Shattered iPhone screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier I dropped my iPhone 7,fell screen side down,and cracked. The lower bottom is shattered with one crack going all the way to the top across the middle. It still works perfectly.

My question. Is there a way to successfully "jerry rig" fix it so it won't either spread,chip away,or crack even more till I get around to getting a new phone?

It may seem counter-intuitive but putting a screen protector on it should keep the glass from cracking any further and keep chunks of glass from breaking apart and falling out. My sis-in law shattered the back of her iPhone X and purchased a protector for the back to keep it together.

When I shattered one of my phones (worse than this), I applied screen protector (after shattering it, so that the crack doesn't give me a cut) and it worked perfectly fine for a month when I replaced.

Since the phone is so old, you can try to replace the screen yourself, if you wish. Not easy but if you have very stable hands (as in not jittery hands) you can do it.

I have the stick on screen protector on mine.. ive broken every phone ive owned except this one.. i think it will get you by for awhile..

I dont know about your area but there are plenty of guys on Facebook locally in my area that put new screens on iphones for reasonable price.

Those same guys also buy broken phones as well..

I keep my old Iphone6 as a dedicated MP3 player... better than any mp3 player ive owned.

Put the GLASS based screen protector on before it cracks as an added protection that reduces the chance it will crack. Once the protector cracks reinstall a new protector. It makes a difference. I always cracked my screens, I have yet to do it on a GLASS based protector-protected screen.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
What's a good glass based screen protector that I can get at Walmart?

ZAGG ones are okay, but pretty pricey. Never tried the Onn or Blackweb ones, but they're all pretty much the same.

I might try the cheapest one they have,just to nurse this thing along if possible.

My son didn't have a screen protector on his iPhone, and shattered the glass. It was repairable. It was about $180, IIRC. Your decision whether it is worth it. At the time, it was for us. We took it to a local shop, not through Apple.

Last edited:
Check and see if there is a "UbreakIfix" near you. Solid staff and inexpensive compared to the store. Utilized them numerous times.

Just go to their website and search iPhone 7 9h screen "9h" is the buzzword to find the glass ones.

BUT: IME, it's not going to work. The continued use is still going to cause it to spread. You might get a few months before it becomes unusable/unreadable. I've replaced 6 to 10 iPhone screens over the last few years.

BUT: you can replace these yourself if you are moderately skilled. Get an iFixit kit or chinese knock-off ( I had my iFixit kit stolen and ended up getting a knock-off - it works well). Then get a new digitizer (that is what broke, not the actual screen). Maybe $40 total, + patience and skill.

Now as a total aside, I was about to buy a used iPhone 7 to replace my relatively new SE ( love that form factor), but I need the bigger size for use in the car now, which I did not need before. PM me if you don't want the hassle and I'll pay you a market price for it if it is a good memory size and not that tacky "Rose Gold."
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Mainia
Put the GLASS based screen protector on before it cracks as an added protection that reduces the chance it will crack. Once the protector cracks reinstall a new protector. It makes a difference. I always cracked my screens, I have yet to do it on a GLASS based protector-protected screen.

+1

Or pay the $249 or whatever to get a replacement from Apple.

Next time when you get a new phone, buy the glass protector as supposed to plastic protector.

When it drops like that, the protector will shatter but not the original screen.

Cost around $5 to $10, NO need for expensive Zagg.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

ZAGG ones are okay, but pretty pricey. Never tried the Onn or Blackweb ones, but they're all pretty much the same.

I received a new iPhone 11 for Christmas, and, this being my first new iPhone in over 4 years (last phone was an iPhone 6S that I got in Sept. 2015), I wanted to immediately put a screen protector on (which I didn't have on the 6S, and, while I never cracked the screen, it did get a couple of small scratches due to me carrying other stuff in my pocket).

The fiancée has a 7+, and had used the Onn ($6 at Walmart), so she suggested I get that. I bought it last night and couldn't be happier with it. It is actually glass, and feels just as good to the touch as the actual screen glass. They make it super easy to install - it comes with a wet wipe to clean the screen, a microfiber to dry it, and a "tac strip" to wipe the screen with as a final step to remove minuscule dust particles before you apply the protector.

And then they make the protector itself super easy to line up because they give you little tabs with adhesive on them to stick to the front of the protector to hold on to so you can line it up and apply it without touching the back adhesive side.

Excellent value for $5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back