15 Year/500,000 Mile Warranty???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local dealer offers a 15 Year/500,000 Mile Warranty which guarantees your Engine, Transmission, Drive Axle System, Seals, Gaskets, and Internally Lubricated Parts for 15 Years / 500,000 Miles

Details are--- 15 Years from vehicle manufacture date or 500,000 Miles on vehicle odometer, whichever comes first. Customer is required to perform all scheduled maintenance per manufacturer recommendations and can do so at ANY *OF THEIR* Dealership locations.

What is the catch? Will they make that much from scheduled maintenance, or are they betting that the vehicle will need no major repairs. Just bought the wife a 2020 F150, 2.7 Eco Boost and this was offered so I was wondering.

They also offered the FORD extended warranty and a second party extended warranty which I declined. The FORD warranties I bought on two new vehicles in 2008 (F150 & Mustang GT) were worthless.

Well if this place is still in existence in 15 years, all might be fine. 95% of the population would be tired of the car after 6 years, so their risk is low.

Originally Posted by pburchett
Local dealer offers a 15 Year/500,000 Mile Warranty which guarantees your Engine, Transmission, Drive Axle System, Seals, Gaskets, and Internally Lubricated Parts for 15 Years / 500,000 Miles

Details are--- 15 Years from vehicle manufacture date or 500,000 Miles on vehicle odometer, whichever comes first. Customer is required to perform all scheduled maintenance per manufacturer recommendations and can do so at ANY *OF THEIR* Dealership locations.

What is the catch? Will they make that much from scheduled maintenance, or are they betting that the vehicle will need no major repairs. Just bought the wife a 2020 F150, 2.7 Eco Boost and this was offered so I was wondering.

They also offered the FORD extended warranty and a second party extended warranty which I declined. The FORD warranties I bought on two new vehicles in 2008 (F150 & Mustang GT) were worthless.

You failed to mention the price of this 15Y / 500K warranty?
The catch-here is that you will be required to have a dealer perform manufacturer recommendation services, on-top of manufacturer required services. You should expect to pay a bundle for all the recommended services - then the usual / additional bundle for required services on your vehicle.

But no one here can give you any direction / advice, without you-first admitting how much this warranty costs.

Good luck with the jacked up prices, and "scheduled maintenance" requirements. I'd be willing to bet they have their own "maintenance schedule" they want you to follow, and it has a lot more items and shorter intervals than the owner's manual does. Oh and the rate for the services is probably double what you'd pay at a local shop if not more. If a salesman were to give me that warranty pitch I'd buy my vehicle from another dealer.

Many auto warranty companies have gone bankrupt over the years by design. Let me repeat that, by design. The money is often held in an offshore bank.
There are dealers that do free lifetime oil changes and tire rotations. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to explain how they might recoup money offering it.
This dealer offers it north of me: https://www.chesrown.com/inventory/used-1980-gmc-jimmy-4x4-4wd-k5-tkl18af522765

The 15 Year/500,000 Mile Warranty had no charge FREE for just letting them service your ride.

I do not think we will use it but was curious. We have 3 free oil changes from the dealership because the wife registered her F150 with the FORD PASS app. Those 3 free oil changes will give her a chance to see how she likes the way they treat her truck. We have never had anyone else work on our vehicles except for recalls or something I could not do myself due to not having expensive equipment.

OP,

You realize the dealership will make quite a bit of money off of servicing your vehicle for the next 15 years? That's not even discussing an owner keeping their vehicle for that long..

When you figure how much you'll spend having all the recommended maintenance done at their dealership, they'll likely still be ahead even if they do have to replace an engine or transmission at some point. Of course, if the time ever does come that you need to use the warranty, they will probably come up with something you didn't do exactly as you were supposed to so they can get out of the warranty claim.

Local dealer here offers lifetime, unlimited miles, on those parts. Included with every sale. They've been around for decades and have a 5 star rating on google, etc.. everyone I know who has tried to use said warranty has told me they honor it politely and as advertised.

I have seen this before. They make money off the scheduled maint. And assume many will sell, trade or crash their vehicle before 500K miles.

I wonder that if you did your own maint you might be able to force them to accept that under various laws. But you might need to sue them. I have counsel on retainer (wife).

