Need a synthetic CF2 low ash straight 40W oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Smarch455
Why do you need straight 40?

Do you have a suggestion on a multi-weight with 40W as the top number, that is low ash, synthetic, and CF2 ? (and explain any disadvantages over the straight weight)

Not sure synthetic oil is available in a CF-2? DD 2 strokes tend to leak/consume a fair amount of oil, and, unless it's a newly rebuilt engine, synthetic would likely make the leaks bigger. Ever work on any old Detroits? They are like old Harleys, they leave their mark wherever they've been. Some Amsoil carries a CF-2 rating, but that would get expensive quickly.

P.S. I've heard that running multi grade in your Detroit will cause it to burn and slobber more oil than a straight weight. I'm getting my Rotella T1 SAE 40 for a better price than my T4 15W40, so I'm now running all my diesels on SAE 40.

I am not aware of any straight weight SAE 40wt. in synthetic. I favor straight weights in a mild climate to avoid viscosity index improvers.

I would be happy to find a straight weight oil in synthetic.

I use Shell Rotella T1 30 wt in the summer in my Toyota pickup to avoid VII's.

Originally Posted by frankbee3
I am not aware of any straight weight SAE 40wt. in synthetic. I favor straight weights in a mild climate to avoid viscosity index improvers.

I would be happy to find a straight weight oil in synthetic.

I use Shell Rotella T1 30 wt in the summer in my Toyota pickup to avoid VII's.

Amsoil is the only one I know of, they call it an SAE 10W30/SAE 30, it is a full synthetic without VIIs-
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...-sae-10w-30-sae-30-heavy-duty-motor-oil/
It's not CF-2 rated, but it would be good in old school gas applications. I generally use Delvac 1300 15W40 for that purpose, it's a LITTLE cheaper!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back