Stamped steel suspension parts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching a video from Savage Geese (auto reviewer on YouTube) on the 2019 Jetta and he mentioned how that car, and many compact / smaller vehicles use stamped steel suspension parts. Parts of note he mentioned were lower control arms, steering knuckle and sub frame. I have been eyeing the current generation Jetta R-Line as the next car for my wife. My question is, are stamped steel parts of poor quality? Will they not hold up over time vs. other designs, or is this a non-issue?

Looking at the parts themselves they do look chintzy and small, but for all I know that may be completely acceptable for a vehicle of this size and weight.

I just have thoughts of hitting one pothole and saying goodbye to all those components. Strange question, maybe, but I am genuinely curious.

If they are stamped and are the correct alloy then in theory they should last. I didn't think the R line or the gli Jetta fell into this category. Interesting find. Unfortunately it seems like there are fewer collectors and cars are becoming more disposable.

Originally Posted by gregk24
I was watching a video from Savage Geese (auto reviewer on YouTube) on the 2019 Jetta and he mentioned how that car, and many compact / smaller vehicles use stamped steel suspension parts. Parts of note he mentioned were lower control arms, steering knuckle and sub frame. I have been eyeing the current generation Jetta R-Line as the next car for my wife. My question is, are stamped steel parts of poor quality? Will they not hold up over time vs. other designs, or is this a non-issue?

Looking at the parts themselves they do look chintzy and small, but for all I know that may be completely acceptable for a vehicle of this size and weight.

I just have thoughts of hitting one pothole and saying goodbye to all those components. Strange question, maybe, but I am genuinely curious.

Its 100% a non issue. The bushings are what will die, not the LCAs or whatever. Stamped may even be more rigid per pound.

Our 1979 Pontiac Bonneville 2 door, had stamped A-arms....

So did my '67 Chevy II Nova, which was crazy hard to press out the rusted bushing sleeves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Its 100% a non issue. The bushings are what will die, not the LCAs or whatever. Stamped may even be more rigid per pound.

01.gif

The only time the actual parts would need to be replaced is in the event of a crash

Stamped steel for suspension parts is nothing new. Cold working steel can increase its strength also.

There is a perceived quality increase when you have cast aluminum parts, but... throughput is lower from a production standpoint, not to mention, the manufacturing process has to be strictly controlled, to prevent defects in the casted part that would cause a pre-mature failure.

Sounds like Savage Geese is complaining just to complain and generate views.

Many, likely most, possibly close to all cars use stamped suspension parts. If they are designed and built properly for the application they will last longer than the vehicle. Even if you did take 2-trakc at 80mph multiple times
19.gif

Stamped steel inferior?... compared with what? Stamped steel is a wonderful way to make a strong lightweight part in high volume cheaply.

Now I'm thinking … cut out the stamped steel and Rhino coated bed and go back to wood … ?

My MK5 wagon has a cast aluminum subframe and cast steel control arms, vs. My MK7 R--which has a stamped steel subframe and control arms.

The stamped control arms are actually lighter, and the Audi aluminum subframe that fits on the MK7 is just a faction lighter. Overall though, the MK7 is quite a bit stiffer due to other design considerations. So ultimately I think material choice like this is just one parameter, and looking at it in isolation is a bit short-sighted.

I do think that "perceived value" is a big part of the equation with stuff like this (hence the Audi aluminum subframe). Truth is though, stamped steel does work well in both o these applications if it's engineered correctly. Yes, cost is a factor, for sure--but ultimately it comes down to how it works. The MQB chassis is way more robust than the old MK5 platform--stiffer and less shifting. Most performance-oriented MK5 folks were installing deadset kits to fix problem, while the MQB set up is stiff and problem-free. Stamped steel also dampens vibration better then aluminum, which quiets the car up a bit.

In short, it's a non-issue.

Stamper steal is cheaper, but heavier, than aluminum. It is, however, in many cases, stronger.

In a high performance car, where weight is the enemy and budgets allow for more expensive parts, you will usually see aluminum, often forged. On regular cars, stamped steel is perfectly functional, just not as exotic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gregk24
Thank you for your replies. I wonder where SG was going with this?

He's doing nothing more than just pointing it out. Auto enthusiasts are a different breed than the average person.... kind of like audiophiles (remember Monster cables and their "superior" clarity?).

All else being equal, less unsprung/semi-sprung mass will mean better handling. However, a system that's inferior on paper but better engineered or setup can outperform one that should be better but was just slapped together. Throwing aluminum at something instead of steel work magically make it better. For the average person and most enthusiasts though, the difference is minuscule or nonexistent.

Last edited:
Stamped steel has worked fine for decades. Only a crash or a hard hit on a curb or pothole would be cause to replace any control arm.

With the advent of HSLA steel, the weight/strength advantage is close to forged aluminum but at a much lower cost.

Its not an issue, I had a VW here 21 years old with the original LCA (I am sure it has had bushings replaced a few times) and over 200K on the clock, the car has seen every New England winter since new. The LCA's are in good shape.

Wife's HHR came with aluminum LCAs. Needing a ball joint and bushing, I elected to replace the whole unit. All the aftermarket had were stamped steel. Never noticed a difference. Funny that such a rough riding (stiff sway bar) heap was engineered with aluminum from the get-go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back