Transfer Case Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by tcp71
If it has the 4wd auto option avoid Mercon V. The clutches have a tendency to break down over time with Mercon V. Anything, including mercon LV is fine otherwise. My 2016 has redline D4 in the transfer case.

This model requires
Transfer case fluid not Mercon LV

DO you know understand that just about any Low Viscosity (LV) ATF will function in that transfer case?

DO you know understand 🤔🤔🤔🤔
Apparently a few on here did understand my opening question. Didn't ask about LV fluid I ask if anybody knew of another good transfer case fluid besides MC or Valvoline because that's what's printed in the owners manual OK???

Your question was:
Anybody know of a good transfer case fluid ?

As far as Ford is concerned, the original transfer case fluid XL-12 has been replaced by an LV ATF called "Mercon LV" as many have shown:

Originally Posted by BlakeB
Transfer case fluid (XL-12) was discontinued. Mercon LV is recommended now. You could also use Valvoline Transfer Case Fluid. Maxlife ATF would also be fine, I'm pretty sure it's the same thing as the "transfer case fluid", the spec sheets match anyways. Maxlife is recommended for Mercon LV applications..

Or you can try a non-Ford product such as Valvoline's Multi-Vehicle Transfer case fluid which is also a LV fluid:

Valvoline Multi-Vehicle TC Fluid

The point to understand is: The TC Fluid XL-12 has been replaced (no longer manufactured) and is now replaced by a low viscosity ATF called Mercon LV. Any low viscosity TC fluid or ATF can be used in place of the speced XL-12.

Last edited:
I have a 02 f350 ford super duty 7.3 4x4 6 speed just seen they changed the specs again what to put in it, last time i changed it i put amsoil signature atf put it in everything transfer case, transmission, power steering.A local amsoil dealer was going out of business and had a good deal on it thats what they recommended then.
Now they are saying to use mercon lv in the transfer case should i drain what I have in there been in there for about 4 years and haven't had any problems with it.
What brand do you guys recommend? Amsoil site now says to use there fuel efficient atf.Thanks

Here you go.

CADF4798-3698-4EA5-AC94-2655FFDE679C.jpeg

4E05497A-8598-4D96-9288-F194D4CDE637.jpeg

like modern medicine, changing "specs" sells more drugs!! vehicle lube recommended lubes change for similar reasons but usually to get that 1/4 more mpg even if it wears things faster. once warranties are gone its your $$$$! at least you change yours as many owners do NOT!!

Valvoline makes a specific Mulit-Vehicle Transfer Case Fluid that is Ford XL-12 approved. I use that T/C fluid in my Ford 4x4 F 350 Super Duty Truck. Absolutely no issues with drive ability while using this fluid.

Enjoying a warm and sunny Christmas afternoon
Drain and fill rear diff and transfer case.

BD88A2DA-6B31-454F-B1BC-676D670CE821.jpeg

7FDAC403-31FD-4B19-8B92-32C74EBFA7E0.jpeg

D563E0B2-41F9-4DB1-BDF7-B99188A83C40.jpeg

Nice, I'm sure it is a good product. Used to a Sunny Christmas here in Phoenix, but this year it's raining and colder then my wife's hometown in Iowa!

What a contradiction. First you were set to use the recommended fluid and were correctly told to use MERCON LV because this is the new correct recommendation from the OEM. You did not want to use an LV ATF because it was not the recommendation in the obsolete owners manual and you wanted to follow the OEM. You were provided the documentation from the OEM which MERCON LV is the correct fluid.

So of course you go and buy something which has no OEM recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back