Extended warranties are a waste of money.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
On average extended warranties are not a good deal. Obviously the insurance company has run the numbers and make sure "on average", they never lose. And I would have to believe the cost for a difficult to fix car is higher than your run of the mill Toyota. So there is really never a time to purchase them. That said, of course if you live paycheck to paycheck and cannot put away the money you would of spent on an extended plan, then maybe you should purchase one.

The other side of the coin is that the people that have extended warranties are probably at higher risk to have problems. Case in point, my brother in law always gets them for his kids laptops. They "drop" one down the stairs....they get a new laptop. I take better care of my things. Do I really want to be in the "pool" of people? No.

Originally Posted by spavel6
Extended warranties are great for high-cost, high-tech vehicles. Not so good if you're driving a Camry or something else that doesn't have as many high priced components.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Spktyr
A relative of mine was dithering about renewing the factory 'extended warranty' on his Mercedes ...and paid the money on the last day. ....

Six weeks later, the in car entertainment system in the center stack, which included the climate controls, navigation, phone controls (mandatory hands-free state) and more, decided it was a good time to die. A couple months after that, the engine's cam position sensors and related harness failed

Total cost covered by the extended warranty in less than six months, $21000.

My boss has a fleet of Mercedes cars. At one point, we were paying $2000 per month in repairs on one vehicle alone. Did that for years! In the end, it would have been smarter and cheaper to simply replace that car with a new one.

I'd never own a high end luxury car without a warranty. There are, unfortunately, a good number of vehicles where an extended warranty is a wise choice.

A relative of mine was dithering about renewing the factory 'extended warranty' on his Mercedes as he didn't want to spend the ~$5K 'on a car that old'. He couldn't imagine that his car would ever incur high repair costs, even though it had had some expensive repairs under warranty and (discounted) extended warranty before. Everyone was telling him he was being an idiot and pointing out surveys and forums saying that it was stupid to own this car without it. He said this couldn't be the case, used many of the arguments against the warranty that people used higher up on this very thread. He almost missed the renewal window and paid the money on the last day. Grudgingly. While complaining loudly and bitterly, and grousing for weeks about the 'unnecessary expense'.

Six weeks later, the in car entertainment system in the center stack, which included the climate controls, navigation, phone controls (mandatory hands-free state) and more, decided it was a good time to die. A couple months after that, the engine's cam position sensors and related harness failed in the middle of a *very* unpopulated area.

Need I say more about how this was a good idea?

An extended warranty on something like a Toyota pickup is probably going to be pointless or at least a poor value proposition - but anything with appreciable levels of complex, expensive technology of unknown or questionable reliability? Yeah, that's a different story. On this particular car, prior to this incident, the extended warranty had eaten $15K worth of costs.

Before deciding whether it's a good or bad idea on a car, go look up common problems with the car and the cost to fix. Even if it's a car you had before and the suspect systems haven't increased in tech level or complexity, it's a good idea. I am going to have to have a GM transmission rebuilt for the second time in about 12 years. The cost to rebuild it last time was $1150, tow in/drive out. Today that rebuild is going to cost about $2800 due to increased labor rates in my area and overall cost. Same parts and same shop, happy with both and the shop isn't ripping me off.

Just because it cost $X to repair something ten years ago doesn't mean that it still costs $X now - it's always a good idea to update your mental database of potential costs.

the bigger question is.....why would you own something that could cost you $21,000 in repair costs. That is pathetic.

I bought a 7 year unlimited mileage "MaxCare" warranty with my Rubicon and have no issues in doing it--these days any major repair is going to seriously dig into your pockets and as others have said, it all about risk.

I also had one on my AMG and the PSD prior to that. I did not use it on the AMG or the PSD so I received 100% of my money back. It is all how you want to gamble and pay--upfront or later.

YMMV!

Originally Posted by AZjeff
One bad cylinder sure sounds like something wasn't right in the engine tune or not. Only 1 reason to have a tune, curious if the OP ran the guts out of it. Glad the warranty worked out for you.

