Interesting But Long YouTube Video on the MG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheesh, that's an old documentary.
Was probably made sometime last century!
shocked2.gif

I grew up with a 65 TR-4 in my driveway, it became my first car.

What a POS, but anywhere you stopped there was a young girl wanting to go for a ride! Taught me a lot about fixing my own ride, it was constantly broken.

Alas it was stolen and cut up...

I have had many MG's over the years. Loved them all. Easy to work on and never had a problem getting parts I needed.

My wife still has her '76 Midget. It's fun to drive in more rural lower speed settings as 70mph is a bit high in the revs for that 3 main bearing 4 banger.

Thanks for posting. Great video from the height of their popularity. MG were rather innovative in their day, but just didn't have the capital to remain competitive in light of increasing regulation and competition, especially the Japanese. The 240z was really the beginning of the end.

MG's are actually reliable if maintained properly, but they do require regular attention. The later ones with emissions add-ons can be a challenge though....one of only two tows i've had in the last 30 years was a late MGB when an obscure emissions fitting fell off.

My Midget was one of the most fun cars I ever had.

Most recent one:
[Linked Image]

I have always loved the "Rostyle" wheels with trim rings. These used to be popular, in their own respective styles, even for domestic cars.

I have always wondered if a jacked-up / rubber bumper MGB could be converted back to a chrome bumper car... lowered to the stock chrome-bumper car ride-height, as well, of course. Then fit-up with twin carbs per the original car. Does anyone know if this is possible / viable, or when they went to the big (ugly) bumpers... did they make irreversible or well-nigh irreversible changes?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this-it certainly was an enjoyable watch!

Don Hayter BTW is still alive-several of my MG owner friends have met him recently. He's about 6'6" tall, which is why-once you wedge yourself in-even a tall guy can drive an MGB comfortably.

My own pride and joy-my 1970(one year only split rear bumper)

[Linked Image]

I have always wondered if a jacked-up / rubber bumper MGB could be converted back to a chrome bumper car... lowered to the stock chrome-bumper car ride-height, as well, of course. Then fit-up with twin carbs per the original car. Does anyone know if this is possible / viable, or when they went to the big (ugly) bumpers... did they make irreversible or well-nigh irreversible changes?

I've seen a fair few of them done, and a local shop here does one or two a year. It's not 100% straight-forward to attach the bumpers in the first place and have it look right. Among other things, there's a "lip" under the tail lights that has to be constructed from scratch, and the front end needs some added sheet metal to fill in holes. It's doable, but not a plug and play operation. The reason my local shop does it is because a lot of customers come in wanting the nicer '77 and later interior but the aesthetics of chrome bumpers. He also does a decent number of engine swaps, and 73 and later had the body tub designed for a V8 from the get go so a Rover V8 is mostly drop in and a lot of other popular swaps(these days 5L Windors are getting more popular, and the 3800 V6 is also a favorite) are somewhat easier too on the later bodies.

He does sometimes lower them the earlier ride height, which again is more involved than you might think. I think the biggest obstacle is that(IIRC) you have to replace the entire front crossmember with a CB era one(I think the rear end is a bit easier and maybe just needs earlier leaf springs). Truth be told, he doesn't actually lower very many even though he can/has done it-many of his customers for these cars are 70+ and find that getting in and out is a bit easier with the car sitting a bit higher. The earlier RBs, particularly '75s, handled terribly, but by 77 or so they had added enough swap bars and other odds and ends back that the handling is actually CLOSE to early cars.

Of course, if sticking with a stock 4 cylinder, there's a lot you can do to bring back the performance on later cars, which took a hit in '73 when compression dropped to 8.0:1(from 8.8:1) and an even bigger hit in '76 when they went to a single Z-S carburetor with a catalytic converter. The single carburetor in and of itself isn't bad, but the catalytic converter exhaust manifold was a TERRIBLE design that flowed all 3 exhaust ports into a single "log" and then made a sharp 180º turn down to the cat. Many folks will either combine a Weber DGV with headers or an earlier "double Y" exhaust manifold, or will go all the way back to twin SUs. The latter gets a bit complicated because the brake booster used on '75 and later cars gets in the way of many air filter designs on the rear carb. An intermediate solution is actually to use a Marina manifold-which has the desirable double Y exhaust section paired with a "log" intake designed for a 1.75" sidedraft carb-Marinas used an SU HIF-6, but the ZS-175 on the late MGBs bolts on also.

THANKS! i always liked them as well as Triumphs + Austin Healey my fav! i will watch it later. the nice ones still out there are not so cheap, especially the Healeys + the 100-4 is my fave but !!!! they are simple cars as are anything older with some KITS offered but these too are $$$$. love the look of an older ride with modern handling + brakes as well as higher power, BUT again $$$$ not in my budget!

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
I have always loved the "Rostyle" wheels with trim rings. These used to be popular, in their own respective styles, even for domestic cars.

The bumpers are commonly done; the bumpers, rear lip, signals and front apron are relatively easy to convert and there are a few ways to lower the suspension, some more involved (and better) than others. Many flavors of carb kits are available.

I actually like the rubber bumpers and have lowered a rubber bumper car while keeping them. The rubber bumpers are much more practical for regular use and the late MGB's aren't really worth enough to not be drivers, but they are great Summer daily drivers.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels

I actually like the rubber bumpers and have lowered a rubber bumper car while keeping them. The rubber bumpers are much more practical for regular use and the late MGB's aren't really worth enough to not be drivers, but they are great Summer daily drivers.

Agreed that there's a practical side of the RB that's often overlooked.

As much as many people like to hate on them, the design of the front in particular was somewhat "forward thinking" with integrating the grill and bumper into one piece and IMO it's one of the better 5mph bumper designs of the era(many folks over look the fact that all American cars of this era had them in some form or fashion).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back