Starter vs. Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daily drive died on me although with a jump it fires back again - took it to Autozone and the tech determined it is a starter that is on its way out. It was replaced 12 months ago with a re manufactured unit.

Any ideas why the starter works every time its jumped vs. the battery that is with the vehicle. The battery is little over a yr old.

Next to determine the starter is really out by doing the tap test

Actually the tech determined it wasn't the battery or the alternator - going to another store for them to determine if in-fact its the starter.

The alternator was recently replaced with a Denso re-manufactured unit.

Yes , go some where else . Also , check the battery cable " clamps " and the battery " posts " for corrosion / bad connection / looseness .

FWIW my daughter's RAV had starting problems about a month after replacing the battery. I was out of town so the wife had a mobile mechanic check it out. He determined the battery, posts, connections and cables were all good, and the starter was bad. 23 year old car, I believed him.
I got back into town, ordered a new starter from RA and put it in. Nothing but a click. Went back through and checked relays and fuses. While checking the big fuses near the battery post found the terminal loose. Tightened a wingnut and it started right up.
My mistake was in believing someone else was competent (battery installer and mobile mechanic) and not starting with the simple things first.
The counter guy at Autozone isn't a tech. He's a counter guy. If I were you I wouldn't trust their expertise no matter how many opinions you got. And if it turns out to be the starter, bite the bullet and get a new one from Rock Auto. The quality of rebuilds is all over the map (unless you have a local shop with a good rep do the work).

Have a light on such as the headlights when you try to start. If the whole car loses power you're not getting enough from the battery.

It is common to have a loose battery terminal start working again for a while after putting a jumper cable on. You didn't even need any power from the other car, it's just that you touched the terminal.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
FWIW my daughter's RAV had starting problems about a month after replacing the battery. I was out of town so the wife had a mobile mechanic check it out. He determined the battery, posts, connections and cables were all good, and the starter was bad. 23 year old car, I believed him.
I got back into town, ordered a new starter from RA and put it in. Nothing but a click. Went back through and checked relays and fuses. While checking the big fuses near the battery post found the terminal loose. Tightened a wingnut and it started right up.
My mistake was in believing someone else was competent (battery installer and mobile mechanic) and not starting with the simple things first.
The counter guy at Autozone isn't a tech. He's a counter guy. If I were you I wouldn't trust their expertise no matter how many opinions you got. And if it turns out to be the starter, bite the bullet and get a new one from Rock Auto. The quality of rebuilds is all over the map (unless you have a local shop with a good rep do the work).

I tightened four bolts connecting the battery terminals and it purrs up as always - it was dead last night. As mk378 said the jumper clamps held the loose +ve terminal for it to start... Amazing how some simple things are overlooked.

You guys are the best, no question gets unanswered!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back