Brake Fluid Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.
My late father left the family his 2003 Dodge Diesel one ton LWB truck. It is in great condition with 124K on it. Everytime I drive it (It stays parked in a garage) I feel that you have to push the brake pedal kind of hard to slow the truck. I do not know if the truck has always been like this or not. It has every time I have driven it over the last three years. So I asked my visiting brother to take it to the Dodge dealer, where the truck has always been maintained since new, to have them check the brakes and give it a fluid flush (the fluid in the brake reservoir looks black). He stated when he asked them to do this, the service writer looked at him like he was on drugs or something. He stated they don't normally do that to vehicles. A mechanic came up to the counter and the service writer asked him about it too. (brother stated the mechanic was older, and looked like he'd been there awhile), to which the mechanic also stated they don't normally do that, it is not needed as long as the brakes work fine. They inspected the pads and rotors and such, looked everything over and aside form the engine oil change we requested, did nothing nor recommended any brake work, stating pads and rotors looked great. He took the truck back home with no further incident.

Now as a long time BITOG'er, I have to raise the WTH flag. Am I just being paranoid about the brake fluid, or what? I told my brother I'll just do it myself in springtime. Unless, of course I am creating my own problem.

Thoughts?

Brake fluid does absorb water over time. If it has not been changed in 16 years since new its time. However I doubt that will help with the force required to push on the brake pedal.

How often is it driven when engine comes up to operating temp for 15 minutes? Once a month would be ideal.

Find a good indy mechanic.

As a long time member of BITOG, you know that occasional (not obsessive) preventive maintenance is the correct way. I would be more concerned about creating family rift by taking on the responsibility of maintaining a family shared vehicle. Something breaks on a 16 year old vehicle because you did something not recommended by a certified mechanic could turn into sour grapes.

Lots of car manufacturers don't have an interval for changing brake fluid and others have you do it every 2-4 years. When I had drum brakes, the wheel cylinders would rust out if you didn't flush the brake fluid. I would expect the same for the calipers. But being hard to press probably isn't the brake fluid, maybe air in the lines or a master cylinder/booster going? Or it's just the way that particular car is, some manufacturers make super sensitive brakes and others don't so as long as you think you can lock them up with the brakes, then it may just be the nature of the car.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Something breaks on a 16 year old vehicle because you did something not recommended by a certified mechanic could turn into sour grapes.
So leave your family with a car with [censored] brakes? Certified mechanic? OK Boomer.

How does the power boost work on this, is there a vacuum pump or hydroboost or ??? I would check that.

You could also have mechanical issues like jammed slider pins or something awry in the drums. May be worthwhile to take it more apart for a better look.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Something breaks on a 16 year old vehicle because you did something not recommended by a certified mechanic could turn into sour grapes.
So leave your family with a car with [censored] brakes? Certified mechanic? OK Boomer.

Please show me where I said not to maintain the brakes? Quite the opposite if you re-read my post.

What don't you understand about the general public's perception of "certified mechanic" vs. weekend warrior and the consequences of said shade tree mechanic being the last one to "fix" a perceived non problem? It happens all the time.

With Boomer status comes the wisdom of experience.

5 yr max as moisture is said to kill ABS units $$$$. its easy with a motive power bleeder if the bleeders can be opened!!

Originally Posted by maxdustington

Though most of the advice on BITOG is technical, sometimes we address interpersonal issues.

I can understand why the original mechanic wouldn't want to do a fluid flush. The vehicle comes in with a brake complaint and sees the fluid is neglected. He's thinking, "what are the chances a fluid flush will help? versus, what are the chances something bad may go during the flush that will be blamed on me?"

With family it depends on how much they respect your opinion over the mechanic's opinion.

So you think the better answer is to tell the customer "we don't normally do this:" and hope nobody gets killed when they do go out, or just explain to the customer that it may involve more than just a flush?
It will be just myself and my brother driving it at any time. He understands my abilities to do this myself, the only reason he took it to the dealer is the truck is located out of state from both of us. Getting time to get up there to do it would take some more time than just a weekend jaunt.

I wonder if the pads might be stuck in place. I had that happen on my truck; I think the fronts were not moving at all, and that resulted in a truck with dodgy brakes. Had to hammer the pads out, file them down a hair, reinstall. Good braking since (all parts reused).

Yeah, they might not do fluid exchanges often, I could buy that. Most of the car buying public have no idea that the fluid should be changed. There's many things that the public at large don't know nor understand. Biggest issue here IMO is if the bleeders will crack open.

Funny how some dealerships recommend brake fluid exchange/flushes when the manufacturer doesn't and this dealership won't even do one when asked. I wonder if a customer described a "spongy" brake pedal and asked about bleeding air from the lines what they would say/do.

Most people - at least those that don't prescribe to doing everything the manufacturer says and only what they say - would agree that there's no harm in replacing brake fluid (except for the cost). Some simply say it's not necessary.

Bleeding the brakes on a 17+ year truck equipped with original brake fluid. I'll pass way too much liability. OP I understand you would not do this but there would be so much hate and anger directed towards the dealership if lines and or bleeders break open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back