Stranded at home!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris, having lived in SOCAL for 49 years, I can appreciate the biblical event that would be for SOCAL natives.

SOCAL is the land of worn out tires and 8 years old windshield wipers driven too fast for these conditions. Plus the CHP will close a road, or better yet, an interstate at the drop of a hat.

I used to drive I-8 a lot. I have had to take alternate routes many times.

That photo of the small road looks eerie. Looks like a moonscape in a way..

When I was in Santa Clarita California in the early 70s it snowed. The next morning I5 was clear with snow on the side of the road. Many cars were still running chains (put on for the Grapevine 15 miles away) at 70mph. The sound of those chains on dry pavement was deafening. There was an abandoned car facing random clock positions from the direction of travel on the side of the freeway about every 100 yards.
To say a lot of Southern Californians don't know how to drive in snow is an understatement. It is wise for the authorities to close highways in conditions Northerners would consider tailgating weather.

Its sticking at my house.

IMG_20191226_164220.jpg

IMG_20191226_164310.jpg

IMG_20191226_164659.jpg

IMG_20191226_164810.jpg

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Chris142
Snow really messes up southern california.

Nobody in SoCal owns a 4x4?

Most of the people that live in my area commute 100+ miles 1 way to work in the los angelas basin. A 4x4 would kill them in fuel. Gas is still $3.50+ for regular.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
When I was in Santa Clarita California in the early 70s it snowed. The next morning I5 was clear with snow on the side of the road. Many cars were still running chains (put on for the Grapevine 15 miles away) at 70mph. The sound of those chains on dry pavement was deafening. There was an abandoned car facing random clock positions from the direction of travel on the side of the freeway about every 100 yards.
To say a lot of Southern Californians don't know how to drive in snow is an understatement. It is wise for the authorities to close highways in conditions Northerners would consider tailgating weather.

We sat in the Sizzler in Big Bear,Ca watching a guy in a mustang with chains on his front wheels. His rear and unchained wheels were just spinning him in circles. We watched him for 45 minutes

That's crazy. It was 61F in Chicago today. I drove down that way through apple valley a few years ago and it was a nice 70s and zero thought of snow.

Chris 142,

I think I have the sister of your dog! We got ours from a correctional institution in Southern Ohio when she was 12 weeks old. They have a program where the inmates work with dogs and teach them basic commands. The dogs came from animal shelters and rescue shelters and lived in the prison. Cassidy just turned 3 years old the end of October.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ls973800
Chris 142,

I think I have the sister of your dog! We got ours from a correctional institution in Southern Ohio when she was 12 weeks old. They have a program where the inmates work with dogs and teach them basic commands. The dogs came from animal shelters and rescue shelters and lived in the prison. Cassidy just turned 3 years old the end of October.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Any idea what breed the dog is? My wifes niece found our dog in a busy intersection about 7 years ago. Took him to the pound to check for a chip and found none. Advertized him on facebook etc. Nobody claimed him.

He has had some training. He knows heel,shake and won't eat unless we are eating. I think he is rot and sheppard.

My wife actually had a DNA report done on Cassidy. She came back with Collie /Golden Retriever/ German Shepherd / Irish Setter and Chow Chow from her parents.

We have noticed some characteristics of most of those breeds in her, but also none such as the Chow. She was 64 pounds at her last vet visit 2 weeks ago. Very well behaved around the neighbor children and listens well.

She knows sit, stay, come, lay down, paw, other paw, stand up, and several other commands. Very protective of us when we are at home or in the car and keeps a close watch for anything in the yard! Hates geese which is a good thing as we have wetlands at the rear of our property. Loves the snow and running through drifts and burrowing her head into it.

My buddy who lives in Montana with me, went there with his fiance to visit her family over the holidays. Sent me a video this morning from Golden Hills with about a foot of snow on the ground. I jokingly told him he brought some Montana with him! Lol

Originally Posted by ls973800
My wife actually had a DNA report done on Cassidy. She came back with Collie /Golden Retriever/ German Shepherd / Irish Setter and Chow Chow from her parents.

We have noticed some characteristics of most of those breeds in her, but also none such as the Chow. She was 64 pounds at her last vet visit 2 weeks ago. Very well behaved around the neighbor children and listens well.

She knows sit, stay, come, lay down, paw, other paw, stand up, and several other commands. Very protective of us when we are at home or in the car and keeps a close watch for anything in the yard! Hates geese which is a good thing as we have wetlands at the rear of our property. Loves the snow and running through drifts and burrowing her head into it.

Our dogs name is guardian. Last time he was weighed he was 110 lbs.

With I5 and Hwy 58 closed all traffic from southern to northern Calif is funneled over Hwy 101. All of my local roads are jammed and there are accidents constantly.

All the more reason to have some extra food at home as well as a 4WD if you do have to go out. Won't do much good if roads are blocked though. Lol.

I can't believe people were taking back roads in cars. Wow.

Back roads would be great. I15 has been closed over the pass near the state line, and some of the Vegas to LA traffic has been trying to make their own road through the desert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back