Some coolant seepage okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed my drive belt a couple weeks back and noticed some moisture around the water pump. I swabbed it with a q-tip and it appeared to not be oil but likely some coolant. Water pump isn't a major job on this car since it's not linked to a timing belt, it's just a stretch fit belt over the main pulley.

Aisin branded water pump is about $60 and it comes with the new seals. Belt is $15. Could I ignore this until 75K miles when I'll do a large maintenance job? Right now at 68K

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
You should be grateful it's giving you a warning before failing completely and change it as soon as possible.

Last edited:
No coolant loss that I've noticed. It would be awesome if I could stretch this until spring/summer so I can do Spark Plugs, Belts, Water Pump, Coolant, etc. all when it's nice weather.

When water appears at the weep hole it's also likely getting into the bearings and will ruin them and the whole thing goes south pretty quickly.

I guess I don't see a coolant leak. Looks like oil to me. But I'm no mechanic.

If I were gonna keep the car in close, I'd keep driving and checking the coolant level frequently.
I wouldn't take off on a trip if it's leaking coolant.

I'd be careful where I bought my water pump. I bought an Aisin Wheel Bearing that was counterfeit.
My mechanic caught it bore install. But I sure saved a lot of money. HAHA.. Thank goodness for
Amazon Prime. I returned it with no hassle.

When I've seen small antifreeze leaks, I've seen "crustiness" where the liquid boils off and the "minerals" or whatever are left behind make a crust. FWIW.

Oil will float on water while af will dissolve off your q-tip.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I guess I don't see a coolant leak. Looks like oil to me. But I'm no mechanic.

If I were gonna keep the car in close, I'd keep driving and checking the coolant level frequently.
I wouldn't take off on a trip if it's leaking coolant.

I'd be careful where I bought my water pump. I bought an Aisin Wheel Bearing that was counterfeit.
My mechanic caught it bore install. But I sure saved a lot of money. HAHA.. Thank goodness for
Amazon Prime. I returned it with no hassle.

Aisin pump would be from rockauto for $52. I've been avoiding Amazon for certain things because of counterfeiting. I'm 95% sure it's not oil. Doesn't smell or dissolve like oil would.

Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger
If you really want to half [censored] it for a while, get a lower pressure radiator cap.

No radiator cap on this car. Just the reservoir.

It might last, or it might dump all your coolant at the most inopportune moment. I would just do all the maintenance you were planning to do then, now.

Originally Posted by pschnahc
"Stretchy Belt"
lol.gif

Haha Yeah, I wonder why Mazda put that one there. It's just a stretch fit belt meaning no tensioner

Originally Posted by The Critic
Skyactiv? It is a very easy job. I did a 2.5 but the 2.0 should be very similar.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...zda-2-5l-skyactiv-water-pump#Post5194360

The 2.5 in that link was seeping for about a year and did not get worse.

Yup, 2.0L I have a Aisin pump and belt in my cart on RockAuto for $70 or so. Might I ask what you paid for OEM Mazda parts? I feel like the two gallons of FL22 is going to cost more than the pump.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105

Yup, 2.0L I have a Aisin pump and belt in my cart on RockAuto for $70 or so. Might I ask what you paid for OEM Mazda parts? I feel like the two gallons of FL22 is going to cost more than the pump.

My price was 20% off MSRP, which was around $100 for the water pump. On the 2.5L skyactiv, you also need a water pump pipe o-ring, part #PE01-15-287. The o-ring is sold separately. I am not sure if the 2.0L has the same arrangement.

Also, the Toyota/Aisin water pumps tend to leak. I am not sure if I would use an Aisin pump in another application.

My price was 20% off MSRP, which was around $100 for the water pump. On the 2.5L skyactiv, you also need a water pump pipe o-ring, part #PE01-15-287. The o-ring is sold separately. I am not sure if the 2.0L has the same arrangement.

Also, the Toyota/Aisin water pumps tend to leak. I am not sure if I would use an Aisin pump in another application.

Well the Mazda OEM pump is leaking with 68K so might as well try the Aisin. There's probably a good chance Aisin makes the Mazda part. That goes with a ton of Honda equipment, it's just Aisin with a honda stamp on it but half the price.

Last edited:

Well the Mazda OEM pump is leaking with 68K so might as well try the Aisin. There's probably a good chance Aisin makes the Mazda part. That goes with a ton of Honda equipment, it's just Aisin with a honda stamp on it but half the price.

If I recall correctly the Mazda pump was not Made in Japan or US so I do not think Aisin was the supplier.

All of the Honda V6 pumps I've seen have been made by Yamada. Aisin hasn't made pump for Honda in a long time, at least not the V6 models.

Also, you can probably reuse the stretch belt if you remove it very carefully.

Originally Posted by pschnahc
"Stretchy Belt"
lol.gif

It's OEM too lol. Bad translation to English?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back