$95 Prius oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my first "free" warranty oil change at the dealer. $63 just for labor!

I don't know how walmart does it for $20. Well, yeah, I do.

img051.jpg

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
DIY or pay the piper!

In Maine, there is Prompto, a quick oil change chain that actually is inexpensive and doesn't try to upsell. Conventional oil change $23, synthetic $44. They probably don't carry 0w-16 though, but 0w-20 is close enough.

I carry in 6 quarts of Formula Shell 5w-30 ($1.99/quart), and a ACDelco PF46 oil filter ($3.97), and my mechanic changes it for a flat $10 fee.

A $27.50 oil change using quality parts, performed by a real mechanic... and I don't have to crawl underneath it.

"Check installation of vehicles drivers floor mat"

Are they still having problems with these causing jammed accelerator pedals or is this just a 'check it while it's here' item?

A Toyotacare 10K service should include a rotation. This typically bills out at 0.5 hr, sometimes a bit more. Toyota will pay up to 0.5 hr (but they used to cap the labor reimbursement at $70) under Toyotacare, so the $63 charge is not out of line.

The price for the parts was quite reasonable. Note the discount on the drain-plug gasket.

That price may have been a flat rate for an "oil change and tire rotation service", but the customer declined the tire rotation part.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I don't know how walmart does it for $20. Well, yeah, I do.

If your talking about how much WM pay's their shop employees, you would be surprised. ($15). I made $10 at the VW dealership, and they charged people $109 for an OC. No one got rich at the dealership besides the owner.

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
"Check installation of vehicles drivers floor mat"

Are they still having problems with these causing jammed accelerator pedals or is this just a 'check it while it's here' item?

0 dollars. They mark it down if it's missing.

I was under the impression the Toyota Care two year free maintenance (oil changes, tire rotations) for new cars was cost free. Apparently not? If so, what a marketing scam. I have a 2019 4Runner I'll be doing the oil changes myself.

I pay $90 at my BMW dealer for an oil service on the 2er. The N55 takes 7 quarts of 0W-30 BMW TPT. I usually have a coupon that knocks off another $15-$20.

Originally Posted by Hombre909
I was under the impression the Toyota Care two year free maintenance (oil changes, tire rotations) for new cars was cost free. Apparently not? If so, what a marketing scam. I have a 2019 4Runner I'll be doing the oil changes myself.

Call your own new vehicle Dealership for free oil change info, before believing anyone here 100%.

I declined the tire rotation because I just put snow tires on ~1000 miles ago.

$95 was what they billed Toyota, NA, not me, myself.

They didn't complain about my TPMS light, a function of the additional set of steel rims.

They washed the thing, quickly, but it got the salt off.

I did a change at 4700 mi with Supertough 0w16 and a wix filter, but wanted a couple OCIs in their computer. The whole experience was inconvenient-- making the appointment and scheduling my afternoon around it.

WMs oil changes are a loss leader to get you stuck in their store for an hour, buying stuff.

To add insult, the Ford dealership told me that I would not be able to get as quick of an appointment, as customers who paid them for oil and air filter changes, because I changed my own oil and filters. Best of luck to them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back