Walmart oil/filter changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Go to the dealer, how much do they charge and is it closer? Then there is the dealer receipt, you are in the computer, and you know they used the right filter and oil. Tell them oil change only.

Tell them oil and filter change only.

There have been reports of Walmart sending cars off without adding oil, and other forum members who claim to work at the Walmart TLE have stated that they have next to no hiring standards for their techs. Always check the oil level BEFORE you drive off! If your car has skid plates, etc., I'd peek under and see if they re-installed those as well as visually inspect that the filter was changed, if possible. Best would be to watch them do the work from the bay. I see the same employees at my local TLE, but I only use them to drop off used oil every 6 months.

You may want to buy the OEM oil filter from the dealer or an online dealer. I thought some Hyundai/Kia required the OEM filter on some models but could be mistaken.

I remember seeing that Hyundai (and possibly Kia) only recommended fuel service treatment if you did not regularly use Top Tier fuel. Otherwise, a bottle or two of Techron would probably serve you well.

There's no money to be made in oil changes so anywhere but Walmart's gonna try and upsell anything and everything.

I love how oil change places sell synthetic like it's some prize they keep in the safe.

I've used Walmart's Auto Care centers occasionally and haven't had any problems at all. But, not all service centers are the same. I say, try them once. You can probably get close enough to the action to talk to the tech(s) and see if they know what they are doing. If you don't like what you see, try somewhere else next time.

Originally Posted by Oil_Rookie
I'd rather not, for two main reasons: 1) I want to have valid service receipts for the vehicle warranty. 2) I don't want to screw anything up.

I understand especially with your experience thus far with your dealership. You can with Walmart no issues but DIY if you keep your receipts and log it's a valid receipt.

As for concern #2 well that is on you.

This won't be a popular reply, but since you are intent on having a good paper trail for the oil changes in case of future warranty claim(s), I would say give the dealership your oil change business.

I say that because...hold on...BRB...

Okay, I'm back, sorry, there was a mob of BITOGers outside carrying torches and pitchforks and clamoring for my hide...

Anyway, the reason I suggested to give the dealership your oil change business was exactly for the reason you want to keep a good record of the oil change history - in the event of a future warranty claim. Although I'm saying it not for any regular warranty claim, but for those rare, once in a lifetime strange warranty claims where the decision to approve the warranty work could go either way...50/50 chance you are denied or approved.

Let's say some component goes out 1 month outside of the factory's warranty ended or 1000 miles past the end of the warranty. If you have a demonstrable history of bringing the vehicle into that dealership for regular service, they are more likely to work for you rather than against you if you request a warranty claim on said component.

Maybe it's a free tow into their service center or an upgraded loaner car for an extended time period. There are any number of things they could do to make it worth your while for using them for your regular maintenance.

Just a thought, and it's not without precedence I might add. So think it over before making your final decision.
grin.gif

I do my own but, I've taken or been with friends to the local Walmart. I watch and they do an an acceptable job AND, you pick the oil and filter you request from their stock. Check out any dealer or independent you and determine if they do an acceptable job by asking other. Ed

Originally Posted by chainblu
I've used Walmart's Auto Care centers occasionally and haven't had any problems at all. But, not all service centers are the same. I say, try them once. You can probably get close enough to the action to talk to the tech(s) and see if they know what they are doing. If you don't like what you see, try somewhere else next time.

This👆OP... obviously the dealership is the preferred approach as far as record keeping goes but it's not like a shop or the dealership is immune from screwing things up either. But if you're totally averse to using the dealership try your local Wally's and see how it goes and if you get good service, try them again. Who knows, you just might be pleasantly surprised by them. In the past when I've had to use a shop to do an oil change I've always checked the fill cap and filter for tightness (my filters up top) and placed a piece of cardboard underneath overnight, to check for drips. Also check the fluid level after it's had a chance to sit overnight. You might consider the same. Whatever you do be consistent in using the same place in case a stripped plug should happen, that way your records support your claim that "they did it".

