Tire plug and or replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sons car recently picked up a small/finishing nail and of course Walmart wouldn't patch it as I was right in the meat of the tread which was the last tread on the outside of the tire, dead center, not the outer part.
The tires are Dunlop signature ll, 2 yrs old with about 25k and show 70% tread depth. I plugged the tire myself a week ago and it's been fine holding air and all seems well. I'm 46 and have been plugging tires for 30yrs and never an issue. Should I just replace the set of tires with a set of yokohamas for around $325 or am I wasting my money? I hate getting rid of darn nice tread but the Walmart guy basically said the tire was shot which I know they've gotta do for leagal purposes. I thought about just buying 2 new Dunlop's but they're going to cost as much as a new set.

Why replace? Sounds like it's holding air and has plenty of life left. I'd run it. Maybe show your son how to check it with soapy water occasionally for leaks

I picked up a nail in one of the OE Conti's on my Focus 2 years (and approx. 20K) ago.....I plugged it and forgot about it...I'm getting ready to replace them soon at 46K. I have no issue using a properly plugged tire although I prefer using it on the rear of the vehicle.

Well Dad, I'm like you.
I'd plug it comfortably and see what happens. Now of course, I wouldn't try if it was right at the sidewall but since it's where you explained, I'd do what you did and keep an eye on it.

If it leaks, it'll leak slowly. I have 2 tires now(1 on each 2 DDs in my sig) that each have a tire plug just about where you describe your son's. I ran them both all summer like this without issue, even on long 4 + hr road trips.

I've been plugging tires(Bias, Glass belt, Radials & multi ply truck tires) since ~1970 and have never had one fail. But again, I wouldn't do one that I didn't feel would be safe. So, to say the least, I have refused to plug (or even patch) many.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pbm
I picked up a nail in one of the OE Conti's on my Focus 2 years (and approx. 20K) ago.....I plugged it and forgot about it...I'm getting ready to replace them soon at 46K. I have no issue using a properly plugged tire although I prefer using it on the rear of the vehicle.

Good advice

Thanks all. I guess Walmart's policy is if it's within an inch and a half of the sidewall they won't patch it. If it was in between the treads I probably wouldn't have done it but it was in the meat of the tread, dead center. I only plug sidewalls on lawnmower tires so any fear of a high speed blowout doesn't exist lol.

Truth: If the tire was driven on when low and there's rubber mulch on the inside the tire is indeed junk and unsafe. The only way to check is break the bead.

Opinion: If the tire was not driven on I would return it to service under the condition that it can't build up a lot of heat. High speed, heavy load, or low tire pressure will stress it too much for the rudimentary plug in that location.

Or just buy a pair of new tires installed on the rear of the car.

"I'm 46 and have been plugging tires for 30yrs and never an issue. Should I just replace the set of tires with a set of yokohamas for around $325 or am I wasting my money? I hate getting rid of darn nice tread but the Walmart guy basically said the tire was shot which I know they've gotta do for leagal purposes."

Why would you let a guy at WalMart (who has probably only been installing tires for a month or two) override your 3 decades of real world pragmatic experience? Like you, I have plugged over 50 tires in my lifetime and the only one that leaked failed immediately when I did the soapy water leak check after installing the plug. I would rely on your common sense and anecdotal experience to make the decision. As long as your son has a good spare and keeps it inflated, it would be wasteful to scrap a serviceable tire.

It was down to 10psi when I noticed it. No uneven wear or damage so it wasn't driven long like that. These tires have a very stiff sidewall so even at 10psi it didn't look very low. I'll switch the tire to the rear. If it were mine I'd just run it and keep an eye on it but being that my son drives this thing to school 4hrs away I'm airing on the side of caution. He has a spare and knows how to change a tire but I'm more worried about a blowout.

Originally Posted by D1dad
It was down to 10psi when I noticed it. No uneven wear or damage so it wasn't driven long like that. These tires have a very stiff sidewall so even at 10psi it didn't look very low. I'll switch the tire to the rear. If it were mine I'd just run it and keep an eye on it but being that my son drives this thing to school 4hrs away I'm airing on the side of caution. He has a spare and knows how to change a tire but I'm more worried about a blowout.

Unless it was totally flat and he drove it on the wheel there shouldn't be any rubber particles worn on the inside. If it was still partially inflated the tire should be structurally sound minus the puncture. I don't have kids but I understand the caution.

These diy rope/string plug or new tire(s) posted often here. The tire repairable area pic posted often too. CapriRacer the resident tire expert, 'based on my reading this subforum', one answer if outside repairable area, replace tire.

Yep, anecdotally many of have used diy plugs with seeming success, including myself many years ago before DT came to the area. As long as you know and assume whatever risk there may be, your call. That said I'm pretty sure again from reading here, CR would say there's a chance of putting others at risk too.

About two months ago, I came out of Planet Fitness and my rear tire was flat. Good old long screw in there. Took it to a local shop, they refused to plug it. "Too much liability."
I went to Autozone, bought the plug kit, followed the directions, and it's holding just fine for $12. If not in the sidewall, go for it.

Plugging is OK, but you need to break the bead and patch it from the inside too. Just a plug is dangerous and only a temporary repair until you can get it somewhere to inspect the inside and patch it.

I've plugged plenty of tires if the years with only one failure. I tried plugging a tubeless motorcycle tire and the thin tire casing made the plug pop out. Plug refills are cheap at Napa and a big tube of rubber glue is cheap at Walmart. I don't care if DT fixes it free or not. I'm not spending a Saturday morning waiting on them to fix it.

Looks like the majority say to leave it. I have a plug going on 5 yrs on the front of my powerstroke diesel that's never leaked a drop. It's actually 2 plugs because it picked up a bolt.

laws change BUT repairs WORK. the best is what looks like a patch with a tail-plug attached, it must be inserted from inside. i once had 4 of them in one like new expensive tire + no issues until worn out!! there was a LOT of screws with plastic washers that prolly fell of a truck on a busy 2 lane bridge, i COLLECTED 7 in all, + ALL repaired successfully! as usual everyone is looking for high $$$$ profits at your expense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back