Last Year that Chevy / GM Offered a 4.3 Litre V6 5 speed WT (Work Truck) Trim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year for sticks was 2006/2007 classic models.

You can get 4.3 RCLB GMT400/800 for anywhere from 2-6k+ here in Ontario. They are not uncommon and I think the 4.3 is bad on gas so people are willing to sell them. $4-6k seems be about the going rate for a decent one of either. I was looking for a GMT800 2WD RCLB 4.8 manual but I think those are either rare or people hold onto them.

I almost bought a 1995 ECLB 2500HD 2WD 6.5 manual last summer. I think the guy was asking $8000 or something and it had been for sale for a while. It was MINT and only had like 120k km on it. The market has definitely bottomed out on GMT800s, and 400s are starting to increase in price. Now is the time to buy either if you want one.

Originally Posted by Olas
Build one or buy one, wont bdifficult which ever way you decide to progress.

You mean buy an auto and convert it to a manual? Not easy. These trucks were last available with a 6cyl/5 speed manual in 2007 apparently.

Originally Posted by AZjeff

You mean buy an auto and convert it to a manual? Not easy. These trucks were last available with a 6cyl/5 speed manual in 2007 apparently.
Easier than you think in the rustbelt. Tons of cheap rust buckets with good engines and transmissions around here.

The conversion is not easy then the ECM and other programs must be reprogrammed the body and frame must be reconfigured and a host of little things.

It's not worth the effort. OP a 2014-2019 WT single cab 4.3 L EcoTec3 V6 even with a 6L80 is fun to drive and average FE of 22MPG is not hard to do. It's something to consider.

Originally Posted by dave1251
The conversion is not easy then the ECM and other programs must be reprogrammed the body and frame must be reconfigured and a host of little things.

It's not worth the effort. OP a 2014-2019 WT single cab 4.3 L EcoTec3 V6 even with a 6L80 is fun to drive and average FE of 22MPG is not hard to do. It's something to consider.

First off, thx to All for your responses. I have to agree that the all-aluminum 4.3 in the '14 thru '19 with the 6 speed AT is a great truck. What worries me there is so-called "chevy-shake". I have not heard that there is a definitive fix out there. I suspect it involves the super-thin aluminum driveshaft... no centre pillow-block + potential dimensional fabrication inaccuracies...?

I have owned a 2005 short bed 2wd 4.3 for about seven years,before I owned the truck, a local construction company had it and destroyed/dented the inside of the bed. I just covered it up with a bedliner

I use it as a work/road trip truck I have well over 200,000k on it

Been a great truck,the clutch is firm and very stiff,its not a easy clutch In traffic.

I use amsoil manual synrocmesh in the nv3500,it shifts wonderful,long throws,but great engagements,nice notchy but smooth shifts,the shifter is basically a 24" metal baseball bat so it takes some getting used to.

I get great fuel economy never measured it out but over 400 miles on a tank,I tow a 2000-3000lb enclosed trailer all over the east coast,it tows well. 80 mph in 5th gear flat ground,no problem and a down shift to 4th to pass or hills.

But they are great trucks,definitely a lighter duty 1500,but still a nice solid truck. There will be trucks out there with serious rust issues, especially in the salt belt,so watch out,check brake lines,and frame rails.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Originally Posted by dave1251

First off, thx to All for your responses. I have to agree that the all-aluminum 4.3 in the '14 thru '19 with the 6 speed AT is a great truck. What worries me there is so-called "chevy-shake". I have not heard that there is a definitive fix out there. I suspect it involves the super-thin aluminum driveshaft... no centre pillow-block + potential dimensional fabrication inaccuracies...?
My parents have a 2015 and it doesn't have it. My Dad hangs with the original owner every week so I don't think it ever had it. 2015 was the most notorious year, IIRC.

