Any 0w-30 oil users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda uncommon viscosity, but it exists. Does anyone regularly use it for their vehicle? At my Kia dealer, we ONLY use Total 0w-30 for the Kia Stinger 2.0 Turbos. The 3.3 twin turbos get any 5w-30.

Used Mobil1 AFE 0-30 once in a Chevy Cruze in the winter. Definitely starts easier on cold days. I have read it shears into a thick 20 grade but that's bot the end of the world for most applications.

I kinda want to try 0w-30 in a Hemi with MDS. I can readily buy the stuff at my shop haha. It should be fine since it may shear into a 5w-20, which is what these engines call for. I feel a bit more viscosity for high temperatures is necessary since the summers here in Arizona are brutal.

Keep in mind that there are two distinct 0w30 offerings on the market
smile.gif

M1 AFE 0w30 is a thinner 30, while Castrol Edge 0w30 is a thicker Euro-style oil, closer to a 40

Yup, exclusively using PP Euro LX 0w-30 in the Giulia. Might consider Ravenol FES at some point, but time will tell.

Been running M1 AFE in my Tacoma for 2 years now I think? Nothing to report, and got a great UOA on it with 10k awhile ago, said I could take it to 12k if I wanted. Not bad for vanilla M1!

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 in my Saturn SL2 right now...

Interesting how there's a 0W and a 5W version of that oil. Either one better than the other?

In Arizona, why are you considering any 0W oil ... ? 0W oils are designed to work well in extreme COLD temperatures, like -20F and colder. Pretty sure you don't see temps like that, EVER.

Your climate was made for an old school 10w30. Adequate cold weather pump ability, with less risk of shearing down a grade.

Originally Posted by Loobit
I kinda want to try 0w-30 in a Hemi with MDS. I can readily buy the stuff at my shop haha. It should be fine since it may shear into a 5w-20, which is what these engines call for. I feel a bit more viscosity for high temperatures is necessary since the summers here in Arizona are brutal.

As brutal as the summers are, the temps inside your engine are nearly twice as bad, every single day it reaches operating temps. Oil does not even start to behave correctly at temps that would kill you in less than half an hour. I agree with Geeman, if you are concerned your engine "needs" additional protection, a 10W30 will be better suited than a 0W30.

I personally have quite a stockpile (65L worth) and have been using, for the past 16 years, Esso XD-3 0W-30, which has been rebranded Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0W-30. Great stuff.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I used to run 0W-30 in my 530i, back when GC was all the hype. Now using 0W-40 instead.

Almost exactly the same story. I used to run Castrol Syntec 0W-30 in my 528i. The Castrol European formula 0W-30 is hard to find sometimes now. If I can't find it, I use Syntec 0W-40.

The 0W-30 was good oil. But apparently it was almost a 40 weight.

Originally Posted by daves87rs
Ran M1 0w30 in my Cobalt. It did just fine- but it made the Ecotec loud!!

Otherwise it did well....

I ran Amsoil 0w30 in a lot of cars year round, but my mid-Atlantic temps are not as cold as Canada, nor as hot as Arizona. 20 F is about the normal cold in winter, while 95 F would be close to the extreme hot. I did many UOA with that oil, and never had issues. Once I get rid of my 5w30 stash I may go back to the 0w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back