66-mile 1974 Ford Maverick might be most remarkable unremarkable barn find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worked for me. Amazing that somebody would pay $11,500+ for a rather boring, pedestrian example of mid '70s Big 3 junk with NO TITLE! Chances are, it's not going to ever be driven, it'll just sit in a museum somewhere. Maybe someone could find a nice ketchup colored one to put with it!
crazy.gif

Originally Posted by Cujet
An example of a truly awful car. Not competitive with any of the foreign competition of the time.

Sadly true, worth keeping around as a reminder of the opportunity that the Big 3 gave to Toyota, Honda and to a lesser extent VW nd the others...

That said, I hope it goes to a good home. I like time capsules.

Drove variations of this as company cars back in '76/'77 at my part-time job while going to school - a mustard-coloured 2-door '73 Mercury Comet with the 302, and a red '76 4-door Ford Maverick, also equipped with a 302. We referred to the Comet as 'the Vomit', based in part on its colour and in part on its nauseating driveability. Both Fords suffered from very overboosted power steering. I far preferred both of the other pool cars - a '76 Nova (pale yellow, inline-6, 4-door) and a c. '73 Toyota Corolla (4-door, with the reliable but power-robbing ToyoGlide 2-speed automatic).

Interesting find. Truly a time capsule from an odd time in automotive history.

Just curious - what was so great about the junkboxes coming out of Honda, Toyora, and Datsun in the 70's? They seemed to rust as soon as they came off the boat and were quite spartan and underpowered too. Was it the driving dynamics?

Edit - did some looking and they sure sold a lot of them - 2.1 million in 8 years.

Last edited:
Biggest problem with (almost all) of the cars from this cursed auto time period was the emissions equipment-mountains of vacuum lines everywhere, stupid add-ons like AIR pumps, lean burn carburetors, and gutless HP ratings. The Maverick was a serviceable, fairly slow, pretty boring miniature midsize RWD car that wasn't as good as a Nova, and comparable to a Dart or Valiant, and not really any different from a host of other Ford cars like the Granada, Fairmont, Torino, etc. from this era. Imagine if this was a Mustang, Camaro, or 'Vette, even from this era-this car would be well into the six digits.

Originally Posted by itguy08
Interesting find. Truly a time capsule from an odd time in automotive history.

Just curious - what was so great about the junkboxes coming out of Honda, Toyora, and Datsun in the 70's? They seemed to rust as soon as they came off the boat and were quite spartan and underpowered too. Was it the driving dynamics?

Edit - did some looking and they sure sold a lot of them - 2.1 million in 8 years.

Fuel economy. Waiting in long lines on your designated day to get ten gallons of gasoline prompted a lot of people to turn in their big sleds for the Datsuns and Honda's and Toyota's.

Gasoline hit $1.00 a gallon and then some but consider the wages at that time. I was making $2.25/hour. If gasoline was $7or 8 or 9 bucks a gallon today the same thing would be happening.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Imp4
Piece of crap.

Says the man driving the 20 year old Galant.

lol.gif

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Worked for me. Amazing that somebody would pay $11,500+ for a rather boring, pedestrian example of mid '70s Big 3 junk with NO TITLE! :

Maybe there, but up here a title wouldn't be needed. I've thought a few times of flying down south, finding something 20 years old that the owner couldn't find a title to, and bringing that home--I don't need a title for pre-2000, and anything 20 & older doesn't have to pass OBDII check either.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by R1jake
My question is why buy a new maverick and 4 door mustard color at that to take home and park for 35 years??

Maybe the owner got sick or something along those lines? Life takes a turn when you least expect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back