High Mileage Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone using the Mobil 1 5w30 high mileage synthetic oil, The label says it can go up to 10,000 miles before the next oil change?

A181C186-556F-484C-97AA-287376B98A39.png

I have been using the 10w-30 flavor in two vehicles for quite a few years.

I do 7.500 mile changes (doing one later this week); and it could likely go longer and others do that. The highest mileage vehicle I have with it is at 315k and the engine runs great (japanese built lexus, though.
wink.gif
). It has been on it for the last 160~180k miles.

I would say the 10,000 miles is very dependant on how you drive. Longer drives with the oil warmed up each trip, sure. Short trips and a DI engine, no way i'd go more than 4k.

Last edited:
I've got a couple 5qt jugs I picked up on rebates this past summer. Is it the "best", dunno.. that's probably a subjective thing (don't they all make that claim?...‚) but it's certainly a proven HiMi lube. As for 10k.. guess that's up to you but for my HiMi engine I keep the oci to 5k max and it's working for me. Knock on wood..

Last edited:
If your fuel, cooling, and overall integrity of the engine is sound 10K OCI's should be doable. Of course this is considering you are getting the engine up to operating temperature most of the time.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Good stuff. I follow the the car's service schedule.

This ^^^^

Originally Posted by charmer37
The label says it can go up to 10,000 miles before the next oil change?

Umm, High Mileage doesn't mean you can drive it a high number of miles between changes. It means it has additives that help reduce oil leaks in cars with high mileage.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Umm, High Mileage doesn't mean you can drive it a high number of miles between changes. It means it has additives that help reduce oil leaks in cars with high mileage.

Yep what Atikovi said.

Originally Posted by Jimkobb
Originally Posted by atikovi

Yep what Atikovi said.

Nope depends on application.

Mobil 1 HM use to be top on here . Because of the add pack . I don't know if peoples here change their mind or not . But max life and Mobil 1 hm was the king of hm oils here

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I know the add pack got watered down via analyses some years back.

Dam really ? When it first came out . It contains a lot of zinc

Originally Posted by MetalSlug

Dam really ? When it first came out . It contains a lot of zinc

That's when Mobil-1 had only one label. Now count all the different labels and some formulas are stronger than others. Yesterday's Mobil-1 Vanilla is today's Mobil-1 EP.

I understand that all varieties of Mobil 1 "vanilla" are rated for 10k-mile OCI but only where this interval is indicated by the manufacturer
laugh.gif

Yes M1 HM use to have elevated levels of ZDDP, now it has the regular ILSAC amount.

It was a sleeper performance oil back then, thicker and with more zinc, now it's just thicker- but still a good oil.

I like M1 10W30 HM as it's rated both SN-Plus and Euro A3/B3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back