Any employed people taking the whole week off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Gebo
If I win lotto, I'm taking a few days off.

If I win the lotto, noone will ever see me again.

Yeah, I'd move so far away it would cost $50 bucks to mail me postcard

Exactly. Far as i can get from society

I wish. Not really allowed to, weekends and major holidays are considered 'critical times' with mandatory attendance.

Now, this is a rule that gets bent into a pretzel most years, but as the front line supervisor I generally try my best to make a good(decent) example for the people I'm responsible for. But I have let the people with families swap their days around with our other night shift to best get them home for their kids.

First Christmas day my shift has had off in 3 years, and the last for another 3 I believe. At least we get paid 8 hours for 24/25ea and time and a half for any time we are on the clock during those two days. Takes the sting out of working holidays a little.

Our last day was friday, but had a funeral, so last day thurs....and we go back on the 6th. With 4 stats and a couple of weekends that's a good break with only a few days of holiday taken.

I could take the whole week off but will just take Christmas eve and Christmas day off most likely

I work 8 days on and have six days off, my work week starts on tuesday and ends on tuesday.

This week I started on tuesday but end on sunday because I took mon and tuesday off, so then I'd be off until next tuesday the 31st but i took off my next tuesday and wednesday.

10 days off for this guy
smile.gif

Working half the week. I had one day left so I'm taking Thursday off, but I'm working Saturday though.

We work today, 12/23 and we work Friday 1/3.
So it's a nice 2 week holiday on the company's dime.
I love it when Christmas falls on a Wednesday.

My PTO this year was started on 12/6/19 and goes through 1/5/20 with several of these days being paid holidays. I did work a half day at the office on 12/9/19 and I'm still carrying my max of 40 PTO hours into 2020. So about 30 days off. We have a "use it or lose it" PTO system, so I'm not complaining!

Visiting with my kids who are far flung around the world but visiting here for the holidays, taking parents (age 90) to doctors, working around the house and totally detailing my car along with all the great Christmas festivities. Yes, I've also "dialed in" an hour or so a day from home to keep up on email and what's been happening back at work but it will be VERY nice to have this many consecutive days off after the year we've had.

Yes, I know I'm very blessed and thankful for it.

Last edited:
I took off until January 2nd for a road trip. Got 1000 miles away from home and I think my motor mount broke on the focus.

Originally Posted by atikovi
With Christmas being on a Wednesday and all.

I am off from Dec 21st to Jan 6th. That's when my employers' school-kids report back to classes.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by opus1
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Gebo
If I win lotto, I'm taking a few days off.

If I win the lotto, noone will ever see me again.

I've already warned coworkers that if I ever win, I'll be a dot on the horizon getting smaller by the second.

Hoping not to work this Christmas, but if I do, that'll be a hat-trick for me since I've worked the last two. For a non-I/T, non-emergency-services, non-mission-critical job on top of it. Already did 13 hours this weekend, plus a 2-hour call with staff who decided not to follow the procedures which have been clearly documented and reviewed ad-nauseum in several group meetings and now needed help to undo the mess created.

The irritating part is that I spent 27 years in various parts of I/T work, including systems software maintenance and working for a software development firm (with the 24x7 support that includes), and I've worked more nights/weekends/holidays in the last three years than I did in my entire I/T career.

Got 36hrs this weekend, scheduled christmas. Ill probably work overtime too, so I can get 1.5x for Christmas.

I spoke too soon...looks like I get my hat-trick this year. Unpaid OT to boot. 1866 days until I can retire...

I work at a busy place that provides professional services where most folks are kept super busy all year long, lots of overtime, not all that many opportunities for vacations and such and it is a very competitive workplace. They close the place down between Xmas and New Years to give the folks a little bit of a break before the super busy new year starts it all up again.

Originally Posted by opus1

I spoke too soon...looks like I get my hat-trick this year. Unpaid OT to boot. 1866 days until I can retire...

I thought OT was .gov mandated unless you're salary? I wouldn't get it if not.

Originally Posted by atikovi
With Christmas being on a Wednesday and all.

Nope.
Took a week off over Thanksgiving for a trip and another ending last Friday to go somewhere warm. Wife and I enjoyed both and she is in a use it or loose it situation.
I can easily take working two four day weeks in succession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back