Battery brands going into 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
This issue is top of mind today after my wife's frequently short-tripped car - which is normally parked inside and starts fine in 50 degree temps - was started outside this morning in 32 degree air and barely turned over. It did start and I now have the charger on it. The charger showed the battery at about 65% when I first hooked it up.

I could be buying two new car batteries in the coming year. I understand battery brands and suppliers are always changing, and it's been several years since i needed to buy a new battery.

Is there consensus these days on the best battery brands for performance/reliability/value on the market?

What are your options for auto parts stores in your area? For warranty reasons you want some place close or a place like AAP, wally etc...

Last edited:
I've had the best luck with anything Deka makes, and not just saying that because they're semi-local to me. Batteries Plus sells them under the Duracell brand.

Clarios seems to keep their status as the main supplier to most of the OEMs and as aftermarket batteries but their quality sucks - for that reason I'll only go to Costco for those.

Deka seems to be the favorite here. Walmart is now sourcing from Deka or Hyundai Solite - I think they aren't happy with the warranty return rate of JCI-made batteries. Exide seems to be going through a retail renaissance with AZ as of late.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for Deka or just keep on using ones from Costco.

Originally Posted by Macsignals
I've had the best luck with anything Deka makes, and not just saying that because they're semi-local to me. Batteries Plus sells them under the Duracell brand.

East Penn all the way-Deka, Douglas, Duracell, American, Intimidator AGM, a few other private labels (look for EP on the stamped serial number)-they are generally maintenance free & don't leak acid.

I've got AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly's and Napa, as well as Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Batteries Plus, etc.

I have generally gone with AutoZone's DuraLast line because they're nationwide and I've had good luck getting new batteries when there's been an issue.

Originally Posted by HawkeyeScott
I've got AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly's and Napa, as well as Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Batteries Plus, etc.

I have generally gone with AutoZone's DuraLast line because they're nationwide and I've had good luck getting new batteries when there's been an issue.

Those are basically all a mix of JCI, Exide and Deka depending on the battery. Pepboys has a decent price on the Champion AGM, it's usually 25% off and they have a $40 rebate. Black friday had 35% off with a $50 rebate. It's a smaller rebate for the regular one, but they're JCI so it's better than Exide.

With batteries and pro rates, the SERVICE is far more important than the brand.... I vote AutoZone Duralast, GOLD, because Autozones are everywhere, or EverStart, a WalMart Brand.... because they are everywhere!

I like NAPA, but they are usually not open when you need it. (shorted battery on a Sunday evening, need something for the morning, only vehicle, live in the boonies)

Good info, I'll be on the lookout for them next battery go round. Thanks lower Bucks!

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

East Penn all the way-Deka, Douglas, Duracell, American, Intimidator AGM, a few other private labels (look for EP on the stamped serial number)-they are generally maintenance free & don't leak acid.

+1 I didn't know about the "EP" stamp. THANKS A BUNCH!

If I don't buy OEM, I buy East Penn.

bullwinkle, to add to your list, Fisher and Federated Auto parts sell East Penn as well. I think Fisher/Federated are more regional, though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by twouvakind

Good info, I'll be on the lookout for them next battery go round. Thanks lower Bucks!

P.S. Penn Station Central Control runs on Deka! Deka recycles everything when it comes to new replacement cells.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
With batteries and pro rates, the SERVICE is far more important than the brand.... I vote AutoZone Duralast, GOLD, because Autozones are everywhere, or EverStart, a WalMart Brand.... because they are everywhere!

I like NAPA, but they are usually not open when you need it. (shorted battery on a Sunday evening, need something for the morning, only vehicle, live in the boonies)

I agree, I have a NAPA down the road, but they close at noon on Sat, not at all on Sunday. Wallyworld is open what, all day? I think they can look up the battery s/n and do warranty by that (at least that is what i think the clerk told me the other day). Kinda hard to beat that, IMO.

