ever put a Ford Ranger on a lift you know how precarious it can be. The frame is not very conducive to setting a lift properly due to the sharp rise in the frame at the bed/cab gap. It fell off the extensions on the back lift legs with the violent jolt. I got out from under it in time, before it wedged itself in between the lift posts. Needless to say the lift was replaced, though it had passed its inspection every year. Things happen, hopefully those things don't put you in the ground.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Been using Pine-O-Ramps for years but also have my own rule to follow.
I only use jacks and stands when I need to remove a wheel … otherwise wheels get you up one, two, or four ramps.

I wonder how many times you will drive off the end of those wooden ramps before extending them and putting a cleat on top?

Once will do it.

Haven't yet in over 25 years. I know enough to stop when I'm at the top level.

I have to correct that. Once when I had placed the ramps on dry leaves one of them must have slipped forward a bit so I did go over the other ramp. No big deal. Jacked that side up a bit and pulled out the ramp and started over after blowing away the leaves.

Once will do it.

I added height, a tire stop, and wider top landing to mine, all glued and screwed …
Well, they are getting heavy … but still trustworthy

Originally Posted by 4WD

Once will do it.

I added height, a tire stop, and wider top landing to mine, all glued and screwed …

If I had the room to store them, I'd build a beast of a set. Seeing those Rhino ramps has me rethinking mine. I now use them with jack stands.

Originally Posted by 4WD

Once will do it.

I've done the same. A bit of 1 by screwed down on the top for the tire stop. Wheels are pretty much centered on the ramps. Yes it makes them heavier but they aren't so heavy to herniate yourself. Lean them up against the wall when done.

I know someone who had some steel ramps collapse. Fortunately he had gone back into the house for a coffee refill. Someone above was looking out for him that day. After that he built some wood ramps. They won't collapse.

Last edited:
I use treated lumber for many things … but for car ramps use plain lumber and something like gorilla glue …
For stacked areas 3" self starting screws … small pilot hole even with this screw type (I use two drills on projects)
In hindsight … should have made the first rise 6" longer to get that initial "pin" and newer vehicles have the low air dams.
The wide top let's you put that layer cross grained.

Back