Ravenol RUP 5w40 BMW LL04

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have ordered some of this oil for my next oc. I have a Bmw V8, N63TU 4.4L 449HP tuned to approx 560HP and asking for LL04 oil here in Norway.
It has HTHS of 3.9 and viscocity at 100ºC/212ºF of 14.3mm²/s and noack is 6%. A little thicker and a little higher HTHS than the oem 0w30 Bmw oil i`m using right now. Not sure what noack is for the oem bmw 0w30 oil but these engines use some oil when running with 0w30 oem so it will be exciting to see if it will be different with this oil.

https://www.ravenol.de/en/pdf/ravenol-rup-sae-5w-40.pdf

the advertisement states: "takes advantage of the positive properties of tungsten/wolfram additive that the surface structure in the engine smoothes considerably, thereby reducing friction and wear and significantly improving mechanical efficiency"
Is tungsten/wolfram anyway similar to the Liqui Moly Ceratech? I read Ceratech was developed for aircrafts to avoid seized engines if they lost the lubrication for a second.

Thanx
Bjornar

Last edited:
The name Wolfram which intrigued me is simply Tungsten.

From the Swedish words tung sten, which mean "heavy stone." Tungsten's chemical symbol comes from its earlier, Germanic name, Wolfram. The name Wolfram comes from the mineral wolframite, in which it was discovered. Wolframite means "the devourer of tin" since the mineral interferes with the smelting of tin.

Tungsten disulphide WS2 is an antifriction additive
https://www.techenomics.net/2016/09/want-boost-engine-oil-performance/

"The shape of the particles allows them to roll between the metal surfaces of engines, components and hydraulic equipment, reducing friction by up to 30%."

Originally Posted by sdowney717
The name Wolfram which intrigued me is simply Tungsten.

From the Swedish words tung sten, which mean "heavy stone." Tungsten's chemical symbol comes from its earlier, Germanic name, Wolfram. The name Wolfram comes from the mineral wolframite, in which it was discovered. Wolframite means "the devourer of tin" since the mineral interferes with the smelting of tin.

Tungsten disulphide WS2 is an antifriction additive
https://www.techenomics.net/2016/09/want-boost-engine-oil-performance/

"The shape of the particles allows them to roll between the metal surfaces of engines, components and hydraulic equipment, reducing friction by up to 30%."

Thanks for your clearifying post.

Bjornar

Ive been running it in my A4 for the last couple oci. Cant notice any differences btwn it and the 0w-40 Castrol or Mobil1 I've also used in this car. I've never seen any oil consumption in this engine and the history in my obdeleven app indicates the oil level has never went below 98% full.
To be honest I didn't think it was a 504 oil, I thought it's a 502 but it doesn't matter to me as under hood sticker indicates to use either one.

Last edited:
The Ravenol RUP is sold as a 5w40 oil, in the ASTM D5293 cold test the number is 4510 mPa*s at -30°C wich is far below the requirements for being a 5w oil, the requirements is 6600 mPa*s at -30°C. they dont tell the numbers at -35°C so its hard to tell if it could have been a 0W oil. You guys think it changes dramatically from -30°C to -35°C so i failed the 0W test or did Ravenol just wanted to sell it as a 5w oil?
The requirements for 0w is 6200 mPa*s at -35°C so considering that the viscosity at -30°C er 4510 mPa*s does it seem likely that it could have passed the 0w test at -35°C?

Originally Posted by 750IX
The Ravenol RUP is sold as a 5w40 oil, in the ASTM D5293 cold test the number is 4510 mPa*s at -30°C wich is far below the requirements for being a 5w oil, the requirements is 6600 mPa*s at -30°C. they dont tell the numbers at -35°C so its hard to tell if it could have been a 0W oil. You guys think it changes dramatically from -30°C to -35°C so i failed the 0W test or did Ravenol just wanted to sell it as a 5w oil?
The requirements for 0w is 6200 mPa*s at -35°C so considering that the viscosity at -30°C er 4510 mPa*s does it seem likely that it could have passed the 0w test at -35°C?

It does appear to be API licensed so it should be as listed unless they are making it up.

Originally Posted by kschachn
It does appear to be API licensed so it should be as listed unless they are making it up.

They were caught making things up in past more than once. Hopefully, those were aberrations, but the aftertaste from litigation is still strong enough for me to avoid this brand.

Originally Posted by Y_K

They were caught making things up in past more than once. Hopefully, those were aberrations, but the aftertaste from litigation is still strong enough for me to avoid this brand.

Really, were there aberrations from the specified specification in question? Was it suspected that they did it intentionally since you talk about litigation? Is there any place I can read about this?
It is listed with LL04 in Bmw`s manuals and technical data so i?m not afraid to use it but if its to good to be true....... I will send them a mail and ask why its not a 0w40 oil

Thanks
Bjornar

Last edited:

CCS and MRV tend to halve/double with every increase/decrease of 5C, so your 4,410 would end up being around 8,800 at -35C, a hard fail for the 0w-xx designation.

Multigrade lubricants are required to carry the lowest Winter rating they qualify for, so a 0w-xx can't be labelled as a 5w-xx.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

CCS and MRV tend to halve/double with every increase/decrease of 5C, so your 4,410 would end up being around 8,800 at -35C, a hard fail for the 0w-xx designation.

Multigrade lubricants are required to carry the lowest Winter rating they qualify for, so a 0w-xx can't be labelled as a 5w-xx.

Aha that explain why its not a 0W oil,
thanks

Bjornar

thanks

And I'm going to guess that in Norway it won't make a lot of difference whether it is a 5W or a 0W winter rating unless you're getting some record low temperatures? You don't get a lot of -40 weather, do you?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

thanks

And I'm going to guess that in Norway it won't make a bit of difference.

Thats correct, the coldest we see where i live its like 10°F ish, they may get -40 up in the north on the border with Russia and Finland but that is not normal there either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back