How much weight can a 2003 Silverado tow? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Towing has a lot of variables. But I'd sure love to see him pull that thing loaded with some real weigh up a 12% grade that was 12 to 15 miles long.

There doesn't even appear to be much tongue weight.

The article claims that the trailer brakes might not have been functional? I find that hard to believe as whoever cobbled that came to the conclusion that they needed that tank as a reservoir. I would like to see how this was done.

The article is wrong. It says 8600lbs. That is an 8 Lug. So at a minimum 10,000 lbs plus I think I see the Duramax emblem.
Now having been an A**hat and said that.
I am dying! LOL I can't believe this is even a thing!

Last edited:
The vehicle also had a rudimentary air braking system installed, but we're not certain it's hooked up to the brakes themselves. This means the truck's brakes may have been stopping the entire weight of the trailer — yikes

The air tank was probably there to supply air to the red (emergency) airline to disengage the parking (spring) brakes. Looking the pics closer it appears to have one airline/gladhand attached to the trailer and not two in a typical tractor/trailer setup.

Last edited:
The truck had no weight on it so easily be able to get it moving. He also had air tank to release the brakes so stopping was by the truck. Dangerous yes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dinoburner
f
From 60 MPH how far to stop this thing in a panic stop say for a school bus or your family? Shur hope this POS wasn`t driven off after stop.

Das why we have DOT checkpoints and weigh stations. But some truck drivers have gotten good in avoiding them. I've carried stuff past GVWR even in a dinky box truck because dispatch don't give a rats okole.

f
From 60 MPH how far to stop this thing in a panic stop say for a school bus or your family? Shur hope this POS wasn`t driven off after stop.

I think he was one hard brake away from disaster to him and anyone else around him. What an idiot..

What I want to know is did they let him drive off with the trailer (can't imagine they'd cite him then allow him to proceed towing) or did a trucking company come out and pick up the trailer?

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
f

I think he was one hard brake away from disaster to him and anyone else around him. What an idiot..

What I want to know is did they let him drive off with the trailer (can't imagine they'd cite him then allow him to proceed towing) or did a trucking company come out and pick up the trailer?

Agreed. That idiot is lucky he didn't kill himself or someone else.

f

LOL True. More often than not, towing a heavy load is not the problem, it's safely stopping that load.

I'm sure lots of people would have been calling the police on him, so he probably didn't get extremely far before they caught him. Definitely not a safe move.

The picture comes out too fuzzy for me to be sure about the 8 lugs on those aftermarket wheels, but on a closer look it does look like the Duramax/Allison logo on the door so it probably is a 3/4 ton. At first it looked exactly like the 05 half ton I drive at work.

Originally Posted by Donald
DId the driver have a CDL. Its needed for the total length of tow vehicle and trailer.

Incorrect. There are to restrictions on length. Only weight and width. If this total weight exceeds 26000 lbs, then the driver would be required to have a CDL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back