There are many reasons to have a tune...offhand, driveability, transmission shift improvement, mileage. The highest-mileage Hemi I ever saw was tuned with
It's still under powertrain warranty. Two repairs I'd call serious-not serious problems, but the repair would be expensive because it's labor intensive: leaking exhaust manifold gaskets, and a rear main seal.

Originally Posted by philipp10
A relative of mine was dithering about renewing the factory 'extended warranty' on his Mercedes as he didn't want to spend the ~$5K 'on a car that old'. He couldn't imagine that his car would ever incur high repair costs, even though it had had some expensive repairs under warranty and (discounted) extended warranty before. Everyone was telling him he was being an idiot and pointing out surveys and forums saying that it was stupid to own this car without it. He said this couldn't be the case, used many of the arguments against the warranty that people used higher up on this very thread. He almost missed the renewal window and paid the money on the last day. Grudgingly. While complaining loudly and bitterly, and grousing for weeks about the 'unnecessary expense'.

Six weeks later, the in car entertainment system in the center stack, which included the climate controls, navigation, phone controls (mandatory hands-free state) and more, decided it was a good time to die. A couple months after that, the engine's cam position sensors and related harness failed in the middle of a *very* unpopulated area.

Need I say more about how this was a good idea?

An extended warranty on something like a Toyota pickup is probably going to be pointless or at least a poor value proposition - but anything with appreciable levels of complex, expensive technology of unknown or questionable reliability? Yeah, that's a different story. On this particular car, prior to this incident, the extended warranty had eaten $15K worth of costs.

Before deciding whether it's a good or bad idea on a car, go look up common problems with the car and the cost to fix. Even if it's a car you had before and the suspect systems haven't increased in tech level or complexity, it's a good idea. I am going to have to have a GM transmission rebuilt for the second time in about 12 years. The cost to rebuild it last time was $1150, tow in/drive out. Today that rebuild is going to cost about $2800 due to increased labor rates in my area and overall cost. Same parts and same shop, happy with both and the shop isn't ripping me off.

Just because it cost $X to repair something ten years ago doesn't mean that it still costs $X now - it's always a good idea to update your mental database of potential costs.

the bigger question is.....why would you own something that could cost you $21,000 in repair costs. That is pathetic.

There are millions upon millions of vehicles like that on the road. Offhand, EVERY modern diesel is one pint of water away from a 5-figure bill. I'd bet a complete exhaust system on a new diesel truck might touch $10,000. (On my tractor at work, it's almost $15,000.)

"do you feel lucky punk" sums it up!! those buying upity trinket laden vehicles that cost more to repair prolly need one, but more basic ones are cheaper to buy + repair + staying away from the STEALERS overpriced repairs is best!! todays complicated overpriced vehicles are a crap-shoot for sure making a lower priced in all comparable segments KIA or Hyundai with its best in business new car warranty a worthwhile consideration. if you want the toys $$$$ be prepared as the more you spend the more you loose on todays overpriced vehicles!!

One thing I keep seeing in this thread is no warranty needed with a Toyota. This I totally agree on even though I currently don't have one. I've owned many toyotas and have never had one fail me. Same with my parents who always bought new toyotas and when done with them the kids beat them until they was totaled or no longer road worthy. They all still ran great. I'm in the market for one now as a matter of fact.

Extended warranties only make sense under certain limited circumstance. After all, why would they sell them if they could not make money?

1. Your going to beat up the vehicle. I bought a Ford Aerostar van (unreliable) with an 8 yr, unlimited mileage warranty for $1500. After 250,000 miles, it had $8000 in repairs and I had a loaner when it was down. Worked out for me.
2. You are buying a known unreliable brand and will keep it past the warranty
3. You cannot afford a large repair, but could afford a bit extra each month.
4. Your Mom is old and want piece of mind for her car (and zero hassles for you!)
5. You are buying one for other reasons, like support or accidental breakage (Apple care)

It's never worth it for a reliable vehicle (e.g. Toyota, Mazda, Lexus) in normal use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NO2
1. Your going to beat up the vehicle. I bought a Ford Aerostar van (unreliable) with an 8 yr, unlimited mileage warranty for $1500. After 250,000 miles, it had $8000 in repairs and I had a loaner when it was down.