There was a yt video posted here recently where a gentleman from a Ford dealer explained how these dealer extended "service contracts" work and why their dealer didn't offer them. Essentially they are legit, however if you missed the factory service schedule by just one mile/day or broke down away from the dealer, you were out of luck. Since there were more ways for the dealer to get out of the obligation and they didn't want to deal with the ill-will associated with denying claims.

I'd be curious to know if anyone has had their Focus/Fiesta DCT transmission repaired under one of these service plans outside of the Ford warranty extension.

Note that these plans are not called an "extended warranty" since a warranty can only be from the manufacturer, free of charge. Anything above and beyond is considered a service contract.

I wonder if this warranty requires that you do no maintenance or repairs on the vehicle yourself? Meaning that all of the required service and repairs must be done by the dealership or an affiliate.

That could get expensive if they required 3 month or 3,000 mile oil changes at a cost of $100 or something like that. If that were true, in 15 years you'd have done at least 60 oil changes and spent $6,000 on oil changes alone - not to mention the "required" engine and cabin air filters, transmission flushes, coolant flushes, etc.

probably just done to keep up foot traffic around newer offerings.
have one VW Golf with 500K +, it's a back up/safety car. Too weathered to sell. Too good to scrap.

Also look to see if they can total a vehicle if the price of the new transmission or engine is greater than the value of the truck.....like insurance.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
I wonder if this warranty requires that you do no maintenance or repairs on the vehicle yourself? Meaning that all of the required service and repairs must be done by the dealership or an affiliate.

That could get expensive if they required 3 month or 3,000 mile oil changes at a cost of $100 or something like that. If that were true, in 15 years you'd have done at least 60 oil changes and spent $6,000 on oil changes alone - not to mention the "required" engine and cabin air filters, transmission flushes, coolant flushes, etc.

The OP said right here:

The whole point of that bogus warranty is to get customers to do the work at the dealership. It is a money maker. Someone who does their own work and documents it will be politely told the 15 year 500K mile warranty is void. Having said that as long as the work was done properly and documented the mfg. warranty would apply, and the extended warranty be void after the factory warranty is up. That's how it worked when I sold cars. Car dealers don't lose money, if they did their impressive buildings and large inventories wouldn't exist.

Originally Posted by mcrn
Also look to see if they can total a vehicle if the price of the new transmission or engine is greater than the value of the truck.....like insurance.

I would assume that they all would to total a vehicle that needed a repair that exceeded the value of the vehicle.

You'd have to drive over 33k miles per year to accumulate 500k miles in 15 years. Who drives that much? If you drive a more realistic 12-15k miles per year, you'll have between 180-225k miles after 15 years. Most people won't come close to 500k, and the dealer knows it. But they get to make people think, "Ohh wow 500k miles! That's unbelievable/that's the best warranty I've ever heard of! I can drive practically forever without worrying about repairs!" Except they don't realize they won't come close to that mileage, and they don't read the fine print, and they don't realize the amount of money they'll spend doing all that "required" maintenance at the dealer. Or at least the dealer is hoping they won't think of any of that.

And the dealer knows that no matter how good the warranty is, most people will trade the car in after 5-7 years anyway for one reason or another, at which point the car will probably have less than 100k miles and it'll probably still be under the factory warranty! But the dealer STILL made a ton of money because the first owner brought it in for all of that "required" maintenance to keep that incredible warranty intact.

I drive a little more than 36K miles a year on my primary vehicle. Easily 50K when factoring in my wife's car, my son's pick up along with all the other vehicles I drive in a year.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Originally Posted by mcrn

I would assume that they all would to total a vehicle that needed a repair that exceeded the value of the vehicle.

Extended warranties that you pay for do exactly that. EG: A "lifetime" warranty. People buy it thinking if they keep a car for a "lifetime" they're covered, lol. Lets say they keep a car as long as I kept my van [32+ years and still going], and the transmission goes. I'd get a check for the book value of my van, which is a lot less than a transmission, and the so called "lifetime" warranty would die/end. Funny thing had I bought a lifetime warranty on that van, the cost of the warranty would have exceeded the cost of the "covered" repairs made to that van in 32+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back