EA888 Passat 2.0T Budack. Ok to delete engine cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
I do so on most of my vehicles. The previous KIA Sportage cover wasn't attached to anything vital and was only used during oil changes as it secured the funnel. The Passat's cover is even less useful as the dipstick and fill hole aren't even associated with the cover.

Is this cover only aesthetics?

If it's anything like the one on my Tiguan, it must be removed to change the oil filter. I suppose that it's there to reduce some engine noise. I don't know how much it really helps. The Budack Cycle engine sounds like a small diesel tractor engine on startup and is noisier than many other 4 cylinder turbos. I'm going to leave mine on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MParr
If it's anything like the one on my Tiguan, it must be removed to change the oil filter. I suppose that it's there to reduce some engine noise. I don't know how much it really helps. The Budack Cycle engine sounds like a small diesel tractor engine on startup and is noisier than many other 4 cylinder turbos. I'm going to leave mine on.

Agreed on every count but most covers have some kind of insulation to help absorb noise. This one has very very little. And you're correct, the cover must be removed to access the oil filter. Iirc, the 1.4T has none.

I left mine on my EA888 because it appeared to reroute air in a specific route over the engine. It also had insulation to quiet the DI clatter.

As a general rule, engine covers are used or not on the very same engine, depending on application. If it's in your way, it's probably safe to delete it. I doubt you will notice any noise difference.

I take mine off of all my cars, lets heat out for the ignition coils on the gassers, and on the GL its a hot V so more airflow over the turbo.

Maybe keeps water splash from driving in the rain froms oaking the coilpacks and injector elecrical connexions.

IDK. I hate the cheap looking ugly things too. After fast drive on the highway I would park at work with the hood open.

People always asked an made fun of me.

I replied, OK. dont do it and just shorten the life of your vulnerable underhood components by 75%

It lets tonnes of heat out fast.

I don't think my new 1.4tsi has a factory cover !

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

I replied, OK. dont do it and just shorten the life of your vulnerable underhood components by 75%

Holy cow, 75%? So if my old Sienna dies today, I could have gone 1.3 million miles (or whatever it is) instead?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Holy cow, 75%? So if my old Sienna dies today, I could have gone 1.3 million miles (or whatever it is) instead?

Can you Tell me that there was never any components replaced underhood? That baking in 200_+ degree heat and oxygen do not age plastics and rubber?

Plus I drive at extralegal speed when i commuted, drift around the business park and shut that car off red hot.

Not something you would do in your ancient Sienna.

And 97% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Ask any politician
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back