2004 Camry Solara, 48,000 miles. Considering Redline Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you read that correctly. Vehicle is a 2004 Solara 2.4 with oil change records every 3,000 miles since new

It's had conventional oil it's whole life. The car runs like new. Has no leaks. I know that Redline is absolutely not necessary. But I am an oil nerd and would be geeked out about any increased smoothness mpg or power gains. Oil change interval will be about once per year, 5w-30. Only about 5-6000 miles a year.

Any reason (besides an extra $15 a year) not to?

Originally Posted by zfasts03
Do it! I geek out with AMSOIL in the cars I care about.

Amsoil vs Redline. Which is more bada$$?

Last edited:
Both are great, slightly different purposes. I have run Redline 1x. Ran great. Like it also.

Redline probably better protection for higher heat as in turbo cars, high RPM use, etc. More of a race breed oil company that makes a great street oil as well with high end ingredients like ester base components. I do a lot of short trips where the crankcase collects moisture. Ester base oils apparently don't handle moisture as well.

Amsoil probably better for daily drivers looking to maximize oil change intervals while also keeping internals clean, wear low and also achieve maximum fuel economy.

There are other cool oils to geek out about as well that I haven't tried. Ravenol, Motul, Driven, etc.

There is a place for high end oils like Amsoil and Redline like in problematic high end turbo motors or ones that have been modded out. However, when talking about a Toyota 4 cylinder you dont need it. Just go into Walmart...all their oils on the shelves are about $24 for 5 quarts...and pick your favorite one. I would get the Valvoline Full Synthetic Maxlife and dont look back.

The Toyota 4 cylinder isnt exactly a performance engine or one you can squeeze a lot of extra power out of. Its built for mpg and reliability not performance. You wont get any extra performance with Redline out of this motor.

BTW, Im not certain but I believe back then these engines had a sludge problem so I would go with more frequent oil changes...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Clubber_Lang
But I am an oil nerd and would be geeked out about any increased smoothness mpg or power gains.

Seriously? Oil, just because it comes in a cooler looking bottle will do all that for you? Going to have to buy me a bottle each of Motul, Total, Liqui Moly, Ravenol and Rowe and turn my car into one that feels like a Rolls Royce, sips gas like a Civic and drives like a new Corvette.

Yeah, you read that correctly. Vehicle is a 2004 Solara 2.4 with oil change records every 3,000 miles since new

It's had conventional oil it's whole life. The car runs like new. Has no leaks. I know that Redline is absolutely not necessary. But I am an oil nerd and would be geeked out about any increased smoothness mpg or power gains. Oil change interval will be about once per year, 5w-30. Only about 5-6000 miles a year.

You might get some oil leaks from the ester in Redline. I would almost expect them after a lifetime of dino.

using that little oil. pour in whatever make you feel better, that little motor will run forever on whatever you put in it.

Originally Posted by Navi
There is a place for high end oils like Amsoil and Redline like in problematic high end turbo motors or ones that have been modded out. However, when talking about a Toyota 4 cylinder you dont need it. Just go into Walmart...all their oils on the shelves are about $24 for 5 quarts...and pick your favorite one. I would get the Valvoline Full Synthetic Maxlife and dont look back.

The Toyota 4 cylinder isnt exactly a performance engine or one you can squeeze a lot of extra power out of. Its built for mpg and reliability not performance. You wont get any extra performance with Redline out of this motor.

BTW, Im not certain but I believe back then these engines had a sludge problem so I would go with more frequent oil changes...

Got my Castrol Magnetic from WM the other day $13.10 for a 5 quart Jug and free shipping.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Satisfy your curiosity. You won't notice any difference in the long run. Phillips 66 does make good oil.

Spot on.

I think you're referring to the V6, a few of which had a sludge formation problem. I don't recall that being a problem with the 4 cylinder engines.

I had a 2000 V6 Solara SE (5 speed manual). Because of the risk of sludging I always used synthetic oil and avoided long change intervals.

Originally Posted by ecotourist

I think you're referring to the V6, a few of which had a sludge formation problem. I don't recall that being a problem with the 4 cylinder engines.

I had a 2000 V6 Solara SE (5 speed manual). Because of the risk of sludging I always used synthetic oil and avoided long change intervals.

Yeah, as stated in original post this is a 2.4 4banger, but it does have a 5peed manual. Im getting ready to swap in Redline GL-4 gear oil, which is what got me reading about Redline group V synthetic motor oil.

My buddy and my BIL both put on >250K miles each, on an '04 Camry LE 2.4L using only VWB, PYB, QSGB, or just about anything 5W30 dino @ 6K mile OCIs and neither engine burned a drop.

Why change a good thing? Looking for a surprise? lol
iirc, red line runs thicker so there may not be any increased mpg or power gain.

Dont be stupid, you have to understand that we use GASKETS to seal when two components are fixed together, and it is a damaged gasket that allows fluids to leak.
The basestock/blend/add. pack has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with leaks, leaks are ENTIRLEY based upon gasket integrity.
Understand?

Originally Posted by maxdustington

You might get some oil leaks from the ester in Redline. I would almost expect them after a lifetime of dino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back