I had one WT 1500 and a LT2 Z71 1500 both 2018 without the so called shake. IMO it's a solid platform. My Sons all like the ride of my 18 Silverado compared to my Son's 19 Ram 1500. His comment was the Silverado drives and rides like a tank and the suspension absorbs the everything better. I have to agree after taking the Ram to L.A. this summer after 5 days I felt like I was on a ship for 3 days.

No small task, swap engines and ECU's. And I don't know about Canada's emission laws either.

OP, what are you after? A manual trans truck with the least options and best non-towing work truck? A cheap set of wheels? Not sure what the goal is... Would a plain-jane 4.8/4AT work ok? They tended to have tall rear gearing I think, but probably are going to eek out better mpg than the older 4.3's would. Around town I have to think deeper gearing is going to be helpful though, even if it hurts highway mpg; but on a 2WD gearing changes isn't too big of a deal.

Originally Posted by supton

OP, what are you after? A manual trans truck with the least options and best non-towing work truck? A cheap set of wheels? Not sure what the goal is... Would a plain-jane 4.8/4AT work ok? They tended to have tall rear gearing I think, but probably are going to eek out better mpg than the older 4.3's would. Around town I have to think deeper gearing is going to be helpful though, even if it hurts highway mpg; but on a 2WD gearing changes isn't too big of a deal.

Just toying with the idea of an old manual transmission 2WD work truck truck. Non-towing. I generally can tell if the transmission has been abused... perhaps a bit better, on the manual, than on an automatic. A friend / contractor I visited the other day had an old GM with 4.3 and 5 speed. I don't think he does much highway work with it... and he said it is good on gas. Just a 2WD longbox V6 4.3 5 speed.

I guess I can go back to 2006, or 2007 to find one.

I like the idea of the manual, as (provided it has been shifted reasonably / sympathetically) it likely will not crater like an automatic will. Simple clutch job / TOB change / pilot bearing change would do it...

I hate the sound of a 4.3... but if fitted with the quietest muffler I can find... I suppose it'd be OK.

I do recognize that they are good engines, though.

Does anyone know if the lifters can be removed without the heads coming off? I imagine that they may not pull, easily... but are the holes in the cylinder heads big enough to allow withdrawl?

Thanks to all re your comments, suggestions.

The last 4.3 I had was a 2005 4WD GMC with an auto … drove it from new to 80k trouble free and traded for V8 = better towing. I remember the amazing space between the electric fans and the front of the engine … everything under that hood was easy to reach. BIL put 400k on the same auto. Change fluids at 50k and they can keep on trucking

Yes, The liters can come out without pulling the heads. The 4.3L is a Gen 1 5.7L with 2 cylinders removed (With offset rod journals & a balance shaft).

I would say a GMT900 4.8L VVT with a 4L60E is a more efficient combination than a 4.3L/NV3500.

For as much as I dis the 4L60 as being fragile, it does seem that some of them can go to crazy miles with little service. And when they go... they can be quite cheap to replace. Not sure if a manual trans will be as cheap to R&R if something goes--same price to drop and install, I'm sure, but in terms of replace, I'm not so sure.

I would like the simplicity of the 2WD for 9 months of the year. But if I needed to drive in winter... sure is nice to flip a switch and not be stuck. Heck I've had to flip the switch in summer on grass! doesn't even have to be wet for an unloaded RWD truck to get stuck. But I totally get the appeal of a simple 2WD truck.

For as much as I dis the 4L60 as being fragile, it does seem that some of them can go to crazy miles with little service. And when they go... they can be quite cheap to replace. Not sure if a manual trans will be as cheap to R&R if something goes--same price to drop and install, I'm sure, but in terms of replace, I'm not so sure.

I would like the simplicity of the 2WD for 9 months of the year. But if I needed to drive in winter... sure is nice to flip a switch and not be stuck. Heck I've had to flip the switch in summer on grass! doesn't even have to be wet for an unloaded RWD truck to get stuck. But I totally get the appeal of a simple 2WD truck.

I agree...

The 4L60E will always & forever have a bad reputation! When in fact by the end of it's production run (2013).....It was as durable as any transmission, Just a low tech 4 speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back