I've had 2 Deka AGM's (one branded as Napa$$) fail at about 6-8 months on 2 different vehicles. Both vehicles had healthy charging systems. I didn't use the warranty either time because I didn't want another one. Both cases were about 10 years ago. That may be no reflection on what they are now, but never again. Maybe the sellers didn't do the slow and low voltage charge that an AGM needs? On the other hand I had had excellent service from several Deka AGM motorcycle batteries.

I've had great luck with Walmart and Advance Auto batteries that were made by JC. All at the medium level amp models. I never have had cause to get a warranty replacement on about 7 or 8 purchases. One of them went 9 years in an Altima. I recently bought a Walmart Everstart Maxx which has been fine, but it's only been a few months. From other posts, they may not be JC anymore, or does JC still exist? The JC made batteries that Ford used as OEM in the 80's ( maybe beyond?) were most excellent. I've been treated very well on warranties other than batteries at Advance Auto and they're open 7 days a week around here.

I really wish that Panasonic automotive batteries were available in the US. Basic slosh batteries that last 7 to 10 years with maintenance. Both of my Japan made Scions have them as OEM. I have seen some vague references that they may be available in Hawaii and perhaps Puerto Rico.

I have never understood why sealed batteries that are not AGM or gell exist. The inability to refresh the water level when needed has to impact battery life.

I think a guy could probably look back in these posts and find someone that has had bad luck with any of the makes/brands, luck of the draw probably plays a bigger role. Finding a good warranty and a place close to where you live or work is your best option. I do think the East Penn/Deka's get the highest praise here but if I have to drive 30 miles to get one then I would look elsewhere.

The only battery I have ever had to use the warranty on is Duralast Gold, I had one in my old Bronco that lasted a long time so when it died I replaced it with the same and had nothing but issues with them until I sold it but AZ was good about replacing them.

I run Odyssey AGMs in everything I own; a very compliant Odyssey distributor who drops off batteries in an hour, with a no questions asked warranty, has a bearing on my choice.

Originally Posted by hank2

I really wish that Panasonic automotive batteries were available in the US. Basic slosh batteries that last 7 to 10 years with maintenance. Both of my Japan made Scions have them as OEM. I have seen some vague references that they may be available in Hawaii and perhaps Puerto Rico.

I have never understood why sealed batteries that are not AGM or gell exist. The inability to refresh the water level when needed has to impact battery life.

It doesn't make sense for Panasonic(or Furukawa Storage Battery and GS Yuasa) to bring batteries over to the US for aftermarket sales. Interestingly, Toyota has been bringing over Panasonic batteries from Japan and using them for their Kentucky or Indiana-built cars. I've seen a Japanese-made Panasonic under the hood of a American-made ES350 and Highlander at the dealership. I had to check the window sticker and FMVSS certification label to make sure they weren't Japanese-made models. Hyundai has been installing Solite, their in-house batteries in their Alabama-built models.

Toyota has Interstate bring in the S46B24R JIS terminal battery from GS Yuasa for service replacement - it's the Prius "boot" battery.

GM started the sealed battery trend in the 1970s. The older Delco Freedoms were a good battery, it was the choice of Honda and Toyota on most of their American made models.

Originally Posted by nthach
The older Delco Freedoms were a good battery, it was the choice of Honda and Toyota on most of their American made models.

That's what my Ohio built 1989 Accord came with. And, yes, prior to my first Optima Red Top it was the longest lasting battery in the car (owned it for 23 years).

Lead Acid Commentary.

Looking for a battery now. I've done this before. Sometimes availability is the deciding factor.

duffyjr's post is where I'm at "knowledge wise". I acknowledge "luck of the assembly line draw", shelf age and ease of fulfilling any warranty

I will look at Walmart. I see Champion at Pep Boys (of all places).

I think one has to say that on average East Penn makes a good battery, Exide makes a poor battery and JCI seems to be in the middle. But there will be lemons from all of the manufacturers.

But there are factors we do not know. Do some companies have a few factories and one is better than the other? JCI was sold and the batteries are now made in the middle east (I think), how does that effect quality.

A company could make a battery that works well up north but is terrible in the heat of Texas.

So you buy a battery of the manufacturer of your choice, make sure its fresh and that no one overcranks the bolts installing it. At that point you have done all you can to get a good battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back