There must be a cap on the amount they pay out over the life of the warranty or for individual repairs. I can't imagine they would pay for a $5,000 engine replacement on a 250,000 mile car worth $3,000.

Originally Posted by NO2
Extended warranties only make sense under certain limited circumstance. After all, why would they sell them if they could not make money?

4. Your Mom is old and want piece of mind for her car (and zero hassles for you!)

I want a RELIABLE car for my mom ... and driving a seven year old whatever with an extended warranty doesn't change the reliability. It might change the cost of ownership, positively if something breaks, negatively if nothing breaks, but not the actual reliability.

Older cars break. People who NEED reliable cars should just replace them early, and not bother with the extended warranty.

Originally Posted by Donald
Insurance is all about risk.

They are betting you will have less repairs than the money you paid them. They also get to invest your money for the period of time you have no repairs. Which may be the period of manufacturers warranty.

You have summarized this very well and you are spot on.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by NO2

I want a RELIABLE car for my mom ... and driving a seven year old whatever with an extended warranty doesn't change the reliability. It might change the cost of ownership, positively if something breaks, negatively if nothing breaks, but not the actual reliability.

Older cars break. People who NEED reliable cars should just replace them early, and not bother with the extended warranty.

This really doesn't make sense. New vehicle's break and when one does the OEM and aftermarket may take weeks for replacement parts.

Originally Posted by Ram02
If you purchase a used car it might be wise to get a extended warranty just to protect your investment

Your spot on
Extended warranty is a must on an unknown used vehicle purchase.
My son bought a used 2014 Ford F-150 about 30 days ago

Turns out the truck needed a front wheel bearing hub
$1000 dollar repair was covered in full
Money well spent on the front end !!ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by NO2

I don't disagree-and have never had car issues because I really don't keep them that terribly long.

However-on this forum buying a beater for $500.00 and driving it for 250,000 to 300,000 miles is considered the "peak of automotive excellence"........

Last edited:
Originally Posted by philipp10

Get a bad (watered/gas contaminated) load of fuel in a 6.7L SuperDuty or Cummins, any diesel with a Bosch CP4 high pressure fuel pump, you're eating $10-20K+ instantly. It's not just ultra-high-end cars that have repair bills like that any more.

https://www.classaction.org/ford-diesel-fuel-pump-problem-lawsuits

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by NO2
1. Your going to beat up the vehicle. I bought a Ford Aerostar van (unreliable) with an 8 yr, unlimited mileage warranty for $1500. After 250,000 miles, it had $8000 in repairs and I had a loaner when it was down.

There must be a cap on the amount they pay out over the life of the warranty or for individual repairs. I can't imagine they would pay for a $5,000 engine replacement on a 250,000 mile car worth $3,000.

They're playing the odds on those 'unlimited' mileage warranties, but there are documented cases where they have done exactly that rather than be in breach of contract - almost none of these warranties include a clause allowing them to replace the vehicle should it be cheaper than the cost of repairs. If you think about it, that actually makes sense - another similar car would be a 'surprise box' as they don't know the history and they would be exposed to liability if it turned out to be a pile of junk.

Originally Posted by R1jake
One thing I keep seeing in this thread is no warranty needed with a Toyota. This I totally agree on even though I currently don't have one. I've owned many toyotas and have never had one fail me. Same with my parents who always bought new toyotas and when done with them the kids beat them until they was totaled or no longer road worthy. They all still ran great. I'm in the market for one now as a matter of fact.

Toyota's had some stinkers too - the variable venturi carbed cars, the early 1ZZ engines with their penchant for oil gelling and sudden horrific oil consumption (to the point of oil starvation on a single tank of gas!), the 3VZ 3.0L V6 that randomly blew headgaskets (which they never really figured out why and had to bandaid with thicker gaskets), the frame rot problems on the Tacomas, the 97 Camries...

And I say the above as a satisfied former Toyota pickup truck (22R) and current 4Runner (5VZ) owner. I like Toyota in general, but they aren't perfect - and neither is anyone else.

The rules for Toyota buying: Don't buy year one of anything they offer, do your research on the earlier years of a model, and NEVER buy any Toyota smaller/lower in the lineup than the then-contemporary Corolla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back