Stick or Automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sites like this is the only place where manuals are sought after.

If they car makers made "sticks" widely available-the "take rate" would still be less than 5%..................

I will take you word for it with the Jeeps-I guess for off-road duties I can see it-but still would never want a Jeep manual.

What surprises me is that some of the automatics these days in small cars suck and people buy the car anyhow. Up-shifting early to eek out fuel economy making the engine feel gutless, the often complained about CVT.. .

Personal choice. I grew up on manuals from a three on the tree to a 10 speed Road Ranger in a semi - made me believe auto trans were a lower form of life. Fast forward to today, I wouldn't give you a nickel for a manual.

Originally Posted by CKN
Sites like this is the only place where manuals are sought after.

If they car makers made "sticks" widely available-the "take rate" would still be less than 5%..................

Maybe true ...

But when Porsche still sells a 911 GT3 with a manual transmission, that tells you something. Sure, the PDK is faster, but driving a manual transmission is about the experience, the connection with the car.

To each his own. Drive what you like.

TJs either had a reasonably reliable 3 speed automatic or a garbage chrysler 4 speed automatic in them. That, and a lot of people really do like like automatic wranglers.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
For street the auto for off road the stick although our ATV is auto and is fine in the woods.

I like having it the opposite. With the exception of going down steep hills, the automatic performs much better off road.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
There will come the day that it will be hard to find a shop that can do a clutch job, might be 10 years, but it will happen. Sad.

And the price will go up too since it will be a "specialized" service.

Originally Posted by discountdon
STICK

for certain vehicles they have a higher resale value

For jeeps, doesn't matter one bit...resale is still one of the best ever for a used car.

My dad had a 2001 Wrangler Sport with a manual. It was fine, but in traffic or off-road I'd want an automatic. I rented a Jeep in Aruba and did some off-roading and couldn't imagine having a manual.

I don't get the whole complaint about traffic WRT to manuals.

People buy manuals because they like to shift, then complain they have to shift *too much* in traffic?

That seems counter-intuitive to me (I like chocolate, but not too much, please)....

Last edited:
I've had my Wrangler(4.0 with 5 speed manual) since 2002; I drove it as my daily for five years. To me a TJ with an automatic is like a Miata with two pedals- it's just wrong.

Depends on the vehicle. I'm not sure I'd like it in my truck that is the size of a house. Small car, could be fun.

I think many people remember back to days when clutches were mechanical linkages using rods and joints where the grease had dried up, with stiff pressure plates, long throws and gutless engines. All the cable actuated clutches I've had were pleasant affairs; the hydraulic ones even moreso. Yes, in bumper to bumper traffic it was a nuisance, but I rarely had problems with that.

True story: had to rent an (Accent? some compact) when my TDi went into the shop overnight. Found my right foot getting tired, if not achy, from having to hold the brake so hard at lights! There was more than a few times I found myself rolling into intersections because of a slushbox torque convertor and me not stepping on the brake hard enough.

If you're using it for its intended purpose as a Jeep, I'd go with the automatic. After taking my XTerra off road, a clutch is one thing I'd rather not have to worry about, especially on rocks.

Last edited:
I had a 2007 Ford Focus hatchback with a 5-speed manual and an FSWerks stage 2 turbo kit. The clutch was an Exedy stg 2. I had to go through the traffic on the DC beltway every day. My left calf was definitely bigger than my right calf. I don't ever want to do that again.

All of my cars are automatics now.

Originally Posted by PimTac
It's a personal choice and you may have answered your question with the reference to Atlanta traffic. Is this going to be a commuter vehicle during the week and a mountain climber on the weekends?

Mostly a pleasure vehicle - head to the mountains, etc. I have my truck for battlings downtown Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back