Originally Posted by dwendt44
Quaker State and possibly Pennzoil have oil change centers as well.

SOPUS owns Jiffy Lube.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Since this is BITOG, have you considered doing the job yourself? That way you know exactly what is in the sump and you can take pride in a job well done.

I agree. Don't forget to install a Fumoto valve.

Mentioned earlier: "... Recommendation from local NAPA store: a semi-retired gentleman who used to run a local gas/service station. He works out of his rundown garage."

Sounds like Scotty Kilmer

Originally Posted by Eddie
My local Jiffy Lube has a big Valvoline sign out front.

That's bizarre...

In the end no matter where you go it will depend on that person who is going the job. You can get a reliable clean cut person or you can get Jimmy from Yellowstone.

Do it yourself.

Hand thread in drain plug, then tighten with ratchet.
Hand thread in oil filter, then 3/4 turn.. or hand tight.
Add oil. Triple check tightened drain plug, oil filter and added oil.....and carefully check oil level after running car a couple minutes.

Many many "professionals"
Cross thread drain plug and filter
Over tighten drain plug and filter
Overfill engine with oil
Forget to put oil cap back on
Forget to tighten drain plug at all
Ect

Grease monkey a$$ clowns

Do it yourself

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
In the end no matter where you go it will depend on that person who is going the job. You can get a reliable clean cut person or you can get Jimmy from Yellowstone.

Hahaha, no..not Jimmy, anyone BUT Jimmy;...‚.. love that show btw, one of the best westerns to come along in a while!ðŸ‘

5 years ago I bought my Subaru. Called Valvoline at 3500 miles, asked how much an oil change would be, almost pooped myself when they said $70. bUt YoUr cAr rEQuiReS sYnThEtIc they said. So, I bucked up, learned to change my own oil. Learned to rotate tires, do brakes, differential fluid, and more along the way. I keep detailed logs of all maintenance with sufficient receipts to prove my maintenance history. This takes time, but I'd say an hour to document an oil change is worth it considering it saves me $50 each time i DIY.

Get a solid method down to track maintenance, buy the filters from the dealership, 10w-30 Supertech synthetic, and reap the savings.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

That's bizarre...

Franchisees are free to use the brands they choose. They are encouraged and incentivized to use SOPUS products, but as long as they adhere to operational standards and pay their franchise fees, they can keep their Jiffy Lube signs up regardless of the oil they feature. A long time sales tool is for an oil company to loan money to a car dealer or lube center or garage in exchange for their oil purchases for a certain amount of time. A sharp owner will shop for the best deal he can get on a lube agreement.
Company stores are another matter, but at one time they usually only existed to keep stores open when, for whatever reason, there was no franchisee.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Scuder
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

That's bizarre...

Franchisees are free to use the brands they choose. They are encouraged and incentivized to use SOPUS products, but as long as they adhere to operational standards and pay their franchise fees, they can keep their Jiffy Lube signs up regardless of the oil they feature. A long time sales tool is for an oil company to loan money to a car dealer or lube center or garage in exchange for their oil purchases for a certain amount of time. A sharp owner will shop for the best deal he can get on a lube agreement.
Company stores are another matter, but at one time they usually only existed to keep stores open when, for whatever reason, there was no franchisee.

Is that speculation or have you actually seen that language in a franchisee contract? I find it hard to believe that Jiffy Lube Inc. would be "ok" with a big Valvoline sign hanging out front when they spend millions of dollars a year advertising Pennzoil as their premium oil.

I could see possibly the franchisee being allowed to use a bulk oil they source directly for it's low tier, basic oil change service but I highly doubt that's happening for it's Signature Services. Plus my guess is if the franchisee is using it's own sourced fluids the parent company, Jiffy Lube inc., is not gonna cover any damages under it's nationwide warranty program that it advertises on its website since it has no control over the fluids being used.

Fwiw, I know the VIOC uses/can use unbranded coolant but they're required to use Valvoline oils and they have to pay a penalty fee of X% of each months net revenue for not using Valvoline fluids.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back