Looking for a reliable, fuel efficient car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, was looking for a recommendation for a car. I put at least 3,000 miles a month on the car I'm driving now going to national forests, national parks, little towns...just exploring, hiking, fishing, things like that.

I'm looking for a car with the following features:

-At least 35 mpg highway, and higher would be GREATLY appreciated. This is the highest priority.

-Have a known track record of dependability and reliability.

-Be easy to work on/repair. I'm often in the middle of nowhere, and to be able to at least repair it enough to limp it into town is critical.

-Not have dealer only/online parts. Would definitely want to be able to source parts from AutoZone/Napa...(see above point)

-Would prefer a hatchback or wagon, but it's not critical.

I'm budgeting 10 thousand, but if I can pay less, I wouldn't complain at all. I'm not concerned about looks or extra features, just looking for the best vehicle for the application.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post. Hope everyone has a great holiday season!

Hmmm.... price vs. mpg puts you in Prius V territory. Planned use vs price puts you in used subaru outback territory.

Also consider a 2013-14 cx5 with the 2.0L and awd.

Last edited:
I'd be thinking Toyota Corolla, but I'm sure others will chime in. My 1st gen xB has been really good, but most of them are getting really old & long in the tooth now (last built in '06), & it's never gotten 35 MPG highway due to very low gearing. A Yaris wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Subcompact? Compact? Midsize?

I like the suggestion of a Mazda with the 2.0. Those get excellent fuel economy.

A Toyota Corolla could be another good selection.

The vehicle that's currently filling this role is a Subaru legacy. I'm very seriously considering trading this for a new vehicle because of the above points (Max 32 mpg, problems sourcing parts for repairs, etc.) I haven't run into an issue yet where I felt the awd was necessary ( if that helps with the recommendations). I will definitely look into the Prius and cx5, those weren't on my radar. Thanks!

Last edited:
In regards to size, I'm completely impartial. I can work with just about any size. Thanks for all the great recommendations! This is really helpful! Any other recommendations, please feel free to drop them off!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MoPowa
I'm often in the middle of nowhere, and to be able to at least repair it enough to limp it into town is critical.
There are several vehicles that will meet your other requirements, but this particular requirement is going to be problematic on today's vehicles. When they break down there isn't very much you can do on modern vehicles in the field to get them to limp home. The best you can really do is to purchase a vehicle with known history of very high reliability, and then do fastidious maintenance on it to help prevent it from breaking down in the first place.
Also, there aren't really any CUVs on the market in your price range that will achieve your 35mpg requirement. Even the reliable Corolla based Matrix is not going to hit 35mpg. The Prius V would meet your economy and reliability requirements, but they are not particularly easy or inexpensive to work on if you do have problems with it, many parts are dealer only, and finding a good one in your price range is going to be problematic because the people that have them are not getting rid of them. Inexpensive wagons are all but gone (Subaru being the lone holdout). What you are left with is a hatchback car and most of them are in the subcompact size class.

Last edited:
The vehicle that's currently filling this role is a Subaru legacy. I'm very seriously considering trading this for a new vehicle because of the above points (Max 32 mpg, problems sourcing parts for repairs, etc.) I haven't run into an issue yet where I felt the awd was necessary ( if that helps with the recommendations). I will definitely look into the Prius and cx5, those weren't on my radar. Thanks!

The CX5 gets pretty good fuel economy but it might not get 35mpg. I've gotten that with mine during summer highway driving but 32-33 is normal for some parts of the year. The CX3 would have the 2.0 and that gets closer to 40mpg. That's a hatchback too which you mentioned as a preference.

That's why I bought my Tercel: 20th century Toyota + nothing to go wrong. It doesn't even have ABS, or a front sway bar.

I dropped my Scangauge and broke it, else I would have a real MPG figure. A $40 CAD tank of gas lasts like two weeks of city commuting + errands.

I put new struts on it and it looks like a 4x4, combining that with a 2000lb curb weight and 155/55/R13s make it awesome in the snow, even with junk tires. I think it would be OK on a muddy dirt road.

I think you probably want something more refined for 10k, but if MPG is top priority that's what I would suggest. Buying gas is an afterthought for me now.

-Be easy to work on/repair. I'm often in the middle of nowhere, and to be able to at least repair it enough to limp it into town is critical.

-Not have dealer only/online parts. Would definitely want to be able to source parts from AutoZone/Napa...(see above point)

The days of being able to source "most" parts from an AZ/NAPA are long gone. Modern cars have a lot of dealer only parts.

The CX5s aren't going get 35 easily, and a good used one for under 10,000 would be tough. A CX3 will just maybe get there. A Mazda 3 will do it, my daughter has one and does what you plan to do frequently.

Subarus are a definite no, I've had several, too many chronic issues, especially in the sub $10,000 range. Great cars when they don't need costly repairs. They won't hit 35 mpg.

Corollas and Civics tend to hit the mileage, cost, reliability and simplicity requirements.

These smaller cars are ok to drive, but don't expect quiet comfort for long days of cruising.

A 9th gen Accord fits perfect
smile.gif

35 mpg highway, lots of room, low operating costs, very reliable, indirect TPMS (no need to buy expensive sensors every time you need tires)

You could also get a Fit or Yaris, if they have enough room for your needs.

Originally Posted by The Critic

The days of being able to source "most" parts from an AZ/NAPA are long gone. Modern cars have a lot of dealer only parts.

+1. you can get most parts like Rads, Brakes, filters etc easily without the dealer. Some of the parts like bolts fasteners etc are dealer only options, but how often will you need those?

How long are you going to run this car for? I would look for a cheap Toyota or Honda in stick if that's ok for you. I had a 94 Accord that I drove back and forth to Connecticut for 32 months putting around 30K miles a year on it. It didn't get 34 MPG, but it was reliable and didn't cost much to keep on the road.

You can get a smaller car that will get better fuel economy such as a Yaris or Honda Fit.

Last edited:
you say trading for a new vehicle but $10000 limit?

The new 2020 elantra "value edition" was under 16k with
sunroof
heated seats
emergency braking
blind spot
alloy wheels
etc.

comes with a 2.0L PORT INJECTED(non-turbo,non-gdi) atkinson cycle engine.

With oem tires I was getting 42+ mpg, winter weather and winter tires mid to high 30's

Hello all, was looking for a recommendation for a car. I put at least 3,000 miles a month on the car I'm driving now going to national forests, national parks, little towns...just exploring, hiking, fishing, things like that.

I'm looking for a car with the following features:

-At least 35 mpg highway, and higher would be GREATLY appreciated. This is the highest priority.

-Have a known track record of dependability and reliability.

-Would prefer a hatchback or wagon, but it's not critical.

I'm budgeting 10 thousand, but if I can pay less, I wouldn't complain at all. I'm not concerned about looks or extra features, just looking for the best vehicle for the application.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post. Hope everyone has a great holiday season!

Subaru if
you need 4WD or Camry if only 2 WD. They do make a Camry wagon (or they did).

Subaru has an Outback or Forester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back