Felt pad discs on battery terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do these actually work to prevent corrosion or are they snake oil?

I don't have any battery corrosion problems, but I may replace my battery soon so for the cost I figure "why not"?

Last edited:
It's mostly a thing of the past. Modern charging systems on vehicles combined with better plastics used in battery construction have largely made this much rarer than years ago. Still happens, but not as much anymore.

Originally Posted by jharrison
Do these actually work to prevent corrosion or are they snake oil?

I don't have any battery corrosion problems, but I may replace my battery soon so for the cost I figure "why not"?

Unless you're using a Johnson Controls/Clarios made battery, then I use felt washers, battery protectant, grease on top of the posts, probably Fluid Film all over anywhere beneath it! You would think I'm kidding, but when you have a lot of paint damage underneath one-you'll need all the help you can get.

I've always used the Honda OEM 51R batteries (I don't know who makes them) because they're really not any more expensive from the dealer than an auto-parts store (and the dealer is closer).

I've never had corrosion with them.

Just had to rescue my daughter she had a car that wouldn't start. Cleaned all the corrosion off the battery. Checked the cells they were all down about an 1/8 of an inch off the plates. Fill the cells with distilled water and cleaned the terminals an posts. Put Felt pads over the posts its been starting with no issues now for two weeks. They simply just aren't that much money to worry about and they have historically worked well for me.

If you use AGM batteries you'll never have a corrosion issue.

As for regular batteries, I've seen a lot of old batteries with those felt washer things that are super clean as well as some fairly new batteries with those felt washer things that have tons of corrosion so while they might help, it's not perfect. But they're cheap enough so why not? Although I never use them in my own cars we sell a lot of them at work.

Originally Posted by dogememe

I've been considering an AGM battery, but there's a lot of conflicting information as to whether any particular charging system designed for conventional batteries would work correctly. They're both lead-acid chemistry so I suspect they will.

I've been considering this battery for my Honda: https://www.pepboys.com/bosch-platinum-series-agm-battery-group-size-51r/product/844473

I don't know if it's good, bad, overpriced or whatnot. Pepboys seems to be the only place that carries this battery that I can find, and I can't find Bosch's specs for this battery.

I suspect this battery is originally for a Mini Cooper, but IDK.

Last edited:
I work on cars all the time that have those nasty felt pads hiding under piles of copper and lead sulfate. The problem with the felt pads is that they absorb moisture and ... don't do much of anything else.

When I'm done cleaning a battery, I put petroleum jelly around the bases of the posts, install the cables, and then put a light coating of jelly over all the exposed metal parts. It creates a real barrier to moisture and stops corrosion dead. It's dirt cheap, and has a hundred other uses in the shop.

I've not had much luck with the felt pads. My truck has had battery corrosion issues. Cleaned it all up and it came back again. The hold down bracket was corroded also. I replaced it with an AGM battery and an aluminum hold down bracket to prevent any further corrosion issues.

CRC makes a version of the Permatex product: Battery Terminal Protector #05046.
The stuff I've used from either company have been candy red, green and purple.

I think a big overlooked task is to thoroughly clean the clamps. You gotta turn them upside-down to inspect.
Also, I use a paper cup with baking soda mixture the ensure getting all the crud removed.
You can tear the cup to accommodate the cable and immerse the entire clamp.

A battery installer at a Sears used the stuff. It lasts a long time.

I think the red and green felt washers are a cute under-hood touch but after reading eyeofthetiger's post I'm going to forget all about them.

Originally Posted by jharrison
Originally Posted by dogememe

I've been considering an AGM battery, but there's a lot of conflicting information as to whether any particular charging system designed for conventional batteries would work correctly. They're both lead-acid chemistry so I suspect they will.

I've been considering this battery for my Honda: https://www.pepboys.com/bosch-platinum-series-agm-battery-group-size-51r/product/844473

I don't know if it's good, bad, overpriced or whatnot. Pepboys seems to be the only place that carries this battery that I can find, and I can't find Bosch's specs for this battery.

I suspect this battery is originally for a Mini Cooper, but IDK.

I've run AGM batteries (Super Start Platinum) on vehicles that came with regular batteries and never had a problem. Think about all the people who put Optimas that lived a long happy life in 4x4s until Optimas turned into overpriced trash.

Last edited:
I always put a shot of Krown rustproofing spray on all of my battery terminals and have never had any corrosion, ever.

Originally Posted by cb450sc
I always put a shot of Krown rustproofing spray on all of my battery terminals and have never had any corrosion, ever.

Sure, why not.
I think the consensus is that coating the terminals in something suitable works way better than the pretty little felt pads.

I put Superlube grease on the terminals and I haven't had any problems since. Lots of people use Vaseline. I don't think it's a huge deal what you use as long as you have some protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back