Better filter- Dodge 5.9 Gas

Wix recommends a 51085, but the bigger 51515 fits nicely too. There was a thread going on this topic that I revived, but I got told that's not cool. So, starting a new thread on the same topic. Does the larger 51515 equal greater filter efficiency? Obviously the new XP version of either choice is better than the non-XP, and I'm nearing an OCI so which filter is "better". Or should I avoid Wix altogether and buy a different brand?

Not sure...used WIX XP when I first got the truck...now using Fram Ultra. Sure someone on here can help.

2003 Dodge Durango 5.9

Last edited:
I don't know either never used Wix but I also am using the Fram Ultra on my 2001 1500 5.9. It's convenient because my Jeep uses the same XG2 filter

Shouldn't it be a Fram XG16 or XG8A?

Didn't know I could use a XG2.

My 97 Ram 5.9 is past the point of it mattering what filter I run, because of my rust issues. I have run every filter brand on this over the years at the appropriate interval and never an issue. I mostly cut them apart and never seen any problems.

My mistake was pouring all this oil in the engine over the years... when I should have been pouring it on the frame every other oil change.

You need a 3/4"-16 thread filter, the 51515 or Ultra XG8A will work fine in place of the factory 51085/Fram PH/TG/XG16, as long as it doesn't stick down too far & physically fits on the oil filter mount (diameter should be the same). XG2s have 22mm threads, don't want to mix them up.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
You need a 3/4"-16 thread filter, the 51515 or Ultra XG8A will work fine in place of the factory 51085/Fram PH/TG/XG16, as long as it doesn't stick down too far & physically fits on the oil filter mount (diameter should be the same). XG2s have 22mm threads, don't want to mix them up.

Ok, so of those which is the best quality filter to run? (Length/size is not an issue on my truck)

Fram Ultra offers the longest life and best filtration. If you are ok leaving a filter on for multiple OCIs and 30,000km that's the one.

Wix filters do a good job as do Fram orange can and Tough Guard. If you plan to change filters each oil change up to 15,000km then Wix or TG would be my choice.

Originally Posted by atc250r
Wix recommends a 51085, but the bigger 51515 fits nicely too. There was a thread going on this topic that I revived, but I got told that's not cool. So, starting a new thread on the same topic. Does the larger 51515 equal greater filter efficiency? Obviously the new XP version of either choice is better than the non-XP, and I'm nearing an OCI so which filter is "better". Or should I avoid Wix altogether and buy a different brand?

Going to a larger filter will only increase the oil sump capacity by a tiny amount. And it will hold more contaminants before it becomes clogged. Neither mean a whole lot in an engine given normal maintenance.

You need to worry about the bypass pressure for the filters. The manufacturer determines what they want and specs a filter that is proper. You should be using a filter with a similar bypass filter spec. Then there is the thread size and the diameter of the mounting area where the o-ring is.

Don't use a bigger filter if it is mounted at the bottom
45.gif

And there is nothing wrong with Wix
smile.gif

Originally Posted by zfasts03
Shouldn't it be a Fram XG16 or XG8A?

Didn't know I could use a XG2.

My 97 Ram 5.9 is past the point of it mattering what filter I run, because of my rust issues. I have run every filter brand on this over the years at the appropriate interval and never an issue. I mostly cut them apart and never seen any problems.

Sorry for the hassle my Taurus uses the XG2 I meant the XG16!!
Thank you for the correction!

Since you're talking efficiency, just so you know the XP is not more efficient than the non-XP WIX filters.

Huh, ok. So what is better about the XP?

Full synthetic media, which means longer rated use for longer OCIs.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
45.gif

smile.gif

On the bold, can you explain why?

Also, this truck is driven daily in Canadian winters for only a 5 mile drive to work each day, so I imagine it's in bypass most of the winter (oil doesn't reach operating temp and thin out). I do run Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 in winter.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
45.gif

smile.gif

On the bold, can you explain why?

Also, this truck is driven daily in Canadian winters for only a 5 mile drive to work each day, so I imagine it's in bypass most of the winter (oil doesn't reach operating temp and thin out). I do run Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 in winter.

If you hit something and bottom out, it destroys the filter
15.gif

I doubt the filter is in bypass much unless you're revving the engine pretty high right after a very cold temperature start-up. And you're using 0W-20, so if the oil is warmed up even half way to full operating temperature, as long as you don't go red line with the revs I doubt you'll be into filter bypass.

You could try https://royalpurpledirect.com/royal-purple-filter-30-8a/

The larger filter is actually the original size filter for these engines back in the 60's (?). Over the years, the length decreased for better fitment in various vehicles, but as far as I can tell, all other specs remained the same. I find the larger filters tend to cost less, probably due to sharing commonality with Ford. Cost is a real bonus in addition to any extra capacity, etc. that could be argued worthwhile or not.

Back